PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Pick 37, Patriots Select Safety Kyle Dugger (Division2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
In depth discussion. Could play 4 positions. Man among boys in Division2, apparently rocked the Senior Bowl. Never saw his name on any threads this week. Classic pick by Belichick and his dog.

Last edited:
asks the obligatory ... Who?

Can’t wait to see him get traded for a conditional 6th rounder in 2021.

edit: okay that’s too harsh. But man how many DB’s can Bill hoard?

A safety that wasn't even on a bunch of people's boards taken in the 2nd round? Who would've thought?

That said, if nothing else his measurables are eye-popping. He's clearly a legit athlete, looks to project as Chung's successor: Kyle Dugger - MockDraftable

2. KYLE DUGGER, Lenoir-Rhyne (6-1, 217, 4.48, 2): Dugger didn’t start until his senior year in high school. His only offer was from NCAA Division II Lenoir-Rhyne, which is located in Hickory, N.C. “That’s in-between App State and Charlotte,” said one scout. “I like him. He’s tough and he can tackle. Technique-wise, he’s got a long ways to go because of where he played.” Started 42 games over six years, redshirting in 2014 and receiving a medical redshirt (meniscus) in ’16. “He has everything athletically that you want,” another scout said. “At the Senior Bowl, against very good competition, he showed up. For a small-school kid he knew exactly what they were doing. He’s just a great kid. I’d take him in the first round. He does miss tackles but it’s not because of a lack of want-to.” Dugger finished with 237 tackles (6 ½ for loss), 10 picks and 36 passes defensed. “He’s like (Isaiah) Simmons and (Jeremy) Chinn,” a third scout said. “Can play a lot of different spots. He can really run. It’s going to be a little bit of a transition coming from Division II, but he’s got all the tools.” He led the safeties in vertical jump (42), wingspan (78 ½), arm length (32 7/8), hand size (10 3/8) and body fat (4.0%) and scored 23 on the Wonderlic. “He’s real,” a fourth scout said. “He’s a fearless tackler. He’s got range. Makes plays all over the field. Man-to-man coverage skills. He may go in the second.” Dugger is from Decatur, Ga.

I was telling my best friend that the Pats first pick would be a no name safety. Bill can't resist throwing away 2nd round picks.

I take back my criticism of trading a 2nd for Sanu. It would have turned into a special team player

How is Captain Stone?

Ugghhhhh ... Hope my current opinion is wrong... We better get a dtackle and tightend later

Kyle Dugger. Exactly the guy I wanted.

giphy.gif

He will have a better career than Mckinney

Well let’s see how he turns out, the guy is also a good special team player.

Im' convinced Bill does dumb crap like that to prove he's smarter then everyone and the bs backfires.

LMAO. BB is intentionally trolling at this point. Trades out of the first and his next pick is a divison II safety in the second round that nobody has heard of.

The upside: the could end up working a lot like the Jamie Collins pick. Early second round after we trade out of the first, everyone's waiting for an impact pick, and Belichick comes off the top rope with some obscure-ish guy that most people consider a reach. Then everyone goes back and watches his film and realizes he's actually an insane athlete who projects well, and probably would've been higher on more people's boards if he didn't play on such a ****ty team.

That's pretty much the best case scenario, anyway. Mockdraftable lists his comps as Terrell Edmunds and Eric Berry, so that's great. Based on just watching a few minutes of highlights he kinda reminds me of Deone Bucannon. These are all good things IMO, I'm scratching my head a little just like everyone else but am cautiously optimistic.

I should really stop watching Patriot draft for ever. We always get some obscure pick at a position that was not a huge need over other more pressing needs. At the end of draft day I am usually depressed except for a couple of years !

Uh its ridiculous that y'all haven't heard of him. He was projected to go in the 2nd round in many, many mock drafts. He's incredibly athletic and fast - main knock is D2. More explosive McKinney who could probably play LB too.

Kyle Dugger

Explosive burst in zone-underneath-backfield. Big time clean up hitter. Brings that tone setter attitude.

Big time burst acceleration & speed.

Reliable tackler. Loves contact but won't sell out. Secure reliable here.

Has the agility, hips & speed to keep up with TEs. Has the hips to move throughout the MOF.

Big time leader on that D. Wants to be the man by example.

Big time combo of athleticism smart versatility. You'll see him in nickel, box Defender, linebacker and he has some range to play deep at times.

Great closing speed and lateral agility in movement. You'll see him how to spy, maybe hang Defender. This is somebody that you can move all over in a pinch and really not worried about.

Small school guy the dominated when stood up at every glance. That's exactly what you want in a small school player. Very little hesitation really gets from A to B quick. Good instincts and reaction.

Again think box/hang defender. A Menace In The Box, in that shallow area. He has the athleticism, speed to cut off those quick angles you see backs trying to get to.

I wish you was a bit more decisive at times. He could be a little more decisive imo.

Has to clean up his initial footwork coming off a play, coming down hill if you. Sometimes he's a bit late, a bit slow.

Not many glaring holes. Just have to find a home clean up a few things and he should be good to go. DMC and Chung are perfect mentors.

Last edited:
I get his name doesn't sound as smooth off the tongue as Grant Delpit or McKinney, but he's very good.

I was really happy he got picked because it wasn't a 6th round S/CB taken in the 2nd round this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes