PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pick 2, 3 or 4

How it will likely go down:

1. Chicago takes MHJ
2. Washington doesn’t know yet. Probably Williams.
3. If Maye is available, draft him. If not, take Daniels. Penix is lurking in the bushes.

If they end up with either Caleb Williams or Justin Fields, that will be the optimal result. With Fields you'd actually pick up an extra pick with a trade down.

Much rather see Fields here than Maye or Daniels.
Pats and Washington are the most qb needy teams. I personally like what I see from Caleb Williams. He would be a massive upgrade from what we’ve had since Brady left. I think he has the tools to succeed in today’s NFL. Washington is almost certainly going qb here. Sam Howell is not a long term option. so if the pats want Williams, they will need to trade with Chicago. Having said that, Marvin Harrison jr is a freak of nature, so if the bears were eyeing pairing him with Justin fields anyways, they would be willing to trade down to 3 since Harrison will be there.

How it will likely go down:

1. Chicago takes MHJ
2. Washington doesn’t know yet. Probably Williams.
3. If Maye is available, draft him. If not, take Daniels. Penix is lurking in the bushes.
If the bears want Harrison, he will still be there at 3. If we want Williams, Chicago will trade us the pick.

Four scenarios for the Patriots at #3:

EDIT: I screwed this up the first time

#1:
1. Bears take WR Harrison
2. Washington takes Caleb Williams
3. Patriots trade down and take an LT
4. Patriots take a WR and a QB early in the 2nd round

#2:
1. Bears take Harrison
2. Washington takes Drake Maye
3. Patriots take Caleb Williams
4. Patriots take a LT in the 2nd

#3:
1. Bears take Caleb Williams
3. Patriots trade down and take an LT
4. Patriots use a 2nd rounder (or 2025 1st rounder) to trade for Justin Fields, then take a WR in the early 2nd

#4:
1. Bears take Caleb Williams
3. Patriots take Harrison
4. Patriots use a 2nd rounder (or trade up) to take a QB (Penix)

#3 is my favorite scenario and #4 is my least favorite.
None of the above.

The Bears trade down, getting 4 picsks.

Bears are most likely taking a QB and trading Fields.

None of the above.

The Bears trade down, getting 4 picsks.
Why the hell would we take a tackle if the best athlete in Harrison jr is still on the board? That’s something bill would do

Pats and Washington are the most qb needy teams. I personally like what I see from Caleb Williams. He would be a massive upgrade from what we’ve had since Brady left. I think he has the tools to succeed in today’s NFL. Washington is almost certainly going qb here. Sam Howell is not a long term option. so if the pats want Williams, they will need to trade with Chicago. Having said that, Marvin Harrison jr is a freak of nature, so if the bears were eyeing pairing him with Justin fields anyways, they would be willing to trade down to 3 since Harrison will be there.
But since you know that the Bears are going with Harrison, you might as well let them pick him. If they pick Williams, make a deal with Fields.

My sense of the level of talent of the QBs goes like this:

Top starters/difference makers:

1. Caleb Williams
1A. Justin Fields

-------------------

50/50 bust potential

3. Drake Maye
3A. Michael Penix

-------------------

X Factor (could be incredibly good but has high bust potential)

X. J Daniels.

Bears are most likely taking a QB and trading Fields.
Bears dont have a good track record when it comes to qbs. They went with Mitch over Mahomes and it didn’t work out. They did the same thing with fields 3 years ago

I'd give up a 2nd for him
sure
Fields could be a 2-year transition for some team. A second would be a fine price for our veteran backup.

I's still draft a QB at 3.

AND give CHI a 2025 2nd to move up.

We need to sign a veteran who can start so we aren't pressured to grab a first round QB. Keep our options open for negotiation

at $80M guaranteed?
Yes. Absolutely. Cousins is worth $80M for 2 years. He is one of the most consistent and durable QB's over the last 9 years.
But above that - he is a true leader and a mature man of character. We could sign him in FA, AND draft either Daniels at #3, or trade down for Nix / McCarthy and get a winfall of talent. And let the new kid learn a couple years. Best of both worlds.
Cousins would bring this team immediately back to contention.

We need to sign a veteran who can start so we aren't pressured to grab a first round QB. Keep our options open for negotiation
You talk as if a first round QB would start Game 1, removing need for a veteran backup who can start if necessary.
===========================================
I want a top QB AND a veteran transition QB to start the season and be the backup through 2025 when our QB is ready to play.

Yes, evaluation is key. personally, I want one fot eh top 3, but I could see trading down to about 10 and taking one of the next three.

sure
Fields could be a 2-year transition for some team. A second would be a fine price for our veteran backup.

I's still draft a QB at 3.

AND give CHI a 2025 2nd to move up.
Fields is more talented than most of the QBs we're talking about. Certainly more than Maye. He throws a better ball, is more compact, more athletic, can see downfield pretty well.

How many times do you expect us to pick top 3? Now is the exact time to pick a QB. We are at rock bottom. What great vet is out there? We aren’t contending with Cousins, he’ll just get us to mediocrity.

Yes, it’s risky, but now is when we need to take our shot at QB.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back