PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Emerging rumors of BB and SP to Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I heard at one point the Pats were going to make BB a lifetime contract. After his coaching days, he would assume a position like Red Auerbach.

I can not remember the source. I think it might have been Felger.

I thought I heard at one point the Pats were going to make BB a lifetime contract. After his coaching days, he would assume a position like Red Auerbach.

I can not remember the source. I think it might have been Felger.

Makes much sense considering his fondness for New England ... he loves living here.

On his radio show yesterday, Felger said he "wouldn't be shocked" if BB left the Pats. He says he hears whispers that things aren't as honky dory between BB and Kraft as we think. Nothing big just a whole bunch of little things that he's heard. He also said BB and the other former Giant guys romanticize their time with Giants. (Which makes me laugh because you know when their time with the Patriots is over, it'll seem like they are romanticizing those teams as well.)

I'm just repeating what Felger said mind you. I often feel he's just trying to make good radio rather than providing inside information. And when he claims to have inside info he's sometimes wrong. I didn't get to hear the Big Show but I'm sure they think this is alot of bunk.

I dismissed all this talk at the beginning, but it's taking on a life of its own and I'm starting to think that where there's smoke, there's fire. Reminds me of how the Parcells' stuff got started and built a decade ago, including, as I recall, rumors of involvement by Mrs. Kraft as well. The Krafts and Belichick have to put an end to the talk or it could well become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

First Off Scott Pioli is listed as the "Vice President" of the Patriots, meaning unless the Giants want to offer him a higher job (i.e. the "President of the Giants" which is currently held by one of the Tisch or Mara sons), Pioli can not break his contract with the Pats to go to the Gaints. So unless Kraft is going to let him go (absolutely not going to happen) Pioli is not going anywhere.

BB- hates the media, and hates attention to his personal life. So he is going to move to the media capital of the world? Right!

This is typical NY media BS! Pioli had a chance to go to San Diego a few years ago and he didn't go. Why would he go to the Jersey swamps? And "he who shall not be named" is no longer married to his wife's mother, so their is not great draw there either. Plus who would want to live in the city you are named for?

I don't really understand why people get bent-of-shape when people discuss rumors and speculation about what's going on inside Patriots management.

I never saw www.pft.com before but that's some interesting stuff.

I also don't understand why anyone would call Myra Kraft the "dragon lady" if she didn't like Bill Belichick personally. I have nothing against either person, I don't know either of them personally, never met them, so my only opinion is based on their media image as it is perceived by me. I am under the impression that both the Krafts and BB are democrats, after all.

But my point is that we don't really know what's going on. However, we do know that they are losing players to free agency at a time when they have cap money to spend.

First Off Scott Pioli is listed as the "Vice President" of the Patriots, meaning unless the Giants want to offer him a higher job (i.e. the "President of the Giants" which is currently held by one of the Tisch or Mara sons), Pioli can not break his contract with the Pats to go to the Gaints. So unless Kraft is going to let him go (absolutely not going to happen) Pioli is not going anywhere.

This is typical NY media BS! Pioli had a chance to go to San Diego a few years ago and he didn't go. Why would he go to the Jersey swamps? And "he who shall not be named" is no longer married to his wife's mother, so their is not great draw there either. Plus who would want to live in the city you are named for?

This is not entirely true...From today's Daily News...

***The 41-year-old Pioli, in his seventh season as the Pats' vice president of player personnel, is still under contract in New England, but according to two people familiar with the Giants' GM search, the Giant owners have discussed contacting him before they make a hire. According to several sources, Pioli - from Washingtonville, N.Y., about 60 miles north of Manhattan - has always coveted the Giants job.

If the Giants get serious about Pioli, they could only interview him after the Patriots are eliminated from the playoffs or in the week after the wild-card round. According to NFL rules, the Giants could hire him without having to compensate the Patriots if they give him "final say" over all personnel matters - something he does not have in New England.***

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/483981p-407419c.html

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they gave him final say and he left, but the article also says that Belichick is under contract thru at least 2007 making it extremely unlikely he goes too.

If the Giants get serious about Pioli, they could only interview him after the Patriots are eliminated from the playoffs or in the week after the wild-card round. According to NFL rules, the Giants could hire him without having to compensate the Patriots if they give him "final say" over all personnel matters - something he does not have in New England.***
all indications are the Giants want to hire quickly once the season if over, with th epossibility of waiting for Pioli only to get shot down vs. getting someone available at this time - I say they go with the available option
remember the owner who passed also is the one who hired Coughlin so it would be hire a front office then a coach if Coughlin is indeed let go

That might be true. Also a Mara is in the mix. Are they going to pass on one of the founding family members? I don't know the answer to that. But even a VP position to a GM position is considered an up move and doesn't require compensation. That was my point.

All of these rumors are emanating from league sources and the Giants. They are simply trying to distract their fan base and the NY media from the mess they made of the last couple of seasons of Wellington Mara's life as an NFL owner. Apparently Ernie Acorsi wanted to hire Charlie rather than Generalisimo Coughlin and was over ruled by the Mara's. Now Acorsi is retiring and Coughlin is a lame duck with one foot out the door, the RB who has kept their heads above water is opting for early retirement, and they are stuck with Eli contractually along with a bunch of backstabbing fingerpointing jerks nobody in that organization can control.

It would take a Pioli/Belichick type of partnership to ever straighten that mess out, so they are laying the foundation for saying they tried. Their fallback is Casserly, which speaks volumes.

Scott has been free to go any time for the simple price of a title. Bill too for that matter as they allow him to sign incremental contracts at his discretion. They choose to stay and that is what represents value to this franchise. Scott walked away from a $15M contract offer with final say from Paul Allen in Seattle two winters ago because he wanted to remain here rather than spar with Holmgren who was being stripped of his personnel authority. He knows that this job which ownership he understands the relationship with from personal experience is his for life and he would get full GM control and name his own HC were BB to leave. (According to Felger and Hart yesterday that would never be Charlie which hints at some personal animosities in that relationship.) BB has full control here although he doesn't flaunt it which is why Pioli is content to remain. His stock only rises. And for all we know his bank account - since they never let us know what either of them is pulling in.

This is much ado about the Giants trying to romaticize their franchise and link it back to it's heyday so fans and media will shift focus from the mess it has become to what it might once again be. Nothing more or less.

Another reason to hate the Jints, their disengenuous psy-ops polluting our org's reputation

If there was no truth to these rumors, you would think that BB or Kraft would issue a definitive statement to that effect. After all, this issue is a distraction to the team and an embarrassment to BB, and it would be very easy to make it go away by saying, "BB plans on staying with the Patriots for many more seasons." Has any reporter actually asked BB or Kraft about these rumors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back