PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Personnel Misses

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok with me to wait on beisel

b72s said:
This week the press is saying the brass uncharacteristically missed on FAs Brown, Beisel and Starks.

I agree on maybe 2 of 3. But we need to give Beisel some time similar to Bruschi's rise.

Just Like Tedy did, he needs to learn the system and fully convert to Linebacker from a down lineman. The Mike is a huge responsibility in the pats system.

It took Tedy a more than a few years to go from special teamer to full time Mike.

I just think it may be a little early to give up on him and he is apparently frustrated with his play and the conversion (i.e. Curran incident) but unless we draft another LB, we can do a lot worse than having Beisel being tutored by Tedy.

Does anyone think there is some value?
as to brown (35) and starks (31), a little too late to think of them as players who'll grow into the system.
IMHO, bringing beisel in to transition would reflect sosme growing concerns about banta-cain and klecko. but who knows? da shadow do.

Does anyone else realize that Klecko's days as a Pat are numbered? We have not even heard his name mentioned this year. He just isn't good enough at anything to stick around. And about Brown and Biesel...I don't think it was ever intended for them to be starters by any stretch. Starks I would only bring back at a DRASTICALLY reduced salary as a 4-5 corner. I doubt he would even want to return though after the beating he took from fans and the media.

AndyJohnson said:
Mg,
I think that the ILB position was a case of making the best out of a bad situation.

BB liked Beisel, and probably would have signed him even if Bruschi, Phifer and TJ were all ready to go. He got elevated out of necessity.

Brown was a good football player who was available, and in a position with little depth. Again, I think BB signs him even if there wasnt a clear role.

I wouldnt judge it a personnel mismanagement unless there were other players available that they passed on. But I dont think there were.

Because of the record of personnel decisions, I think we sometimes fall into the trap of thinking BB can always find what he wants.
The stark reality is that sometimes all of the options arent good ones. It is entirely possible that BB wasn't exactly thrilled with Beisel and Brown being starting ILBs, but it was the best of string of weak choices.

That said, somehow I have this feeling that Beisel and or Brown will make some type of key play in a playoff game, whether its on defense or special teams, and could go down 'genius role player acquisitions'. It seems par for the course around here, doesnt it?

AJ, you make an interesting point. It's not like we aquire players in a vacuum. There are only so many FA's to choose from. That said, the more I learned of Beisel the more I liked him. I'm still holding out hope for him, although he hasn't seen the field much as of late. Indeed, Brown is more someone who can provide some depth as opposed to being counted on as starter. By the way, I wonder if those calling for Johnson to be cut are missing him now? Just a thought.

I must admit that I'm one of those who has a little more respect for Starks after learning of the severity of the injury. That said, I thougth a 3rd was a little high for him. And being just under 170lbs, the thougth of someone only a few pounds heavier than me playing corner is a little scary.

I doo agree that the 3rd was to much, but I do think they did overestimate how good he was. That said, I think when healthy he could still be a pretty good Nickel/Dime guy. Not 3rd round pick good, but good. The good news is that you can count on Denny Green to Screw it up and draft a crappy player ala Arrington.

this thread sucks

IMO, here we are looking like the ship is now on coarse and this thread is complaning about some FA misses?

Because of all of the injuries, we will never know if the FA's were all busts. We had two playing out of position. Another two playing hurt and going on IR.

Let's just be thankful that the coaching staff made the adjustments and we are looking like a contender again.

Last edited:
Our greatest need was at ILB. Okay, I'm fine with your analysis if there wan't really anyone much better, and bb and pioli are much better judges than I am.
However, you imply that you weren't willing to pay more to fill this spot that for any other free agent. Why not, other than there wasn't anyone we wanted?

AndyJohnson said:
Its fair that you dont want to look it up. But I think it was very thin.

You characterized what he got as a special teamer and an OLB.

However, Beisel was a STARTING MLB in KC. When Brown was signed there were volumes written about how there should be no problem shifting inside.

Other than spending frivilously, I dont know how we would have done better.

Question: If 10 players are available and they all suck, if you sign the best one because you need a player was that bad management?

Check out the list someone posted. There wasnt a lot out there.

The ones that look like they would have been good pickups were priced higher than any FA we brought in. By the way, Hartwell was brought in but elected to sign elsewhere.

Yes, the primary adjustment that was made was that Bruschi came back!!!!!

PATSNUTme said:
IMO, here we are looking like the ship is now on coarse and this thread is complaning about some FA misses?

Because of all of the injuries, we will never know if the FA's were all busts. We had two playing out of position. Another two playing hurt and going on IR.

Let's just be thankful that the coaching staff made the adjustments and we are looking like a contender again.

I saw Phifer got signed by the Giants on the NFL Network ticker.

kind of interesting.

Mg,
I wasnt really implying we were willing to spend MORE at other positions. But look at what we brought in thruogh FA this year.

Brown
Beisel----cant really put them in this argument because they were theb alternative, right?

Terrell
Dwight
Starks (traded but same on the cap)
Scott
Flutie

Did I miss anyone?

Look at that list. We spent next to nothing on FAs. When you account for the roster spot cost of any player, we may not have been able to sign 1 high priced ILB for the cost of all of them, but probably could have.

What else do all of these have in common? Almost no LONG TERM cost. So while it may have been possible to spend SOME more money at ILB this year, the cost factor may well be the long-term cost impact. We dont sign FAs with only this years cap in mind.

We also kept Fas and tender our crucial RFAs. We wouldn't have been able to do that if we went after a high priced ILB. (Not to mention there may have been none available OR willing to come here)

Your posts souind as if we had a bankroll and chose to spend it on other postions. We used the whole cap, and didnt spend very much at all on FA.

If you call this off-season bad personell management, the alternative would have been many fewer players signed, and longer term mismanagement.

Again, that decision may have never even been needed to be made, because there may have been no one who fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes