PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Paul Perillo Made an Excellent Point on Mac vs. Zappe

Like I said. Pushing an agenda.
An agenda is something that majority don’t agree with and you are trying to convince them.

The poll shows this is majority opinion. At this stage saying Mac is not disappointing is pushing an agenda.

An agenda is something that majority don’t agree with and you are trying to convince them.

The poll shows this is majority opinion. At this stage saying Mac is not disappointing is pushing an agenda.
Thats not what agenda means. it has nothing to do with the majority. Its when you have a goal or outcome that you are trying to achieve but perhaps aren't being totally open about it. I.e you might subtly change the wording of a question on a questionnaire in order to get the response you were hoping for

Yeah, stats in football are very misleading. I remember a few weeks ago based on the stats alone, Carson Wentz was one of the best QBs in football this year. And I think think people get too cute coming up with these advanced analytics that wows the people who follow them and really don't mean crap.
Seeing is believing.

For the TL;DW crowd he basically says that at the beginning of the year the Pats were trying to become more explosive because Bill knows we need that to compete with the class of the AFC and with that comes more mistakes. He doesn't absolve Mac for the mistakes that he made during that time, but he does point out they haven't tried anything like that with Zappe, and that's a lot of the reason why Zappe looks better.

It's degree of difficulty, and this is what I have been thinking since Zappe started playing. OF COURSE Zappe hasn't made the same mistakes as Mac because he hasn't been asked to do the things Mac was early in the season. Zappe has basically been asked to do what Mac did last year.

This was kind of obvious from the start. Also, typically the sophomore year has always been challenging for young players as teams get a full year of tape to come up with ways to play them. The challenge then lies for that player to improve in those areas. I think last night you also saw the Bears figuring out Zappe. I can understand Patriot fan’s frustration, but they went way overboard with Zappe, he basically accomplished a little of what Mac did last year. Which is something they discredit now in Mac’s case. The cheering of Zappe’s name like Brady, after beating the Lions was ridiculous.

How about the team's two best WR's Meyers and Thornton were mostly absent for Mac? And Bourne was benched.

It's tough to look good with Parker, Aggie, and Lil Jordan as your big three.
A lot if things go into it. Against the Lions and Browns we could run the ball really well too.

I think Mac may be at a disadvantage having to learn a totally different offense with new coaches after learning a different one last year.

I think Mac may be at a disadvantage having to learn a totally different offense with new coaches after learning a different one last year.
You might be right, but I thought he was drafted for his smarts. I was expecting him to be able process and adjust more than he has shown so far.

Last edited:
The idea that it's a totally different offense is nonsense. It's 98 percent the same stuff they've run for 22 years.

The idea that it's a totally different offense is nonsense. It's 98 percent the same stuff they've run for 22 years.
What’s next then? If you can’t blame the system, who’s responsible for lack of performance? Constant miscommunications by players that have spent several years together in the same system at this point? Poor play design? 98% same system, but COMPLETELY different results. Players are supposed to get a better understanding of a system the more they spend time in it, not get worse. What happened?

What’s next then? If you can’t blame the system, who’s responsible for lack of performance? Constant miscommunications by players that have spent several years together in the same system at this point? Poor play design? 98% same system, but COMPLETELY different results. Players are supposed to get a better understanding of a system the more they spend time in it, not get worse. What happened?
They don't have a franchise QB. Whether either of the QBs they DO have will ever develop into one is an open question.

They don't have a franchise QB. Whether either of the QBs they DO have will ever develop into one is an open question.
I agree. At this moment, we have no franchise qb. Hopeful someone fills that void sooner rather than later. That’s not the only issue with the offense though.

Last edited:

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Back