PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade 69 (3rd) to Chargers for 160 (5th), 2009 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this logic. In that case, the Pats should use their early 3rd rounder and trade away their later picks.

They must figure the guy they want will be there for the later pick. That's all.

I think both of those things prob played a part in it. Their were prob a lot of variable that led them to make the deal.

BTW, We are already back on the clock. Lets see what they do.

All pick panickers. By this time in the draft any of these guys could be picked next, or go undrafted. It's as simple as that.

Biolichick couldn't care less about anybody's top 200 list, they have their prospects selected.

That can't miss guy ranked number 50 and still on the board doesn't interest them, fit their style, or whatever.

They only want their players and if they can get a second next year and still pick up equally rated players for their system with two 3's and a 5, then they've stolen a pick.

Last edited:
Just a thought but what if we take the Chargers 2nd round pick and our last 3rd rounder and trade them for Jason Taylor or something to that effect?

I don't like it.

The Chargers pick will most likely be late in the round. So we're getting a low 2nd rounder next year for a high 3rd rounder this year plus a 5th rounder.

I would have liked to keep the pick and then look for another team to do the same thing with pick #78.

I don't like it.

The Chargers pick will most likely be late in the round. So we're getting a low 2nd rounder next year for a high 3rd rounder this year plus a 5th rounder.

I would have liked to keep the pick and then look for another team to do the same thing with pick #78.

Maybe, but there aren't many trading partners willing to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder in next year, so they jumped on this opportunity. SD wanted someone right there at 69, and we had another pick at 78, so you do it. It was the perfect scenario.

SD's pick will undoubtedly be in the mid-high 50's next year, so we'll have two of them probably between 55 and 62. That will be a great thing next year, gives you tremendous flexibility to pick, move up, move down, package with our 1st to move up from 30+ to the mid-teens of round 1, etc., without losing your position in the second round.

I think this was a good move--you already had 3 third rounders and with the team you have, it's going to be tough for rookies to make an impact and for some, even make the team. May as well reload for next year when you may need it (also, not sure if the commish can take this one away if there are further Spygate issues--anyone know the answer to that?). In addition, while I doubt it will happen, a few key injuries and bad luck and SD might be worse than folks think next year....

Re: Pats trade 69 to Chargers

Why are the Pats giving away some good picks that may make the Chargers possibly stronger? - Whats up with this? - I don't understand

Building for the future, getting a 2nd for next year is good.

thanks for jacob hester guys, good luck with the 5th and future 2nd rounder

I don't understand all those saying this is brilliant, great value.

They trade a very early third for a very late second next year, and only gain a fifth?
Usually you get a nice bonus for trading into the future.

This would have been great value if it had been late third for next year's second, not early third.

They trade a very early third for a very late second next year, and only gain a fifth?

This would have been great value if it had been late third for next year's second, not early third.
NE must feel this draft sucks compared to the potential of next years

as for the chargers i believe they had pick 166 anyway for losing donnie edwards, so they didn't really need that extra 5th rounder

they're willing to give away future picks at this point for people they think will make them better (chambers, weddle, hester)

Seriously though Jacob Hester is going to score a TD on us at some point. I just hope it's not a winning one. That kid was the biggest gamer in the draft IMO.

I love this trade... they moved up a minimum of 5 picks (that would make the Chargers SB champs) and a max of 36 picks (that would make the Chargers this year's 'fins)... neither is likely IMHO (but who knows, really?)... I'd say that we moved up roughly 10 picks (into next year's draft) AND picked up an extra pick this year.... all in all, I'll take it. This is an example of what makes me love Bioli even more every year.... gives us a bunch of flexibility next year.... good, Good stuff.

Who cares..It's a 2nd round pick for a third round. We still got a LB out of it, BB had 3 choices so it's obvious he knew who he wanted.

In effect, the Patriots move from 7 to 10 in the first round netted them a 2 next year. Pretty good return by BB/SP for a three slot move.

Over a 2 year period they turned a late 3 into a late 2 on a team that has limited space for rookies anyway while still drafting 2 CBs and 2 LBs.

Re: Pats trade 69 to Chargers for

This is a perfect example of how BB-SP operate and why they are so successful. They set up the '09 draft with an extra 2nd rounder, and at the same time fill the only hole in today's draft board, as we'd traded away our 5th yesterday. SD had no picks today until the 5th, so they were desperate to do something.
Great move.

Could not agree more! :rocker:

Re: Pats trade 69 to Chargers

Yeah but they took Jacob Hester who would have made the perfect Patriot. :(

Pats don't value fullbacks. They pick them up as UDFAs if they are interested. I thought you knew this...

The extra 2nd rounder from the Chargers next year could be a big piece for a trade up deal for Malauga or another highly rated guy. You'll be happy then that the Pats made this deal.

Not great value, but that's their M.O. -- mediocre to poor value on most pick trades, coupled with the occasional screaming steal.

I'll take a shot at defending and being excited about this move.

With the three 3rd-rounders, I'd have been very surprised if we actually picked 3 players, cause it's too expensive. We'd already picked 10th and 62nd, and had 2 other 3rd's to pick.

The Pats had to be thinking overnight that they'd try to make a next-year play, which they love to do every year anyway. To actually get a 2nd rounder is probably better than they thought they'd do. The Chargers kind of bailed us out. Plus we had another 3rd round pick 9 choices later, so we could afford to let #69 go.

San Diego's pick will most likely be between 52 and 60, so call it 56, to go along with our 60-64 (64 hopefully). Holding the 56th and 64th picks is a GREAT place to be. We can pick a player in a great part of the draft, or we can move down, do another next-year deal, or use it to move up from 32 to the teens in round 1.

We also got a 5th to fill a hole on our board, with which we picked Slater, who stands a decent chance of making the squad for low low money.

I agree in a perfect world you'd get a little more for a next year choice, but all things considered, the Pats more than landed on their feet with this trade.

Last edited:
Sweet.

My take: They got their guy in Wheatley, they still have a high 3rd and a low third.

Also, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Diego fall apart. People underestimate the awful chemistry of whiners and finger pointers on that team and in their front office.

Obviously not a guarantee, but I'll throw it out there.

Break out the smelling salt. You are dreaming. Unless you think 13-3 is falling apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore