PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to sign Torry Holt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping Tate can make a solid contribution. I'm not holding my breath for a draft pick to come in and make an impact, but I hope I'm wrong.

would not be suprised to see the pats take a flyer on a couple of productive possession type (rich gunnell) in day 3......

In standard 3 WR formations I do. Except if Welker is out, then Edelman takes his spot.

Assuming Moss and Welker are playing, I expect Edelman and Tate to battle it out for 4th/5th WR snaps unless one looks terrific and just beats out Holt which is possible but less than 50-50 IMO given their (lack of) experience.

i would much rather it be the other way around. edelman provides some youth. when he gets tired, perhaps then Holt can fill in. I don't see teams being as afraid of Holt as they would Edelman.

i would much rather it be the other way around. edelman provides some youth. when he gets tired, perhaps then Holt can fill in. I don't see teams being as afraid of Holt as they would Edelman.
Edelman got most of his snaps as a slot WR last year, he has a way to go as the X or the Z. Down the road maybe.

I actually hear Torry Holt and think of the guy who had 750 receiving yards last season with Garrard throwing the football.

Then I remember balls bouncing off Sam Aiken's chest at least twice a game and feel that at the very least we now have a more reliable option in the passing game. Some young talent is still needed, but the Holt signing means an upgrade over what he had last year.

If Welker was a guarantee to be playing the whole year then it would be a good signing, but we dont need another decent #3 WR at the end of his career. The Pats need a #2 WR that can make big plays, Torry Holt is not that type of guy. Nothing to get so excited about like some fans are.

If [WR signed to extremely agreeable contract] is better than Sam Aiken; it was a good deal.

Honestly, show me someone who thinks Sam Aiken us better than Holt and I'll show you a troll.

Holt's here to develop Mardy Gilyard.
smiley_emoticons_xmas4_kaffee2.gif

There were alot better options out there about 2 months ago, it looks like this is what we have to settle for, funny how you left out the 0 TD's stat from last year.

KoolAid Bauer, you would think BB signing Keyshawn out of the booth would be a great sigining, so why should I care about you and all your homerism KoolAid thoughts ? You take homerism to the next level.

100% agree

Fans are so hungry for any impact signing and signs of life from the FO, they will spin this as brilliant good value pick up.

If Welker was a guarantee to be playing the whole year then it would be a good signing, but we dont need another decent #3 WR at the end of his career. The Pats need a #2 WR that can make big plays, Torry Holt is not that type of guy. Nothing to get so excited about like some fans are.

Well, I wanted Boldin but Torry Holt is not a bad pick-up. He may not be able to burn the defense deep anymore but he still runs crisp routes and is bright. He'll be where Brady expects him to be, is MUCH better than Sam Aiken, and comes cheap. Not to mention that he hasn't played with a QB of Brady's calibur since early on in his career when he had Warner (who still isn't Brady's calibur). This is a good signing and should help to take some of the heat off of Moss and Welker (when he returns).

I love this signing.....he had a decent season at Jacksonville last year.....how can any of you not expect better numbers here in NE?

Do I want to see some action in the draft still.....yup....but this gives us some solid depth.

Those of you thinking he is another Galloway.....get a grip on it....no comparison whatever.....Holt has much better hands and has played in a very complicated offense for a lot of years.....I think he will have a very nice year for us.

ugh, Joey Galloway 2.0

He actually has more benefit then Galloway as stated earlier in the thread. 4 years younger, more productive not coming off injury, and better fit for the system. that's probably why they paid more money to him (1.7mil) then they did to galloway (1.1mil).

I don't see it as a bad signing. It's probably just insurance for Welker and Edelman. (Welker being injured and Edelman may not be able to last the full season)

He's better than Stanback and Aiken, that's for sure.

If [WR signed to extremely agreeable contract] is better than Sam Aiken; it was a good deal.

Honestly, show me someone who thinks Sam Aiken us better than Holt and I'll show you a troll.

Apples and Oranges really. Aiken is a ST who just so happen to have a smidgen of WR ability last year. Holt is a WR who provides nothing to ST.

nice Torry Holt catch from last year.

NFL Videos: Holt 63-yard catch

That link gives weight to my last point. He doesn't have burner speed anymore but his route running is still as crisp as ever. He'll be able to give us quite a bit more than any receiver we had on our roster not named Moss or Welker gave us this past season.

100% agree

Fans are so hungry for any impact signing and signs of life from the FO, they will spin this as brilliant good value pick up.

Riddler, this is when you should probably know that you're viewpoints are a little off base, to say the least. Do you really want a Jets fan troll telling you that you're 100% correct?

:bricks:

Apples and Oranges really. Aiken is a ST who just so happen to have a smidgen of WR ability last year. Holt is a WR who provides nothing to ST.

Fair enough that Holt won't contribute on ST, but I don't think it's an enormous leap of faith to say that he is a superior WR to Sam Aiken which is a far more pressing concern than ST, currently.

Well, I wanted Boldin but Torry Holt is not a bad pick-up. He may not be able to burn the defense deep anymore but he still runs crisp routes and is bright. He'll be where Brady expects him to be, is MUCH better than Sam Aiken, and comes cheap. Not to mention that he hasn't played with a QB of Brady's calibur since early on in his career when he had Warner (who still isn't Brady's calibur). This is a good signing and should help to take some of the heat off of Moss and Welker (when he returns).

But the signing of Holt doesn't solve the problem at WR. The team still needs to add another guy to play the role as #2 WR until Welker returns. How do you feel with, Moss, Holt, Edelman, Tate/Aiken/Patten as your WRs to start the season? Defenses can still put all their attention on Moss and I feel like the Patriots still dont have another WR that can beat defenses on their own.

The odds of Holt being another Galloway are slim

BB can't pick up another old man dud at WR two years straight

Can he????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST