PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats To Host McGee(QB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 4th option at QB but not a 4th QB, the roster is too deep for that.

McDaniels needs to come calling for O'Connell :)

So we'd need to unload one first and it's more likely to be O'C than Gutz? Wow:eek:

I would not doubt this, although I'm not sure that the Pats want to go into the season without a back-up that actually knows the system. I guess when you think about it, Cassel was around for 4 years, and still didn't know the playbook until he got under center for a few weeks. Right now, Denver still has Chris Simms, but I would not be suprized if McDaniels came calling after O'Connell or Gutz.

Wha do you think would be a fair value for O'Connell? , I highly doubt that Denver would send the Pats their second round pick (#48), I think a fair swap for O'Connell would be Denver's 3rd (#79) or a condictional pick.

I guess that BB could always trade O'Connell and sign Jeff Garcia, he would be a more than capable back-up to TFB.

Last edited:
So we'd need to unload one first and it's more likely to be O'C than Gutz? Wow:eek:
I was just kidding - although it does make sense if McDaniels liked what he saw from O'Connell. I doubt it would happen, though, I think McDaniels would get ridiculed for going after Cassel then O'Connell.

I would not doubt this, although I'm not sure that the Pats want to go into the season without a back-up that actually knows the system. I guess when you think about it, Cassel was around for 4 years, and still didn't know the playbook until he got under center for a few weeks. Right now, Denver still has Chris Simms, but I would not be suprized if McDaniels came calling after O'Connell or Gutz.

Wha do you think would be a fair value for O'Connell? , I highly doubt that Denver would send the Pats their second round pick (#48), I think a fair swap for O'Connell would be Denver's 3rd (#79) or a condictional pick.

I guess that BB could always trade O'Connell and sign Jeff Garcia, he would be a more than capable back-up to TFB.

That's what we paid for him. Forget it.

Josh Freeman is going to be a first round pick - again, I was just kidding but playing along I wouldn't trade O'Connell for less than the Denver #1 in 2010 with maybe us throwing in a pick from our bounty this year.

While I am happy with the #34 pick for Cassel, O'Connell doesn't come with a $15M bill so while he's unproven he has a lot of value with great physical tools plus a year of NFL development.

All joking aside, Gutierrez was cut before last season. The Pats' actions to this point look to me like a show of confidence in O'C as the backup, and a show of no-confidence in Gutierrez as the developmental prospect.

All joking aside, Gutierrez was cut before last season. The Pats' actions to this point look to me like a show of confidence in O'C as the backup, and a show of no-confidence in Gutierrez as the developmental prospect.
Definitely does. Brady, O'Connell, low round rookie should be the QB for 2010.

I'm not sure I'd call this a vote of no-confidence in Gute just yet, we know they want a camp arm, no reason not to get the most competitive prospect they can find.

There's a world of difference between not knowing the playbook and not being able to handle game speed. If the former had been Cassel's problem, he wouldn't have been a Patriot in 2008.

Also, there is no logical reason to trade O'Connell for anything less than a first-round pick. First off, it would cost the Pats cap room to trade him this season. Second, if Josh is interested in trading for him, that implies O'Connell's too good to trade away at all. (The converse, however, is not true.)

Not no confidence, I think, so much as "no room at the inn."

if Josh is interested in trading for him, that implies O'Connell's too good to trade away at all.

Well put.

Is anybody seriously contemplating trading away Brady's backup? As he's rehabbing from a major injury? With nobody else in the wings except a guy who was cut last summer? Really?

The Pats' actions to this point look to me like a show of confidence in O'C as the backup, and a show of no-confidence in Gutierrez as the developmental prospect.

At that point had BB made it official yet that he was starting Matt? I can't remember but for some reason sending Gutz to the PS seemed like a vote of confidence for Cassel as much as maybe O'C; Gutz had more experience,he looked ok during preseason (remember,O'C played mostly or all scrubs) and keeping a rookie as back-up really showed BB had complete confidence in Matt and intended to keep him at center for the duration.

EDIT: There was a lot of Cassel controversy and negativity going around at that time too, that's why I'm wondering if Gutz went before or after BB officially declared Matt his man.

Last edited:
Is anybody seriously contemplating trading away Brady's backup? As he's rehabbing from a major injury? With nobody else in the wings except a guy who was cut last summer? Really?
Everyone has his price - except #12 - especially as we don't actually know what O'Connell would do in a game. I'm not wanting him traded - but I would certainly consider strong offers.

Well put.

I'd be pretty shocked if O'C was traded, especially in favor of another draftee. BB would have to have 100% confidence in Brady's knee stamina etc. :eek: plus a lot more confidence in Gutz than we realize.

I'd be pretty shocked if O'C was traded, especially in favor of another draftee.
In the very unlikely scenario that he was traded, I would expect Gutierrez to be gone, the draftee to be #3 and a veteran like Garcia as the backup.

I'd be pretty shocked if O'C was traded, especially in favor of another draftee. BB would have to have 100% confidence in Brady's knee stamina etc. :eek: plus a lot more confidence in Gutz than we realize.

I think O'Connell passed Guit on the depth chart last season. I'm thinking BB sees more in O'Connel than Giut.

However if we draft a third stringer like Barnstater, then maybe BB can ship Guit to Denver. McDaniels needs a lot of help at QB at the moment.

if we draft a third stringer like Barnstater, then maybe BB can ship Guit to Denver. McDaniels needs a lot of help at QB at the moment.

What would we get in return? Josh is the enemy now; if we help him it has to be for good reason:D

In the very unlikely scenario that he was traded, I would expect Gutierrez to be gone, the draftee to be #3 and a veteran like Garcia as the backup.

We definitely don't want Garcia on the Pats..... Living in the Tampa area I see a lot of him in games on local TV and hear him babbling non-stop. He'll never play for the Pats.

O'Connell is not going anywhere. Period!

As far as Josh Daniels problems in Denver.... Draft one you like with your first pick and get what you can for "cry me a river" Cutler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back