PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign Special Teams Standout Justin Bethel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the Raves would have cut him if they knew the Pats would sign him.
I have a feeling that they aren't too worried about some former STer of theirs coming to town and helping his new team beat them.

Well he didn't come that cheap - about the same we are playing Slater.
Well special teams is the third unit of Football. Extremely important. If you want to pay Veteren min then you have a bunch of scrubs. If you want the upper echelon of that unit you must pay up. I am OK with that

I have a feeling that they aren't too worried about some former STer of theirs coming to town and helping his new team beat them.
I meant out of spite, not any fear of playing against a special teamer.

Do most teams totally under value core ST players. This guy was out there for the taking and he got to the Patriots. When Brandon King went down in the pre season I was bummed. Looks like we got a Christmas gift early

We pounced on him right away. This organization is always on its toes. Meanwhile, the Browns FO always punches out at 5pm, every weekday.

Yes, I agree. Overrated.

But I believe there are small tendencies that can be gleaned from it.
Small, and not game changing, but a little.
It definitely doesn't hurt.:D

Some teams don't morph as well as the Pats game plans do,

Of course that is just this casual fans opinion.
Lol ravens fans on Reddit calling it cheating. They cut the guy

Right now we are 14th in special teams DVOA. Bethel could help us get into the top 5. This will be huge.

Well special teams is the third unit of Football. Extremely important. If you want to pay Veteren min then you have a bunch of scrubs. If you want the upper echelon of that unit you must pay up. I am OK with that

Which is why I felt the Brandon King injury was so costly a few months ago.......

Which is why I felt the Brandon King injury was so costly a few months ago.......

Do most teams totally under value core ST players. This guy was out there for the taking and he got to the Patriots. When Brandon King went down in the pre season I was bummed. Looks like we got a Christmas gift early

I totally agree. This was my previous comment in this post. 2 gunners are better than one. If you count Olszewski we have 3 good gunners

We pounced on him right away. This organization is always on its toes. Meanwhile, the Browns FO always punches out at 5pm, every weekday.
They will probably be punching out this Sunday at 5pm o_O

......and as the weather conditions start declining with cold and wet situations......the Ghosts and Gobblins of opposing Special Teams nightmares increase.

Seriously, the timing of this move is beautiful and not well understood by the other 31. Special Teams become crucial in December/January conditions far more than September -October.

special teams isnt as sexy as offense/defense so people tend to ignore it. But it is an important part of the game. Especially when you have a defense as good as this one. If you can back up teams and they have to drive the length of the field against this defense it makes it much easier.

special teams isnt as sexy as offense/defense so people tend to ignore it. But it is an important part of the game. Especially when you have a defense as good as this one. If you can back up teams and they have to drive the length of the field against this defense it makes it much easier.

anyone remember the 2010 Chargers?

Field position, field position, field position.

The Patriots can simply cut the oxygen to opposing teams with their D and STs.....

anyone remember the 2010 Chargers?

I remember there was an SB Nation video about them recently. Interesting stuff but I think it also shows how unimportant yardage rankings are.

Until you mentioned his name just now, I had totally forgotten about that dude...hmmm...

A jewel from Reiss's Quick hit thoughts, this morning, showing you just how far ahead of the curve BB actually was:

As for the Patriots, Belichick said once they saw Urban get released, they anticipated the Ravens would in turn release Bethel. And New England was quick to pounce on the opportunity, bringing Bethel in for a visit the next day to sign him.

Patriots' Jarrett Stidham enjoys learning behind scenes with Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye