PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats sign Jacoby Brissett

1 year deal for 8 million dollars. Brissett seems like a decent veteran 'bridge' QB until the rookie gets ready.

And with us dealing away Jones, I feel like a rookie QB is a definite in this upcoming draft.
Yep. Looks like us MHJ fans are going to be disappointed.

I am in favour of the rookie QB sitting behind him. He learns for a year while we outperform with Jacoby or we get a low draft pick next year lol

I am in favour of the rookie QB sitting behind him. He learns for a year while we outperform with Jacoby or we get a low draft pick next year lol
Best possible outcome is the rook sits, Brisket way outperforms his contract, makes the playoffs, and by end of season we have a QB controversy between a proven veteran on an expiring contract and an unproven rookie.

For some on this board forever tainted by association with the GOAT HC, despite years away.

Hopefully the rook can sit and learn how to be a pro without being thrown into the fire immediately. We already saw how that ruined the last rook.
Also associated with the one and only GOAT.

I wonder if there’s an option for a 2nd year? That would make more sense to me.

I suppose we can make a reasonable QB2 multi year deal happen next season depending how this season goes.

Jacoby Brissett is a QB who's 18-30, this is not Patrick Mahomes sitting behind Alex Smith or Jordan Love sitting behind Aaron Rodgers.

If you draft a quarterback at #3 and he can't beat out Jacoby Brissett then you've made a bad pick, i'm sorry but that's just facts, name a quarterback picked early who sat for a season behind one of the worst 5 starters in football and became anything?

It sounds good to say you're sitting someone to develop but the Chiefs were winning 11 games when doing it, this plan even if the guy isn't ready goes out the window when Jacoby Brissett blows and you're 1-5 and the fans are chirping about Mayo can't coach and firing Bill was a mistake and the whole crowd is chanting for Maye/Daniels.

Thats good money for us, about what im willing to pay for a bridge.

Jacoby Brissett is the best QB we’ve had on the Patriots roster since Tom Brady. That should tell you something….

Better option than Zappe though, that’s for sure.
Just imagine we traded him, just like we traded Jimmy G! I don't see any likes from Zappe. Hope he goes back on the PS where he belongs. One thing about Jacoby.. the guy has a rocket for an arm still.

Jacoby Brissett is a QB who's 18-30, this is not Patrick Mahomes sitting behind Alex Smith or Jordan Love sitting behind Aaron Rodgers.

If you draft a quarterback at #3 and he can't beat out Jacoby Brissett then you've made a bad pick, i'm sorry but that's just facts, name a quarterback picked early who sat for a season behind one of the worst 5 starters in football and became anything?

It sounds good to say you're sitting someone to develop but the Chiefs were winning 11 games when doing it, this plan even if the guy isn't ready goes out the window when Jacoby Brissett blows and you're 1-5 and the fans are chirping about Mayo can't coach and firing Bill was a mistake and the whole crowd is chanting for Maye/Daniels.
Your points are well-taken, and in fact are the reasons I preferred Jimmy G to Brissett, at least until he got suspended, if the plan is to keep the new QB benched for a year. The only QBs out there who truly met your criteria were Russell Wilson and Ryan Tannehill - guys who had led their teams to the playoffs before as starters. But Wilson had his own baggage, and I’m assuming Tannehill is a lot more expensive. If you’re Mayo, you have to hope Kraft has given him assurances that the long term plan trumps any short term gains and he won’t be fired for sticking with Brissett, if the intention is truly to have the new guy sit on the bench for a year.

Last edited:

Sorry but I disagree. There’s nothing wrong with a rookie QB sitting behind a veteran for a year while learning the ropes of a NFL QB.

Now if the rookie kills it in camp, give him a shot and keep Brissett as an experienced QB2 for a year. We got him for 8M which is nothing for a vet QB.

I don’t see how this is a negative in any way.

Last edited:
How much is guaranteed ?

I really dislike this move. It's too safe and signals two things: Mayo/Wolf are content with being mediocre at best this year and either Maye or Daniels will be taken at No. 3.

I really dislike this move. It's too safe and signals two things: Mayo/Wolf are content with being mediocre at best this year and either Maye or Daniels will be taken at No. 3.

Maye and Daniels are Darnold and Wilson

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back