PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Should Keep Garoppolo Through 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I know this had like thousand threads here already - but this article from Mike Dussault sums it up nicely:

in brief:
Yes, first round draft picks are always tempting and many Patriots fans are salivating thinking about what haul Garoppolo might bring .. But we all know how hit-or-miss the draft can be. While Belichick is almost always dead-on with first rounders, what are the chances he can get a player equal to the value of a starting quarterback? .. We still don’t know just how good Garoppolo really can be, but we’ve seen enough to know he can win games for the Patriots when his number is called. That value exceeds almost any single potential player they might draft .. He’s the ultimate insurance policy at the most critical position. That’s worth more than any unknown first round draft pick. Or even two.

Looking forward enjoying him once more this season on Sunday .. and then hopefully for years to come ..

The problem here is 2017-2018, when you have to let Garoppolo go for nothing. This decision doesn't need to be made until after this season. But if Brady shows no signs of slowing down, then you have practically no choice, because you know Brady will be back for 2017-2018.

The salary cap precludes keeping both of them at that point, because Garoppolo isn't signing for short money. Although an argument could be made that he could sign for less than available on the open market.

The problem here is 2017-2018, when you have to let Garoppolo go for nothing. This decision doesn't need to be made until after this season. But if Brady shows no signs of slowing down, then you have practically no choice, because you know Brady will be back for 2017-2018.

The salary cap precludes keeping both of them at that point, because Garoppolo isn't signing for short money. Although an argument could be made that he could sign for less than available on the open market.

After 2 more SB wins, maybe Brady will be done and we would need jimmy anyway

Depends on the offers. Set a high price, if someone meets it off he goes. Otherwise we keep him and revisit in March, 2018.

My high price? Two mid #1s, or equivalent. No one would do that? Fine, I'll keep him then.

After 2 more SB wins, maybe Brady will be done and we would need jimmy anyway

I mean, we don't need the draft choices. If Jimmy agrees to take less money after a no falloff Brady says he's coming back, I'd love it.

What I know can't happen is for Brady and Garoppolo to make $30m together in 2017-2018.

That can't happen.

One of them has to go. And I don't think that will be Brady.

to even have this discussion you need to stare the following in the face

you are discussing cutting tom brady from the new england patriots at the end of next season

imagine bob kraft and bill belichick doing that.

brady said he wants to play till he's 45 so you're either telling him to renegotiate for peanuts or waving him bye bye for his last 2-3 years if you resign jimmy.

i think that *cough, dude's earned his right to retire in a blue and silver #12 jersey on his own timeline, barring an extreme decline in skills that, lets be honest, do you really think you're going to see next year from him?

get the #1. make it a high one and pick up a #3 too. take another project at QB or some beast who'll be a key defensive player for the next five years.

I have started a thread about this as well.

Is there anything new that makes this discussion interesting? Are people going to change others minds?

We have no idea of the compensation. We have no idea who will be healthy by years end. We have no idea what BB will do, what contract discount JG would take, or how long Brady truly wants to play for.

It's just a circular argument that people have already staked out their side. Until something new develops.

TB says he's going to 45, but is that really likely? I'd love to see it, but he can eat all the avacados he wants, but it won't stop injuries from happening. One big hit could end his season or career, just like any other football player.

For Garoppolo, is it the money, is it starting, or a mix? Does being on a championship quality team matter to him? Maybe they can fade Tom's salary down, and bring JG up, albeit more quickly. It might create one season where you need to be very crafty (pun intended) with the cap, but maybe it can be done.

Tom's 39. The guy is THE GOAT, but can you really bank on him being this good or close when he's 42+? Brissett is fine, but I'd really like to see Garoppolo be the next guy in line. He's already pretty damn good, and can still get better. Mind you, not Brady good, but no one else is or will be.

TB says he's going to 45, but is that really likely? I'd love to see it, but he can eat all the avacados he wants, but it won't stop injuries from happening. One big hit could end his season or career, just like any other football player.

Now that you put it like that, I think you're right, doubting Tom Brady is definitely the smart play.

I mean, we don't need the draft choices. If Jimmy agrees to take less money after a no falloff Brady says he's coming back, I'd love it.

What I know can't happen is for Brady and Garoppolo to make $30m together in 2017-2018.

That can't happen.

One of them has to go. And I don't think that will be Brady.

2 years is a long time for a guy that age ..... the year too soon rather than a year too late applies here too

Now that you put it like that, I think you're right, doubting Tom Brady is definitely the smart play.

It's not Tom, I doubt. It's just that time gets to us all sooner or later. I know that sounds like BS. Time takes us all down, even TB if he sticks around long enough. I want him to go out on top. 2 more rings. This season and next season at least.

I know this had like thousand threads here already - but this article from Mike Dussault sums it up nicely:

in brief:
Yes, first round draft picks are always tempting and many Patriots fans are salivating thinking about what haul Garoppolo might bring .. But we all know how hit-or-miss the draft can be. While Belichick is almost always dead-on with first rounders, what are the chances he can get a player equal to the value of a starting quarterback? .. We still don’t know just how good Garoppolo really can be, but we’ve seen enough to know he can win games for the Patriots when his number is called. That value exceeds almost any single potential player they might draft .. He’s the ultimate insurance policy at the most critical position. That’s worth more than any unknown first round draft pick. Or even two.

Looking forward enjoying him once more this season on Sunday .. and then hopefully for years to come ..
Oh the hell with Mike Dussault, I've been saying the same thing all along. He probably got his "insightful opinion" from my posts here at Patsfans.

Well since this is about the fifteenth thread we've had on the same topic, I have my reponse almost memorized.

1. Brady's play has been great. He's been a top 3 QB over the last 5. Is there anyone here who can say they've seen any slippage? No, in fact there are some who think he's getting better and even smarter with age..

2. Brady's contract precludes keeping both after the 2017 season. Does it makes sense to let Jimmy go for nothing or at a decreased discounted, fire sale price, at the end of 2017. Or does it make better sense to trade him at the end of 2016 for a premium price?

3. Did Jacoby show you anything in his 6+ quarters to make you believe that with his poise and work ethic that he can't be a decent NFL QB after 2-3 more years of hard work in this offense. Some of these "keep JG" arguments might make a bit more sense if JB wasn't a rookie on the roster.

4. The Pats have a lot of cap space next year and a lot of important FA's to sign this off season. Regardless of how THAT shakes out, it will be likely that when the season starts, the Pats will likely have little cap room to manuever having Brady AND a Franchised back up.

5. The same people who are hyping Jimmy as the next great thing will be the same people who are going turn on him the moment he encounters some adversity. It's just the nature of today's fandom. Just look at Saint fans who want to dump Brees, and Packer fans who are starting to question Rodgers. Or EVEN those fans who are ready to move on from Brady after 5+ quarters from JG. If it can happen to them, just think about what it would be like here if JG had a tough stretch of games. :eek: If the GOAT can go through a four game stretch like Brady did in 2014, JG will certainly go through some tough times.

BOTTOM LINE: I haven't seen anything close to a reasonable argument for keep Jimmy past this season. The ONLY possible reason would be if Brady's play falls off a cliff THIS season, or he has a catastrophic injury during the year.

Well since this is about the fifteenth thread we've had on the same topic, I have my reponse almost memorized.

1. Brady's play has been great. He's been a top 3 QB over the last 5. Is there anyone here who can say they've seen any slippage? No, in fact there are some who think he's getting better and even smarter with age..

2. Brady's contract precludes keeping both after the 2017 season. Does it makes sense to let Jimmy go for nothing or at a decreased discounted, fire sale price, at the end of 2017. Or does it make better sense to trade him at the end of 2016 for a premium price?

3. Did Jacoby show you anything in his 6+ quarters to make you believe that with his poise and work ethic that he can't be a decent NFL QB after 2-3 more years of hard work in this offense. Some of these "keep JG" arguments might make a bit more sense if JB wasn't a rookie on the roster.

4. The Pats have a lot of cap space next year and a lot of important FA's to sign this off season. Regardless of how THAT shakes out, it will be likely that when the season starts, the Pats will likely have little cap room to manuever having Brady AND a Franchised back up.

5. The same people who are hyping Jimmy as the next great thing will be the same people who are going turn on him the moment he encounters some adversity. It's just the nature of today's fandom. Just look at Saint fans who want to dump Brees, and Packer fans who are starting to question Rodgers. Or EVEN those fans who are ready to move on from Brady after 5+ quarters from JG. If it can happen to them, just think about what it would be like here if JG had a tough stretch of games. :eek: If the GOAT can go through a four game stretch like Brady did in 2014, JG will certainly go through some tough times.

BOTTOM LINE: I haven't seen anything close to a reasonable argument for keep Jimmy past this season. The ONLY possible reason would be if Brady's play falls off a cliff THIS season, or he has a catastrophic injury during the year.
Two years is a long way off and there may be options for keeping Garoppolo that no one is entertaining. Ken, if you don't see rare potential in the kid that already has been demonstrated in tough circumstances, you aren't looking closely enough. His mechanics, ability to see the field, decision-making and accuracy are special. If you want to write off what he did in Arizona and vs. Miami as a fluke or luck, you're willingly turning a blind eye.

Two years is a long way off and there may be options for keeping Garoppolo that no one is entertaining.

What kind of possibilities do you envision, Tune? I'm assuming some type of lesser deal for Garoppolo where he leaves a lot of money on the table to stay here and hold the clipboard for another year or two (after his deal is up at the end of 2017)?

Even if that were to happen at say, 50% "off" the market rate (I think it's safe to assume that he'll be looking at 20m or so, based on the fact that Osweiler just snagged 18m and that would be a few years earlier), we'd still be tying up 32m dollars in cap space at the position of QB. 22m for Brady and the suggested 10m for JG.

You may have a valid point that Belichick would do that for a year in order to make a smooth transition. I would agree that he may make an exception due to the circumstances. After all, franchise QBs don't come around all that often. My concern for this would be that 1) Brady may not feel as though he's done by the end of 2018, and 2) Garoppolo may not want to leave that kind of money on the table.

Any way you look at it, this will be an important decision.

With all due respect Ken, I think the most compelling argument would simply be the possibility of passing the torch from one franchise QB to another. Certainly not meaning to be a smartass, as I'm quite sure you've covered many possibilities while pondering the idea.

Garoppolo has obviously progressed quite nicely and has a good grasp of our system. To me, that's likely the most important trait, even more than "just" talent. That said, he certainly has looked plenty talented and has shown quite a lot of poise in his first 2 starts. I don't think anyone better is coming through that door anytime soon in terms of future franchise QBs, but of course that's simply my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back