PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats select QB Kevin O'Connell with 94th overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another San Diegan and Aztec fan here.

You guys got a steal in O'Connell. He improved every year in reading defenses and passing accuracy - and this on a team with a crappy offensive line and no running backs worth a damn! He had a couple good receivers this year (Chaz Schilens - picked by the Raiders in the 7th, and Brett Swain - picked by the Packers in the 7th), but after that the drop off was precipitous.

O'Connell is a FREAK athlete - 6'5" - FAST, AGILE, Coordinated, TOUGH - a total competitor. And a team leader. He earned the respect of his teammates as a freshman, and was one of the best character guys we've seen around here in a long time. As a passer his accuracy was a problem when he was younger and more inexperienced, but his accuracy and decision making improved with experience and coaching. He is VERY smart, and has a great work ethic.

If he played for USC he would have been a first rounder.

It just kills me that he went to the dark side. The only teams I didn't want to draft him were the Raiders (unlikely anyway) and the Patriots. If given time to develop O'Connell really could be the successor to Brady like Young was to Montana. A very similar situation. Brady is the modern Joe Montana, and O'Connell is the Steve Young type.

I just wish that A.J. Smith had been smart enough to pick K.O. (The Chargers draft absolutely sucked this year...)

a 3 round wasted:mad:

Wasted huh? I bet you will be back here posting how much you love him if the kid turns out to be a stud QB. Or, if the kid is being traded for a high pick someday.

Last edited:
I like the pick.

There's nothing more important than a good quarterback.
Thus, applying the transitive property, there's only one thing more important than a good back-up quarterback, and that's the starter.
So finding a good back-up makes a lot of sense.

I see nothing special in 7th round career back-up Cassel or undrafted Gutierrez.

This guy has an opportunity to be a good NFL quarterback.

Give him two seasons behind Brady, and he could become a viable option, able to win some games. Give him half a season, and he could vault to the #2 spot.

He gets to develop within the Patriots system.
I imagine throwing to Moss and Welker his accuracy stats could improve.

Plus, he will be very cheap for the next four seasons, while the Pats see what they have.

Compare him to what the Patriots have received from their third round picks the last several years, after a couple seasons, and I think we might be well pleased.

Although Kevin is my cousin, and have spent my entire life shadowing his every step, I'm going to step back and try to advocate for him in the most un-biased fashion that I can.

Although the Pats have had an eye on Kevin, Kevin and I truly did not expect the Patriots to draft him until nearly the time of his drafting. After BB called him up to talk to him, Kevin told me that BB said, "Here at the Patriot's organization we are pretty good at picking out quarterbacks (which many of you surely can't refute =P); stick next to Tom and in a few years you'll be our starter." While I am hesitant to believe such good news, I likewise can entertain the idea of Kevin being draft bait. Next year's QB class is weak, and perhaps some team will be hurtin' for one, who knows?

I've had the pleasure of attending what games Kevin has played in during his time at SDSU I've been able to and I can truly and honestly attest to one thing: he gives his all on the field. After games when I talked to him, he lacked the energy to even give the family a welcoming hug. Having one of the worst offensive lines imaginable, Kevin had to make reads and scramble within 2.5-3 seconds almost every time! He led the team in rushing yards almost for that very reason. He is a true athelete and has an incredible work ethic (but such can be said about nearly any NFL athelete). He's a smart kid who knows the game well and can make good reads under pressure. I think time under the leadership of Tom and BB can turn him into an NFL caliber type quarterback.

Although that refers back to Kevin as a person and a player, I understand where much of the confusion comes about why the pick was made so early and how it could possibly pertain to the Patriots. Bottom line is Cassel has a year left and a reliable back-up will be needed in future years to come. Brady has been stellar in staying injury free thus far and I hope he continues to stay so. (God knows I don't want to see my cousin in the game so soon, he's got much to learn!) Although he has remained injury free so far, anything can happen in the NFL, so you can only hope for the best. I personally don't believe Tom will be sticking around the NFL for too many years to come, seeing that he has his head in more...Brazillian places. Overall, I believe the pick showed BB's unwaivering belief in having a strong Quarterback position that can be manipulated and oiled into one mean-lean throwin machine. I like the idea of putting stock in young, talented quarterbacks, regardless if it's my cousin or not.

All I can say is I'm happy for my cousin and the opportunities that have been presented to him. I know that if some of you don't like him now, he'll grow on you in the future (draft bait or otherwise). I'm glad to be a part of the Patriots family even if by an arguable not so immediate cousinly connection, and entertain all arguments made for or against Kevin's early selection...

Go Pats!

"Here at the Patriot's organization we are pretty good at picking out quarterbacks (which many of you surely can't refute =P); stick next to Tom and in a few years you'll be our starter."

The only way this pick isn't a waste is if he gets on the field by 2010. Otherwise he'll be cut as a cap casualty. 3rd round selections are expected to be starters by year 3 at the latest & if he's not taking time away from Brady he won't be earning any trade value. So if BB's right then I'm all for it. But do we really believe Brady will be all done 3 years from now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick