PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats ranked #1 CB duo

TheRainMaker

3rd runner up sexiest man alive 1998
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This shouldn’t be breaking news, but it is to some.

I love seeing positional unit rankings and Cynthia gets it.

I'd be curious historically since about 2010 or so those same rankings. The reason being I am in the camp that CB position is the 2d or 3d highest allotment considered for the Patriots in terms of how much they will spend per position (money, scouting, time, effort, etc). From Revis/Browner to Gilmore/Jackson/Jones that is the current position I think the Patriots knowingly expend significant blood and treasure TRY and "get" a or the top guy in the league.

Given the league-wide offensive changes protecting the QB and WRs, and unlike a DE/sack artist that is really easily "schemed out" as a threat, the CB has the biggest potential impact and elevation of the rest of the defense as a unit in today's pass happy league. If you have that (at least) one shut down CB, it, more than any other position except QB, allows superior ability to shape the opposing team's approach and change the way they play.

If I was ever a GM (no interest...seriously...only weathermen are held to a higher standard with a worse accuracy rate in the guessing game of telling the future) after QB that's where I'd concentrate in today's NFL as the second priority - the CB.

I'd be curious historically since about 2010 or so those same rankings. The reason being I am in the camp that CB position is the 2d or 3d highest allotment considered for the Patriots in terms of how much they will spend per position (money, scouting, time, effort, etc). From Revis/Browner to Gilmore/Jackson/Jones that is the current position I think the Patriots knowingly expend significant blood and treasure TRY and "get" a or the top guy in the league.

Given the league-wide offensive changes protecting the QB and WRs, and unlike a DE/sack artist that is really easily "schemed out" as a threat, the CB has the biggest potential impact and elevation of the rest of the defense as a unit in today's pass happy league. If you have that (at least) one shut down CB, it, more than any other position except QB, allows superior ability to shape the opposing team's approach and change the way they play.

If I was ever a GM (no interest...seriously...only weathermen are held to a higher standard with a worse accuracy rate in the guessing game of telling the future) after QB that's where I'd concentrate in today's NFL as the second priority - the CB.

I absolutely agree. I believe we have allocated major $$$ to the position since the 2008-2013 era when we didn't really have a #1 lock down guy between Hobbs, Bodden, Arrington, and Talib who got hurt at the wrong times..... ever since then it has been Revis and Gilmore....

The secondary is elite, the LB corps should be elite, hopefully the runningD holds up especially on the DLine.

This team really could go far based on 2 keys:
- the ball-control 2-TE offense generates a ton of first downs via runs and play action and quick throws, and the QB takes care of the ball.
- the defense is able to stop runs in the red zone and 3rd and short.

Not to get too far but the way the 2001/2003 teams won games, I think this could be in the cards at least from a style of play perspective.

This shouldn’t be breaking news, but it is to some.

I love seeing positional unit rankings and Cynthia gets it.

Yes those screaming to dump Gilmore haven't paid attention to how the Patriots get rings, or the importance of elite CBs around the league over the past decade.

Great secondary that lacks depth at outside CB.

It's very encouraging though that Jonathan Jones was ranked so high, the overall depth is incredible. If Devin can beat Father Time and Dugger/Philips can replace what 3-ring Chung provided, this defense will be lights out (again pending not getting exploited for not having a real NT).

It's very encouraging though that Jonathan Jones was ranked so high, the overall depth is incredible. If Devin can beat Father Time and Dugger/Philips can replace what 3-ring Chung provided, this defense will be lights out (again pending not getting exploited for not having a real NT).
Jones is terrific in the slot. Different look if Gilmore or Jackson goes down. Can’t have everything of course. I think BB will have his eyes open for another CB with size to replace what we hoped Joejuan would be.

Yes those screaming to dump Gilmore haven't paid attention to how the Patriots get rings, or the importance of elite CBs around the league over the past decade.

Who is screaming to dump Gilmore?

Not this week but go back maybe a month. Rampant debate that Gilmore isn't worth extending, or get rid of the guy because he's in his last year and grumpy. Um, no, elite CB1's don't grow on trees, make it work and keep this elite secondary together.

So no-one was actually "screaming to dump Gilmore"? Not extending Gilmore and "screaming to dump Gilmore" is completely different. Do you have posts from "those screaming to dump Gilmore"?

So no-one was actually "screaming to dump Gilmore"? Not extending Gilmore and "screaming to dump Gilmore" is completely different. Do you have posts from "those screaming to dump Gilmore"?

I don't think we disagree about Gilmore, and I don't care enough to go find and show some posts from other people so you can believe it or not. People will be coming out of the woodwork again as chats about Gilmore pop up on this forum.

I don't think we disagree about Gilmore, and I don't care enough to go find and show some posts from other people so you can believe it or not. People will be coming out of the woodwork again as chats about Gilmore pop up on this forum.

So "those" were never "screaming to dump Gilmore"? You made that up to sound tough? To look good on an Internet forum?

This team desperately needs Gilmore! He makes the other 10 guys on defense better.

Cj Jackson is best in zone and jones is best in the slot,

we need better second teamers. I thought mike Jackson could work as the fifth corner, but slowjuan and mills were safeties playing out of position.

So "those" were never "screaming to dump Gilmore"? You made that up to sound tough? To look good on an Internet forum?

Nah. Nope. I don't care enough to dig it up for you, go find it yourself if you're so hysterical and don't believe people wanted to not keep Gilmore.

Nah. Nope. I don't care enough to dig it up for you, go find it yourself if you're so hysterical and don't believe people wanted to not keep Gilmore.

I am hysterical? So funny.

I simply asked you to support your accusation. Being held accountable is hysteria to you? In the future you might want to be more honest.

I am hysterical? So funny.

I simply asked you to support your accusation. Being held accountable is hysteria to you? In the future you might want to be more honest.

Yea you seem to really care about this. Gilmore was heavily debated here over the summer. I'm not gonna dig it up for you. You can look up extend Gilmore and see.

Last edited:
Who is screaming to dump Gilmore?
OP should not confuse „media creating click-bait articles about trading Gilly“ with [assumed by readers of this post that he meant “posters“] were ‚screaming to dump‘.

the Click bait generated discussion, but at end of day was all a ‚storm in a teacup‘ and I don’t think most posters wanted to lose him unless something outrageous came. (Except maybe a few blockheads married to the getting a HoF WR concept)

From my comfy couch this is the biggest philosophical change I have seen for BB, at one time he seemed to have thought that he plug any athlete and "coach them up", guys like Tiquan Underwood come to mind. Even our beloved Troy was given a shot, he played well but not to the caliber that Gilmore etc have played.

I suspect that Gilmore will be appeased so that both parties do not lose "face" and our D will be kick butt, again.

I always loved JJ and I never understood why posters aren’t more into him. He isn’t D Sanders in his prime. But he IS a very, very valuable player.

On another note, Cynthia F… someone I would like to befriend.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back