PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats only need a top 10 pick to get a blue chip star in draft

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
7 super exciting QB's (Williams, Maye, Penix, Sanders, Nix, McCarthy and Daniels)
2 star receiver (Harrison, Nabers)
3 great OT's (Fashanu, Alt and Latham)
1 great TE (Bowers)

They only need a top 10 pick. So its fine if they win a few games...just do not falll out of top 10.

Issue with this is, we know for a fact all 7 of those QB's aren't going to end up being franchise QB's longterm. Realistically as little as 1 and as many as 3. So there's at least 4 busts straight up in that group. Bowers could be a great TE, but that position is a lot harder to develop and the gap between the top tier TE's and the glorified WR2/3 TE's is huge.

Realistically I'd say of those picks, 2 QB's, 1 of the WR,s and maybe 2 of the others will end up being big hits. Which means 5. And it's highly likely that if we win a few games, the most likely QB's are gone and so is Harrison who will likely be the first non QB gone.

Is there a possible Stroud pls ???

If they can’t land either of the top 2 qb’s, my next option is Harrison JR then either if the top two tackles.

I know they need tackle help but it’ll be hard to pass up on a talent like Harrison, address tackle in free agency or day two of the draft.

Issue with this is, we know for a fact all 7 of those QB's aren't going to end up being franchise QB's longterm. Realistically as little as 1 and as many as 3. So there's at least 4 busts straight up in that group. Bowers could be a great TE, but that position is a lot harder to develop and the gap between the top tier TE's and the glorified WR2/3 TE's is huge.

Realistically I'd say of those picks, 2 QB's, 1 of the WR,s and maybe 2 of the others will end up being big hits. Which means 5. And it's highly likely that if we win a few games, the most likely QB's are gone and so is Harrison who will likely be the first non QB gone.
Absolutely true that a lot will be busts, the thing is no one ever really knows. So it could be that the best one is taken at seven or eight or whatever. There's just so few sure things

We will have a chance at a VERY good player. The other thing about this is that 2nd round pick will be somewhere in the 30s. Great chance to land another starter.

You also have Judon and Gonzalez returning and lots of cap space. Land another hit in the mid rounds and sign a few people This team can add around 8 quality to great contributors if they play their cards right.

7 super exciting QB's (Williams, Maye, Penix, Sanders, Nix, McCarthy and Daniels)
1 great TE (Bowers)

They only need a top 10 pick. So its fine if they win a few games...just do not falll out of top 10.
Let me paraprhase

Pats only need a new gm to finally get a blue chip player

Our fanbase is turning into what we've been mocking since 2001...and not all that slowly either.
Elaborate? They are 2-7 for the first time since 2000. It’s not ok to speculate as fans regarding the future?

Elaborate? They are 2-7 for the first time since 2000. It’s not ok to speculate as fans regarding the future?
Guessing it’s the fervent desire to win the off-season.

I’d caveat that with: we need to win this coming off-season, big time. QB, WR1, just to start!

Last edited:
I would not take a QB unless we were absolutely SOLD on said QB. And even if we take a rookie QB, we will have to sign a veteran who can play...

Tough call....

I'm no forum Nazi, so go wild. But now we're talking about tanking, and going nuts for 50-50 draft prospects. Seems stressful for some folks, but again, you do you. I've been in wait-and-see mode on drafts since the 2010 Draft, which was derided as terrible at the time.

What other hope is there for this fan base at present?

As I've gotten older, I live by the mantra:

Enjoy what you can.
Fix what you can't.
And if you can't enjoy it or fix it, don't worry about it.

I still find enjoyment as a fan...even when we suck, I'll find something. And yep, speculation is definitely fun. Some folks get stressed...I did the stress thing enough in my life. I'm good now.

But it seems folks are upset that the emperor has no clothes and that we're becoming like the Jest and Clots fans we used to mock. I just find it interesting.

If the Pats end up being the first or second pick and neither Chicago or Arizona are higher than them with two first rounders each, I think the Pats need to consider trading back or even with another team who might give up three firsts. This team isn't one player away and this draft seems to be stacked compared to previous years. They might be better off trading down in the top ten and acquiring other first rounders to build the team.

1 great TE (Bowers)

Had a feeling our Fan base was going to be talking about the 24 Draft very early yess it has come to fruition. :)

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back