PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats off season thus far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rowe is a perfectly serviceable NFL corner. He had a rough start to the SB but played well most of the game actually. JJones is a guy with potential - not a pro bowl caliber player but he's also serviceable. Adding Jason McCourty is huge. The defensive backs are in pretty good shape, though I fully expect the Pats to add one or two in the draft.

Adding Shelton and Clayborn really beefs up the D-line. Getting Rivers back could be huge. Another year of growth by Brown, Wise, and Flowers will make the DL really solid.

LB is a problem. MFlowers is a speedy guy but he got roasted in the SB. I still see potential for improvement. Having a healthy Hightower would be enormous. Crossing fingers there. Van Noy is just fine. I think this is a huge area of need in the draft - must get younger and faster playmakers at LB. Fortunately, this draft is filled with them. Of course it probably means that BB doesn't take any. Heh.

The OL is solid. They were really good last year and even though they lost Solder, don't forget that they'll get pro-bowler Marcus Cannon back. That will be huge. Waddle at LT, Garcia getting a year to grow, probably adding someone in the draft. The middle guys are solid - Andrews, Thuney, and Mason, with Karras in reserve.

WR is a fantastic group. Adding Mitchell and Edelman will more than offset Amendola's loss, even though I love me some playoff Amendola. Cooks having had a year under his belt, getting a full season from Britt, and adding Patterson. Like it.

RB is in good shape too. Hill, Burkhead, White, Gillislee, and Develin. I think they could use another player to compete in camp, but they'd be fine going into the season with this group.

TE - iffy. If Gronk somehow doesn't return, it's a major problem obviously. But I think he does. Hollister is a guy who can continue to improve. Would love to restructure Allen and save some $$ but he's fine. Wouldn't be surprised to see them draft someone here.

QB. Well there's Brady, the best ever and reigning MVP still playing at the highest level in the league. Hoyer is a competent backup. The problem is the future. They will likely draft someone in this draft to groom. I'm betting it's a second round pick. We will see.

On the whole, the Pats are in excellent shape right now, even before the draft. They're an elite team that was one strip sack away from probably winning the Super Bowl last year, despite a horrific defensive performance. I fully expect 12-13 wins next year and another trip to the AFCCG. I'll take my chances.

I am not looking at Rowe as a slot guy, but an outside corner. I thought Rowe played well after giving up the first TD in the Superbowl.

And I felt J.Jones was getting comfortable in the slot before he got dinged. I love Jones' speed.

I consider the Pats safeties the best trio. Last I looked Eric Reid was unsigned though.....

But yeah, draft a CB....you can never have enough DB's these days...
Sign Reid and I'm OK with playing a 4 safety set more often. :)

You stated two positional issues. I agree.

TE
IMHO, we need to draft a TE, unless Belichick is sold on Hollister or Tye. Allan is here as long as there are no better options: I could see Allen extended. There is a major decision to be made here. Belichick may want to being Bennett back.

LB
We usually have 2 LB's on the field. The key at LB is NOT how well our #3 LB plays. With a better backup safety and some health at corner, the coverage abilities at LB are much less important. I believe that Flowers is adequate as the #3 LB. We have Roberts (improving a bit each year) as our run only LB. I would note that this position is often a bottom of the roster player.

Hightower, Van Noy, Flowers, Roberts

The major open question is the health of Hightower, Rivers and Langi.

So, sure, we are likely to draft a LB, but if Rivers and Langi are ready contribute, they are our new blood, and our LB's for the future. But yes, we certainly could use an upgrade of Roberts and Langi.

As a side note, it should help to have a improved DL. Flowers, Wise and Clayborne should provide pas rushing help, as should Butler.

Rowe is a perfectly serviceable NFL corner. He had a rough start to the SB but played well most of the game actually. JJones is a guy with potential - not a pro bowl caliber player but he's also serviceable. Adding Jason McCourty is huge. The defensive backs are in pretty good shape, though I fully expect the Pats to add one or two in the draft.

Adding Shelton and Clayborn really beefs up the D-line. Getting Rivers back could be huge. Another year of growth by Brown, Wise, and Flowers will make the DL really solid.

LB is a problem. MFlowers is a speedy guy but he got roasted in the SB. I still see potential for improvement. Having a healthy Hightower would be enormous. Crossing fingers there. Van Noy is just fine. I think this is a huge area of need in the draft - must get younger and faster playmakers at LB. Fortunately, this draft is filled with them. Of course it probably means that BB doesn't take any. Heh.

The OL is solid. They were really good last year and even though they lost Solder, don't forget that they'll get pro-bowler Marcus Cannon back. That will be huge. Waddle at LT, Garcia getting a year to grow, probably adding someone in the draft. The middle guys are solid - Andrews, Thuney, and Mason, with Karras in reserve.

WR is a fantastic group. Adding Mitchell and Edelman will more than offset Amendola's loss, even though I love me some playoff Amendola. Cooks having had a year under his belt, getting a full season from Britt, and adding Patterson. Like it.

RB is in good shape too. Hill, Burkhead, White, Gillislee, and Develin. I think they could use another player to compete in camp, but they'd be fine going into the season with this group.

TE - iffy. If Gronk somehow doesn't return, it's a major problem obviously. But I think he does. Hollister is a guy who can continue to improve. Would love to restructure Allen and save some $$ but he's fine. Wouldn't be surprised to see them draft someone here.

QB. Well there's Brady, the best ever and reigning MVP still playing at the highest level in the league. Hoyer is a competent backup. The problem is the future. They will likely draft someone in this draft to groom. I'm betting it's a second round pick. We will see.

On the whole, the Pats are in excellent shape right now, even before the draft. They're an elite team that was one strip sack away from probably winning the Super Bowl last year, despite a horrific defensive performance. I fully expect 12-13 wins next year and another trip to the AFCCG. I'll take my chances.

Last edited:
I am not looking at Rowe as a slot guy, but an outside corner. I thought Rowe played well after giving up the first TD in the Superbowl.

And I felt J.Jones was getting comfortable in the slot before he got dinged. I love Jones' speed.

I consider the Pats safeties the best trio. Last I looked Eric Reid was unsigned though.....

But yeah, draft a CB....you can never have enough DB's these days...

He played somewhat better because Gillmore took over and erased Jeffrey. Maybe Rowe hasn't shaken off his injury much like Jeremy Hill and will be better next year. But I agree you can never have enough good DB's in this league.

I'm surprised Reid hasn't been signed as he had a very good year. I guess teams won't take his word that he won't protest.

He played somewhat better because Gillmore took over and erased Jeffrey. Maybe Rowe hasn't shaken off his injury much like Jeremy Hill and will be better next year. But I agree you can never have enough good DB's in this league.

I'm surprised Reid hasn't been signed as he had a very good year. I guess teams won't take his word that he won't protest.

I don't even care about players kneeling.....and Reid should be signed ASAP.

I don't even care about players kneeling.....and Reid should be signed ASAP.

I'm surprised the Pats haven't been reported to be interested. He's the safety the Pats have been looking for to play inside the box since they've been experimenting with Tank Williams.

And then they can get rid of Jordan Richards for crying out loud!

So am I. Is there something wrong with that?
Actually there is some really fascinating alternate history that talks about how things would have been better if the Kaiser WW1 had won that war or got a much better Deal.

1. No Hitler.
2. No WW2 likely
3. No Cold War likely, Germany and USSR would have been like canceling each other out
4. Debatable whether we would have made Nuclear Weapons without WW2.. even if we did for Nuke POwer, we would not have made nearly as many Nukes.
5. Ultimately Europe might have looked a lot similar to what it does today anyway (EU, politically bound Europe, with England kind of independent, and dominated by Germany at least economically, and the hatred of WW1 would be so far gone that they may all be civilized and happy much like they are today.
6. Even the Middle East and Palestinian situation would at least be very different if there had been no Holocaust.

I will try to find the guy who wrote the article. It actually kind of blew me away.

Not so fast. We will see how this offensive line performs. I worry about cannon staying healthy.

The pass defense was brutal to start and then it got better only to show its true colors but it was without their second best corner on the sidelines. I have to see more of Rowe before i think he's capable of being our second corner. Belichick has taken a gamble letting go of some key guys. It's never easy going back after you lose the super bowl but we will see.

I'm surprised the Pats haven't been reported to be interested. He's the safety the Pats have been looking for to play inside the box since they've been experimenting with Tank Williams.

Probably don’t have the cap room.

Reid has already stated that teams are crazy if they think he’s going to be a cheap, short term solution or something to that effect. I’m guessing that he’s looking for more money than the team is willing to spend, or else they’d have been in the mix for a guy like Mathieu at 7m a year.

Even if you pay him 4-5m dollars, it may be hard to justify as the fourth safety. If his price was reasonable, I wouldn’t mind the signing in the least.

This season is going great so far, @mosslost :

(1) new trophy
(2) 32nd pick

Can’t get much better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe