PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Interested In Mike Wallace (per Miami Herald's Armando Salguero)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ive_Killed_People

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Armando Salguero ‏tweeted this:

"Take this for what it is worth (I see it as solid). Agent just told me he hears Patriots have some interest in Mike Wallace."

Then:

"Understand that interest doesn't mean Patriots will SIGN Mike Wallace. But we've reached a point we're reporting interest so there it is."

I've been pretty adamant that a deal between Wallace and the Patriots isn't going to happen on his $12M a year terms.

If he's okay with quite a bit less than that, all bets are off. He wouldn't be my first choice, but Belichick isn't going to sign a guy he's not reasonably comfortable with.

As KG once said: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My view is to not get excited about any of the high end guys we're 99% not getting them. Bill will cheap out sign 3 guys for the price of every top free agent we could get and hope they stick. As Ocho, Haynesworth (i know trades but same concept), Fanane, Gregory, Scott have shown usually they're worthless.

I'm expecting Freeney and Reed as our "huge signings" :rolleyes:

I expect it would be contact to establish what Wallace's contract demands are.

My view is to not get excited about any of the high end guys we're 99% not getting them. Bill will cheap out sign 3 guys for the price of every top free agent we could get and hope they stick. As Ocho, Haynesworth (i know trades but same concept), Fanane, Gregory, Scott have shown usually they're worthless.

Jesus you hate value don't you. If the Pats went after all the players that are top tier like you want they would be in Cap hell like the jets

Hmmmm, ya a Miami reporter breaking this. Ya, Wallace's agent is likely leaking this to drive the price up, in the Phins Vikings bidding war...

But who really knows...

Freeney and Reed would be huge signing this team needs defense not offense, hell i would be happy if they got one of them

Hmmmm, ya a Miami reporter breaking this. Ya, Wallace's agent is likely leaking this to drive the price up, in the Phins Vikings bidding war...

But who really knows...

Is this the same guy who was on NFL Network during Payton Manning watch saying that he was convinced that Manning was going to be a Dolphin? His main point was Manning owns a house in Florida.

Is this the same guy who was on NFL Network during Payton Manning watch saying that he was convinced that Manning was going to be a Dolphin? His main point was Manning owns a house in Florida.

Off the top of my head and by memory I think that was Jeff Darlington. Tho Armando Salguero might be correct. Either way Armando Salguero is a very connected Phins beat reporter if I am not mistaken. Which leads me to believe Wallace's agent is his source.

And if you're at the end of the line in negotiations between, say the Dolphins, and oh, the Vikings. How do you get Miami to up there price?

Link to the Miami Vikings fight for Wallace..

NFL.com's Jeff Darlington reported Wednesday that "Plan A" for the Dolphins includes a wideout group of Hartline, Davone Bess and Mike Wallace. The Dolphins know Wallace will cost a lot (probably more than what Bowe received from the Kansas City Chiefs) and they sound ready to spend.

According to Darlington, the Dolphins' offseason plan "all starts" with bringing Wallace aboard (seriously, check out the piece). It sounds like they are willing to do it at nearly any cost. The Dolphins also expect the Minnesota Vikings to join the bidding for Wallace (which might make Percy Harvin available in a trade. Spicy). But the Dolphins don't sound interested in wide receiver Greg Jennings, Darlington writes.

Miami Dolphins want Mike Wallace over Greg Jennings - NFL.com

I don't understand all the Wallace love. Are we SO enamored by his speed that we can ignore the fact that he's a poor route runner who is more concerned about his own stats and paycheck than wins. Great. Lets go and pay $11MM/yr or more for a WR who didn't have the production of a guy who many want to get rid of, did for $4MM

HELLO! there is a reason the Steelers are letting him go. Wallace thrived in a Steeler offense that relied on Rothlessberger extending plays. That's not happening here. Wallace has become redundant because under Todd Haley, their offense needs more precise, disciplined route runners.

There are certainly offenses where Wallace would thrive. Its just that the one here in NE isn't one of them. On paper Wallace looks inviting, but games aren't won on paper. So if the money issues don't scare you off, the on field issues should. Hey. I'd like to see more speed on the outside, just like everyone else, but Mike Wallace isn't the guy who should be providing it.....ESPECIALLY at the cost.

I don't understand all the Wallace love. Are we SO enamored by his speed that we can ignore the fact that he's a poor route runner who is more concerned about his own stats and paycheck than wins. Great. Lets go and pay $11MM/yr or more for a WR who didn't have the production of a guy who many want to get rid of, did for $4MM

HELLO! there is a reason the Steelers are letting him go. Wallace thrived in a Steeler offense that relied on Rothlessberger extending plays. That's not happening here. Wallace has become redundant because under Todd Haley, their offense needs more precise, disciplined route runners.

There are certainly offenses where Wallace would thrive. Its just that the one here in NE isn't one of them. On paper Wallace looks inviting, but games aren't won on paper. So if the money issues don't scare you off, the on field issues should. Hey. I'd like to see more speed on the outside, just like everyone else, but Mike Wallace isn't the guy who should be providing it.....ESPECIALLY at the cost.

He's a significant upgrade over welker

How's so? Based on % of completions, how much more will he haul in then Welker? Even saying its all not based on completions, how much less will he haul in then Welker?

I'm sure the Pats have 'some' interest. But they have interest in any quality football player. The key is the pricetag and I think Wallace has too high of a sticker price for our FO to buy in.

How can he possibly be a "significant upgrade over Welker"? Welker catches 110-120 passes a year for 1200-1500 yards. Wallace has never had more than 72 receptions or 1257 yards in a single season.

What Wallace *does* bring is a much larger yards per catch average, so he's definitely more explosive. And the Pats could definitely use some of that, for sure.

But at the end of the day, Wallace is not a "significant upgrade" over Welker. He brings a very different skill set that may or may not be more beneficial to New England.

Wallace would be an excellent addition but it sounds like Mike is out there for the $$.

When I first heard of the Wallace "interest", I was very skeptical. How unlike the Belichick Patriots it would be, I thought. But then, I remembered after last year's draft(Pats never will draft a pass rusher in the 1st and they don't trade up;two cliches killed with one pick) that I was going to stop trying to put Bill Belichick in a box because he will not stay in one.

You only pay big-money for a free agent when you believe that player has a rare skill that you will not find anywhere else. Receivers who can run that fast and still have the body control and hands to actually catch a ball don't grow on trees. Remember when the Pats last played the Steelers in 2011. The Pats defensive game plan couldn't have given any more respect for a player than the Pats D did that game for Wallace.

Personally, I think the Pats are interested and that interest has nothing to do with Wes Welker. If Brandon Lloyd's option is not paid, 2 receivers are needed. Think of it this way: Would you rather resign Vollmer for $7 million a year and pay Lloyd $5 million or pay Mike Wallace $12 million with the money saved from letting the other 2 go. Under which of those scenarios would the pats offense be better?

The Dolphins have tons to spend and might scuttle the plans. But if the Pats resign Welker and sign Wallace and a couple of good free agent defensive backs, I'd be very happy heading into the draft with the team we already have.

Wallace is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. He can take a 6 yard slant 60 yards in an instant. I also remember BB giving Wallace tons of credit when the Patriots played the steelers two years ago.

I would not be surprised at all if the Patriots have Wallace targeted as one of the guys they must have for Tommy.

You can't criticize w/out giving BB credit where it's due...Mike Vrabel, Brian Cox, Rodney Harrison, and Antowain Smith all say hello. The guy also finds value where others don't...Wes Welker says hey too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe