PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats HOFers; today and future

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't vote Bledsoe if I had a vote. He's always been a good QB, but never made the short list of great QBs during his time. Even when his numbers were way up in the mid-late 90's, he was always a step below Favre, Aikman, Elway, etc.

PatsWorldChamps said:
reasonable shot? AV, rodney, dillon, and seymour have more than a reasonable shot

Kickers in the HOF are few and far between. The rest are good players but not the greatest. Now if we're talking Patriots hall of fame sure, put them all in.

I will be deeply disappointed if Rodney doesn't make it eventually. He's one of the best players I've ever had the honor to watch, and he's been doing it for so long.

huskeralk said:
Kickers in the HOF are few and far between. The rest are good players but not the greatest. Now if we're talking Patriots hall of fame sure, put them all in.

only one kicker is in

Oh yeah!! Adam Vinitieri will go. Those big game kicks he's made.

Especially in 2001 in the snow. Than the SB.

I know there are no other kickers in the Hall now but how many have done what adam has.

PatsWorldChamps said:
only one kicker is in

Would that be Ray Guy?

Jan Stanerud is in the Hall of Fame. No punters are in the Hall of Fame, not even Ray Guy. We'll see what happens when Morten Andersen and Gary Anderson become eligible though. However, there are too many position players waiting to go in. It is hard for a special teamer to get in - look at Steve Tasker, the best STer of all time.

Last edited:
PatsWorldChamps said:
only one kicker is in

Exactly, I was just looking that up. Vinatieri has virtually no chance at making it. I also looked up safeties. In the history of the NFL, only 9 safeties have made it into the hall of fame. I don't think some people realize just how hard it is to get into the hall of fame.

I think AV is a lock to the hall of fame.. as others have said, those kicks he's made, all the game winners.. he will most likely get in..

my others would be:

Brady - he would get in in 5 years if he retired today..
Belichick
Law - he has Sanders type numbers, and i think he'll be in there as well..
Seymour should since everyone considers him best in the game..

and of course

Duane Starks ;)

Last edited:
Chris said:
I think AV is a lock to the hall of fame.. as others have said, those kicks he's made, all the game winners.. he will most likely get in..

my others would be:

Brady - he would get in in 5 years if he retired today..
Belichick
Law - he has Sanders type numbers, and i think he'll be in there as well..
Seymour should since everyone considers him best in the game..

and of course

Duane Starks ;)

Like has already been stated, there has only been one kicker ever inducted and he played for 19 years and scored 1,699 points. Vinatieri had some clutch kicks but that's not what gets a player into the hall. It's all about career achievement and as it stands, Vinatieri pales in comparison and unless he plans on playing another 9 years, he's going to fall way short.

With Law, he may compare to Sanders' stats, but Sanders isn't anywhere to be found in Canton either and it's up in the air whether he will go or not.

Seymour may be considered one of the best in the game right now but that doesn't automatically make him one of the best ever. There are plenty of players that look like they will be hall of famers then completely fall off of the face of the earth. Way too early to make a call on him.

Frist off Brady and Coach Bill are in. Look at what they've doen in there careers. Another lock would be AV. He made the greatest kick in the history of the NFL. Bruschi,yes but not in his first year. Sey is in. So would be Big Wille and Troy Brown. Some who needs to be in the HOF would be Robert Kraft, I mena if they can put Al Davis.

A list of all time scoring leaders NOT in the hall of fame who I might add are all kickers.

1. Gary Anderson - 2,348
2. Morten Anderson - 2,257
3. George Blanda - 2,002
4. Norm Johnson - 1,736
5. Nick Lowrey - 1,711

All ahead of Stenerud who happens to be the only kicker in the Hall. Vinatieri is not going.

Andre Tippett should be #4...

AndyJohnson said:
I dont think your 3/0 is correct.
The only primarily Patriot in the Hall is Hannah.
Haynes was a part-time Patriot, who IMO left ugly.
Im not even sure who your #3 is?

Nick Buoniconti is #3 even though he played only the last 1/3 or his career at Miami, he captained the "no name defense" and the "Killer Bees" that produced the NFL's only undefeated, untied season.

Aa guy who everyone overlooks, who SHOULD be there is Andre Tippett. The stumblebum Lawrence Taylor got all the acclaim playing in New York's media circu, but Andre's records including 100 sacks compares nicely; And he was a team leader and model citizen, compared to the crumb bum LT.

BB. Three Lombardi's. Done. Was almost certainly in after Carolina and is a lock now.

TB should be go in his first year of eligibility, unless his career is shortened by injury in the next couple of seasons, in which case they'd probably just make him wait a couple of years. But three rings and two SB MVP's put him in the company of legends.

Vinatieri. If not him, then what other kicker could ever join Stenerud?

Dillon. Hard to see if the comparisons are Sweetness, Juice, Harris, Riggins, etc., etc.

Others? In the hunt. Another ring or two wouldn't hurt.

Law is in the right neighborhood statwise, 36 picks for 583 yards, 6 TD's. Recent HOF'ers from the secondary: Ronnie Lott, 63 INT's, 730 yards, 5 TD's. Mike Haynes, 46 INT's, 688 yards, 2 TD's. Mel Renfro, 52 INT's.

Seymour. Five seasons is too early too tell, but the HOF likes big stats over multiple years for DT/DE admission so, like anyone at his position, he has his work cut out for him.

PatsFanSince74 said:
Vinatieri. If not him, then what other kicker could ever join Stenerud?

I already listed about 5 in a previous post. Vinatieri isn't even in the top 20 all time scoring yet.

huskeralk said:
A list of all time scoring leaders NOT in the hall of fame who I might add are all kickers.

1. Gary Anderson - 2,348
2. Morten Anderson - 2,257
3. George Blanda - 2,002
4. Norm Johnson - 1,736
5. Nick Lowrey - 1,711

All ahead of Stenerud who happens to be the only kicker in the Hall. Vinatieri is not going.

1. Blanda's in the hall of fame.

2. I think Vinatieri will make it. Adam's biggest kicks are more legendary than Stenerud's, and his points total will get up there high enough.

Fanfrom1960 said:
1. Blanda's in the hall of fame.

2. I think Vinatieri will make it. Adam's biggest kicks are more legendary than Stenerud's, and his points total will get up there high enough.

Blanda is in as a kicker? There is only one kicker listed in the HOF and that is Stenerud.

huskeralk said:
Blanda is in as a kicker? There is only one kicker listed in the HOF and that is Stenerud.

Blanda also played quarterback. He's listed primarily as a QB, but it was really his place kicking that extended his career long enough for him to pull some games out as a backup QB when Lamonica or Stabler got hurt. Overall, his extremely long career, ending as a backup QB and placekicker at age 47 is probably what got him in.

Modern Era: Quarterbacks (21)

George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.jsp

3 key factors in HOF, IMO....

1> career stats (longevity)
2> Pro Bowls (reflects upon a player compared to their era: dominance)
3> Rings (voters have always given bonus love to rings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes