PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get OT Ryan O'Callaghan at #136

Status
Not open for further replies.
chowder said:
i absolutely love this pick. he's one of the guys i really wanted. I'm a Cal alumni and live on the west coast so I saw him play alot. O'Callaghan was one of the key players on the O-Line, which arguably was one of the top lines in the nation. Definitely great value here as i think he can be a solid starter at some point.

He's had chronic shoulder problems though. Maybe he'll be the strong OL they need. But they have so many OTs. 5(Light, Mankins, Gorin, Kaczur, Britt). Supposedly he can play guard.

Anyway, Mark Anderson has been the "highest player available" since probably late 2nd round! Poor bastard. Wonder what he did that sours people on him.

RI Pats Fan said:
That and he looks like Tom Brady with Down's Syndrome

ocallaghan_ryan.jpg

Slightly insensitive perhaps, but....nice call!

Ranked #70 overall by the Huddle Report and #77 by the Sporting News. In the 120's by Pro Football Weekly.

None of the scouts seem to think he can play tackle at the next level but a real mauler as a guard (though he's never played the position in college). The shoulder injuries could be a concern but haven't cost him any playing time yet so he's a tough cookie.

I know we re-signed Neal at RG and Kazur is the frontrunner at RT and we just took a PK ahead of him, but I like this pick because I love Tom Brady.

chowder said:
i absolutely love this pick. he's one of the guys i really wanted. I'm a Cal alumnus and live on the west coast so I saw him play alot. O'Callaghan was one of the key players on the O-Line, which arguably was one of the top lines in the nation. Definitely great value here as i think he can be a solid starter at some point.

I agree, I live on the West Coast near San Francisco, and this guy is massive, and talented, and a mauler. Pretty much a steal due to some history with injuries.

MoLewisrocks said:
I know we re-signed Neal at RG and Kazur is the frontrunner at RT and we just took a PK ahead of him, but I like this pick because I love Tom Brady.

Perhaps Brady demanded these intangibles in his contract...just kidding but imagine if it were true. brady tells Bill "I take less money for an Offense at the top draft".

Bill...using his economics degree sees ROV all over Brady's contract if he goes along with the demand.

Probably did not happen...but funny if it did.

This is a great pickup.....

pats1 said:
There's never going to be a defensive player!

great pickup here.......this guy has HUGE potential and I see him as a starter this year............Did anyone catch the footage they showed on NFL network during the draft when they were showing some of the top DE's working against the O linemen in the draft......and here is O'Callaghan just DOMINATING these guys pushing them around and throwing them to the ground. This guy looked AWESOME......I have heard good things about him......GREAT pickup and should be an asset for the O line....good job BB!!!

here's a quote from About.com.....

pats1 said:
There's never going to be a defensive player!

or something like that...................

Overview:
He is a huge force that will translate well into the NFL. His great size matched with his even better technique makes him one of the best tackles in the draft. Look for him to be a second-round draft pick and starting right away in the NFL. The team that lands this massive offensive tackle will be very happy with what they get.

If we're taking him to fill in and give people a break, i.e., general depth, that makes sense. But someone can correct me if wrong, but don't we have multiple years left on Light, Mankins, Neal, and Kaczur?

Seems we need to start getting ready to lose Koppen to a big contract somewhere else, so I expected a center.

onegameatatime said:
If we're taking him to fill in and give people a break, i.e., general depth, that makes sense. But someone can correct me if wrong, but don't we have multiple years left on Light, Mankins, Neal, and Kaczur?

Seems we need to start getting ready to lose Koppen to a big contract somewhere else, so I expected a center.

BC's Pat Ross would be a good option around round 8 or so.

stcjones said:
great pickup here.......this guy has HUGE potential and I see him as a starter this year............Did anyone catch the footage they showed on NFL network during the draft when they were showing some of the top DE's working against the O linemen in the draft......and here is O'Callaghan just DOMINATING these guys pushing them around and throwing them to the ground. This guy looked AWESOME......I have heard good things about him......GREAT pickup and should be an asset for the O line....good job BB!!!

When you say starter this year do you mean at Guard ... over Neal?
If so I hope you are right.
I was really hoping they would upgrade Neal's postion. This could be the
move but I am concerned about his past injuries.

With all the attention to the offense, the PATs have a real potential of having
the best Offense in the League this year. If it all comes together they will! :)

May back-up this year but will probably get on the field in field goal,short ydg and goal-line situations.

NEM said:
EXACTLY.....This team did their homework.... a perfect fit for this offensie which will be like none ever seen before in Pats uniforms....thank GOD, FINALLY...... Now I can retire and give back the OC job.

I give it 2 wks. No, wait, 1. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference