PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Eye Welker (Reiss)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI Miami fans seem pretty stoked at the idea of getting a second for Welker.

They should, they get a pick which they need, and the Pats get a receiver they need. They all seem to really like Welker though, and think he'll be a good fit for the Pats.

Not every deal is going to be where the Pats get a steal. You have to give value to get value sometimes.

They should, they get a pick which they need, and the Pats get a receiver they need. They all seem to really like Welker though, and think he'll be a good fit for the Pats.

Not every deal is going to be where the Pats get a steal. You have to give value to get value sometimes.

Maybe but it could also mean that we think Welker is better than he is.

It matters not what we think and even less what a bunch of people who willing dress in aqua and orange think. I'll take Bill and Scott's word for it if they think he's worth it.

I think Welker must have performed a lot better as a returner vs. the Pats than the rest of the league. I recall him looking pretty good, but I don't think his stats are all that tremendous. Looking at the stats that is...he ranked 28th in KO returns and 15th in PR. Plus, having 67 catches for a team that really wasn't that good, and had injuries at WR isn't a huge accomplishment. He barely averaged more than 10 ypc for the season.

I'm not saying the guy is lousy, but he sure isn't worth a 2nd rounder PLUS the contract he'll expect.

JMO

Allow me to expound on the "poison pill" thing. Others have posted that the NFL was unable to specifically eliminate its use. HOWEVER, I have read that the league was quite clearly sending the message to teams NOT to use it. I'm not sure exactly what they could do, but basically, the message was that if teams continued to throw in poison pills, the NFL brass would be very, very unhappy with them.

I think it's impossible for the NFL brass to hate the Patriots any more than they currently do.

Sure, that's always the danger in any trade. But I think the team is trying to be safe and practical here. They need receivers. I can't think of a free agent WR that is perfect, they all have question marks. And I'm just not really comfortable with the team getting all their new WRs from the draft.

Plus, it's a deep draft for WRs. They'll still take one, but there won't be pressure to perform right away, if we have some guys already in the fold. I just really want to avoid the desperation on the wide receiver front that last year was, it puts quite a lot on Brady to handle. Plus, two first round picks, a second isn't so bad to give up in that context.

All that taken together, and I think they should get this done.

Schefter on NFL.com is saying the offer to Welker is 7 years at $38.5.

Link http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

So, does that mean an offer was actually sent out, or just speculation still? I mean, I am excited, but just excited that it was a rumor. I didnt think the pats actually sent an offer over.
7 yrs. is a serious ass contract. If the numbers are correct, then that means the pats FO must really believe his best yrs. are definately ahead of him.
So, does that mean we have 7 days to wait this one out, or can the fins just say "screw it, give us a 2 and take the guy."??

poison pill...........

The Patriots offered him that? :eek:

It sounds like alot, but I am sure his cap figure isnt THAT high. It's probably backloaded, and is structured like so just to force the fins hands (if its true).

So, does that mean an offer was actually sent out, or just speculation still? I mean, I am excited, but just excited that it was a rumor. I didnt think the pats actually sent an offer over.
7 yrs. is a serious ass contract. If the numbers are correct, then that means the pats FO must really believe his best yrs. are definately ahead of him.
So, does that mean we have 7 days to wait this one out, or can the fins just say "screw it, give us a 2 and take the guy."??

Offer was made. After Wes signs,then the fins have 7 days to match it or take the 2 nd rd pick and they could do it tommorow or bring it down to the wire.

We need to see the parameters of the contract. My guess is that they're using a poison pill, and the contract is in reality a 5 year deal with the final two years for show. I doubt the Dolphins are going to commit that type of money to Welker...

Offer was made. After Wes signs,then the fins have 7 days to match it or take the 2 nd rd pick and they could do it tommorow or bring it down to the wire.

Thanx for the response. I wasnt sure whether or not Schefter is a reliable source.

We need to see the parameters of the contract. My guess is that they're using a poison pill, and the contract is in reality a 5 year deal with the final two years for show. I doubt the Dolphins are going to commit that type of money to Welker...
Phony years on the end of the deal would not constitute a "poison pill," because if the Fins were to match the offer, they could cut him loose or re-structure before the phony years kick in just as easily as the Pats could.

A "poison pill" is when you put in some BS that could only affect the original team. Like something about where the player plays, or how he is paid relative to the other players at his position on the team, etc.

Phony years on the end of the deal would not constitute a "poison pill," because if the Fins were to match the offer, they could cut him loose or re-structure before the phony years kick in just as easily as the Pats could.

A "poison pill" is when you put in some BS that could only affect the original team. Like something about where the player plays, or how he is paid relative to the other players at his position on the team, etc.

You are correct, so the Patriots could of written that if Welker play 5 games a year in Miami then the whole contract is to be paid in full 100%, that would be a poison pill, right?

You are correct, so the Patriots could of written that if Welker play 5 games a year in Miami then the whole contract is to be paid in full 100%, that would be a poison pill, right?

yep. That's also why poison pill contracts tend to have more years than normal, there's that extra year with all that phony $$$$$$$$ that would have to be guaranteed by the Dolphins.

I'm with the folks here who this move as a means to secure a near perfect replacement for Troy Brown. Welker will never likely have even one 100 catch season like Brown did, but he appears to possess the right combo of skills and intangibles to fill Troy's role on the team eventually-

Responsible, sensible, lead by example type
Hard worker
Dedicated teammate
Good at finding soft spots in zone, quickly
Better than every other catch is a first down
Versatile
Sure handed return man
Doing anything necessary to win mentality

Downside - most all of Brown's numbers (averages) are a little better

I'd feel better if the trade required a third instead but most pundits so far feel the Pats have made a pretty good deal. The team had to prepare for Brown's departure and inject some youth into Brown's position on the field. Likely a move we'll appreciate farther down the road.

Without knowing the details of the contract, how could you call it a poison pill?

The amount of $$$ and extra years points to an extreme likelihood of a poison pill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents