PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats add QB Matt Corral

Can you get Myles Bryant?
It honestly seems like a kiss of death for a player when I get their memorabilia.
I had Chad Jackson gear a ton, a Laurence Maroney, the cards are fine cause I have almost the whole team auto rookie cards.
Maybe I’ll hold off on that Christian Gonzalez auto helmet.

I was only speculating on a POSSIBLE reason why the Panthers let him go. My first thought was maybe they thought the foot issues would be chronic since he had issues in college.

But I didn't know that Andy Dalton was brought in to be their #2 and the wise old vet to mentor Bryce Young. Now it just looks like they took a shot at no one grabbing him on the waiver wire since they cut him on Wed., AFTER a lot of teams filled needs. Meanwhile the Pats might have upgraded with a guy BOB knows well
I was hopeful it was the whole coaching change. His numbers in the final game against the Lions were pretty awful but the poor kid is barely more experienced than a rookie. I do agree with others that it was a shocking move that they couldn't get anything for him and risked someone else snagging him. Not sure what the deal is but the guy has a live arm and fast legs. Would like to see him flourish here and continue to push Mac. If he does well, he’ll either claim the starting role or net us a solid return when we trade him. Like I said in another post though, he could be off the roster in a few days lol.

I imagine if the Pats EVER tried to move Corral to the PS the Panthers would claim hin just for spite.

Thats what i was thinking itd be pretty risky to try moving him down, but its hard to imagine him being ready for qb2 duties with us right now. We will eventually need zappe or whoever on the gameday roster if mac were to go down. So guessing we’ll carry 3..

Thats what i was thinking itd be pretty risky to try moving him down, but it’s hard to imagine him being ready for qb2 duties with us right now. We will eventually need zappe or whoever on the gameday roster if mac were to go down. So guessing we’ll carry 3..
Zappe will be PS and elevated for first three games. Corral will be on the 53 but inactive or emergency QB first three games. Then we’ll see…

Thats what i was thinking itd be pretty risky to try moving him down, but its hard to imagine him being ready for qb2 duties with us right now. We will eventually need zappe or whoever on the gameday roster if mac were to go down. So guessing we’ll carry 3..

Agreed. After 3 weeks I think we have to add Zappe and carry 3. Probably need another RB too. I assume we reduce the # of OL players plus injuries.

Last edited:

Just to corral the sense of optimism a little, here's a couple quotes from Lazar:
Corral's accuracy struggles make it difficult to envision him developing into a starter.
Although those plays will have you talking yourself into Corral, he really struggles with his accuracy while throwing to receivers who are on the move.
Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien now has a developmental quarterback prospect to work with who has a higher ceiling than the other backup options on New England's roster. If O'Brien can fix Corral's mechanics to make him a more consistent downfield thrower, it's an intriguing lottery ticket and one the Pats should be taking.

The Patriots should be taking these fliers because they already have a "you know what you're getting" backup with Zappe, and even Mac Jones is more point guard/distributor than a playmaker. Still, Corral has a long way to go, and although there might be more upside, Corral might not even be the active backup on game day for the first few weeks.

Last edited:
I imagine if the Pats EVER tried to move Corral to the PS the Panthers would claim hin just for spite.
I think several teams would. It really seems that this pickup wasn't just for a test run for a few weeks. It seems that this is their QB move that we were all wondering about. I expected a vet like Siemian or maybe McCoy, but if he shows any capacity to learn quickly, he might be the #2 - leaving Zappe on PS, and maybe gone in a couple weeks.

I think several teams would. It really seems that this pickup wasn't just for a test run for a few weeks. It seems that this is their QB move that we were all wondering about. I expected a vet like Siemian or maybe McCoy, but if he shows any capacity to learn quickly, he might be the #2 - leaving Zappe on PS, and maybe gone in a couple weeks.
I think they want to see if they can mold him into a solid/cheap backup for a few years... which is what I thought their plan for Bailey was.

What's true about any new QB, is they are always the next great thing.
There's not a more beloved position in all of sports, than a freshly signed, inexperienced, backup QB.
The less they've done, the greater the fantasy.
Just like Zappe was all of last year, just like Malik was in training camp.
What does that say about the human experience?

What's true about any new QB, is they are always the next great thing.
There's not a more beloved position in all of sports, than a freshly signed, inexperienced, backup QB.
The less they've done, the greater the fantasy.
Just like Zappe was all of last year, just like Malik was in training camp.
What does that say about the human experience?
That there is some hope balancing the fear that pervades most posts on here?

How soon does Corral go on IR so that Zappe can be Moved up?

Another interesting read on Corral:

It will be up to Belichick and O’Brien to mold the 24-year-old into what they believe he can become and one NFL scout thinks it could be a good marriage between quarterback and team.

“Way better fit for what the Patriots are trying to do under O’Brien, at least from what I could see in the preseason,” the scout told Giardi. “Twitchy thrower. Can bring the velo(city). Decent feet. Jury is still out on whether or not he’s an NFL quarterback, but I can tell you that the people in Carolina felt much better about how he progressed both on and off the field in the last year, as if the light went on and he realizes what he needs to do to stick in this league.”

I doubt Zappe or Corral are gone in a few weeks. Reading some commentators, it seems Corral struggles with deep balls and some accuracy issues. I am not qualified to know if those issues are correctable. I think we will have Jones, Zappe, and Corral on the 53 for the year starting in week 4, but I could be totally wrong. Who knows at this point?

Think we're at the stage where it's pretty clear the Pats are moving on from Zappe i.e. if Corral isn't the answer then they keep looking.

Think we're at the stage where it's pretty clear the Pats are moving on from Zappe i.e. if Corral isn't the answer then they keep looking.
Gotta assume they're not going to find anyone else this season unless injuries and QB play go completely off the rails. So probably they'll be looking to the draft again next year.

I’d still rather see a vet brought in to support Mac as the QB2 rather than a raw developmental project and one in particular with an injury history. He does have intriguing tools and hopefully they can be refined.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back