PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats add QB Matt Corral

IIRC, you hated Justin Fields during that draft. What changed your mind?

I mostly hated the thought of expending serious capital to acquire him after seeing what SF paid for Lance... I still thought Fields was the 2nd-best QB in that class but was also way, Way behind Trevor Lawrence overall and thus not worth a big trade-up.

P.S.: I originally thought that Zach McMILFson was the 2nd-best in the class; but the farther along the draft process went, the more he scared me...

Last edited:
What Stidham looked like in 2020 is completely irrelevant today. After he was traded to raiders, McDaniels worked with him in TC, gave him tons of live action in preseason and he wound up playing several games when Carr was injured. He has come along way. He is extremely accurate, throws a great deep ball, has great pocket presence and is reasonably mobile. As of 2023 he is very good and in my opinion better than over the hill Wilson.
The question was asked why they didn’t play Stidham over Cam, it was entirely relevant.

Stidham played three games last year, went 0-2, completed 63% of his passes, threw 4 TD’s and 3 INT’s. He had Devante Adams, Waller, Renfrow, Moreau and Josh Jacob’s.

Two years later he might be a little better, it certainly wouldn’t have helped us in 2020 and Mac is a better player overall…. why are we pining over Stidham?

Last edited:
I still have questions on whether Firlds passing will come around. Then again I believed Zach Wilson to be the 2nd best qb and hoped early on that he would be there at in the teens within range for us.

What bothered me about the evaluations of Stidham from this site was that they were based on very little playing time, on his being inserted late into a game that was already over. I remember one game in the championship era when Matt Cassell replaced Brady during a Patriots blowout of Miami. In his second or third call from scrimmage, Cassell threw a pick six to Jason Taylor. Out he goes, in comes Brady. Yet Cassell had a reasonable career as a sometime starter and decent backup quarterback. Stidham was never given the chance to practice with the first team in preparation for a Sunday game and then to play the whole game. Maybe he would have played as poorly as he did in his short stints, but we will never know because Belichick thought it more important to play Cam in a meaningless Jets game.
If BB pulled Cam for the guy who looked like crap in practice he would have faced a revolt.

It’s not important what we saw. It’s important what the coaches and players observed. All the QB’s were subpar in 2020, Cam unfortunately was the best of a bad lot.

I mostly hated the thought of expending serious capital to acquire him after seeing what SF paid for Lance... I still thought Fields was the 2nd-best QB in that class but was also way, Way behind Trevor Lawrence overall and thus not worth a big trade-up.
Fields led the NFL in turnovers last year, he sucked.

The idea that he was “good” only exists because fantasy football and he runs fast.

I still have questions on whether Firlds passing will come around. Then again I believed Zach Wilson to be the 2nd best qb and hoped early on that he would be there at in the teens within range for us.
I'm not saying he's hopeless, he has tools and was semi-accurate in college.

He sucked last year though, he was only good in fantasy because most fantasy leagues don't take points away for fumbles, interceptions and bone headed plays.

He averaged 21 passing attempts per game for a reason. He's also on his second headcoach in two years, it's not just about drafting the right player but also player development. A crap organization usually puts out crap.

Barely... We saw the Scamster play a lot though; he was ass post-covid.

Bill should've pulled the plug on him - and the season - after Cant fumbled-away the loss in Barfalo two days before the trade deadline... Bill at that point should've heeded Randolf Duke's advice...
Cam got paid 500K guaranteed. They were doing the Patriots version of "tanking" in 2020 and I'm okay with it. In fact I endorsed it prior to that season starting. They were in cap hell and had to clear the books.

We chanted for Zappe. People always want the underdog for no reason.
Zappe played well prior to that. Stidham pissed down his leg.

I'll take Mac, Zappe and Corral over JimmyG/Stidham all-day everyday.

It's not just about drafting the right player but also player development. A crap organization usually puts out crap.

I am curious to watch the Lions and Goff. The organization has been stable. I am not a huge Dan Campbell fan, too rah-rah for me, but he is steady and supports their players. The Lions took the less traveled path in the draft. It will be interesting how they do.

I am curious to watch the Lions and Goff. The organization has been stable. I am not a huge Dan Campbell fan, too rah-rah for me, but he is steady and supports their players. The Lions took the less traveled path in the draft. It will be interesting how they do.
The Lions are extremely good because their offensive line, those guys are dominant. They also have had good weapons, so Goff just has to play point guard. His problem, he doesn't possess superior accuracy and doesn't have a superior football intellect to control an offense or audible. He can only run the play sent in, and a smart defense like the Pat's which is a living thing that can fool him, he can't counter it.

I like the rookie QB they took from Tennessee, but he won't play this year due to injury. But the Lions are all offense and no defense, what's the point?

If Bill had been a Seller at the deadline - as he should've been - our tank might been deep enough to land Justin Fields without even a trade-up...
I'm not convinced that would be an upgrade. At least Mac can hit the broad side of a barn.

Man, watched Hard Knocks where the Jets played the Panthers this preseason - it doesn't show much, but seems like Corral got the snot beat out of him by the Jets D.
Actually, watching that propaganda piece, you come away thinking the Jets are a historic dynasty.
I'll tell you one thing, their DL is going to scare me. We're going to face the Eagles and Jets DL in the first 3 weeks of the season, with our wavering OL trying to get back into football shape - not a good combo.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back