PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats acquire DE/OLB Derrick Burgess for draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
In his defense I think his use of the term "we" is fine as I believe he meant "we" in referring to sports fans who actually think they know more than the front office

If that's the case, it's even worse. He just compared a bunch of Red Sox fans to the Evil Empire. I suspect he'll be receiving dozens of death threats in his PM box. :cool:

Re: Pats acquire DE/OLB Derrick Burgess for draft pick

Justifying the price paid for somebody who is 31 years old, has declining sack totals, has hardly ever played the position he will be asked to play, and is in the final year of his contract, by reminding us how often the FO has swung & missed during the rounds in
which that price will be paid, doesn't exactly inspire maximum confidence in the FO's abilities in either the drafting or the trading departments.

Then again, considering how well I think that Bill has performed over the last 5/6 drafts, maybe I should hope that he trades away all of his draft picks for experienced vets, as George Allen did with the 'Skins. Because as of now, Burgess is our 2nd-best, if not best, pass-rusher...and he hasn't even played a down for us yet.

I agree if you're trying to say that the drafts haven't been stupendous lately. Ugh, I got suckered into it again. WHY DID WE DRAFT CHAD JAX OVER JENNINGS!!!!!! UGGHHHHHH, ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NIGHT. THANKS!

Purple-lipped hermaphrodites?
Spoken like a man with experience.
huepfen024.gif

I strongly disagree.

The value of the trade is inherently dependent on actual production. It's the thoughts of perceived value that we're discussing now which are actually worthless. Who cares about our predictions today? What really matters is what actually happens on the field.

The most ridiculous discussion I've been involved in was with a poster who believed the Patriots overpaid for Wes Welker because they threw in a 7th round pick. In other words, Wes Welker might be worth a 2nd round pick, but not a 2nd rounder and 7th rounder. And the poster continued to feel that way after Welker's first year with the Pats. Incredibly stupid, IMO. Hindsight says that Welker's production is easily worth a first rounder. Some are calling him possibly the best slot receiver of all time! Simply because everyone undervalued Welker doesn't mean that he's not worth a lot more than the Patriots paid. If teams had a crystal ball and could foresee Welker's production, there's no way the Dolphins wouldn't have tendered him higher and there's no way the Dolphins would have agreed to a trade with the Patriots at the bargain price they received.

You do realize that your example of Welker actually supports Deus Irae's statemtent that its based on the value at the time the trade is made. Unlike your friend, I was pushing for a Welker signing months before the 2006 season ended. When they pulled the trade, I felt they'd gotten a steal. A 7th round pick just to ensure that they had the right of first refusal and didn't have to deal with a poison pill? Well worth it.

Yes, HINDSIGHT says the Pats got a steal. But, at the time, they got a receiver whom they felt could be another Troy Brown or a Wyne Chrebet type player. Welker has exceeded those expectations.

Justifying the price paid for somebody who is 31 years old, has declining sack totals, has hardly ever played the position he will be asked to play, and is in the final year of his contract, by reminding us how often the FO has swung & missed during the rounds in which that price will be paid, does not exactly instill maximum confidence in the FO for either the drafting or the trading departments.

Then again, considering how well I think that Bill has performed over the last 5/6 drafts, maybe I should hope that he trades away all of his draft picks for experienced vets, as George Allen did with the 'Skins. Because as of now, Burgess is our 2nd-best, if not best, pass-rusher...and he hasn't even played a down for us yet.

The last 5 or 6 drafts? what did they do? Well, 2009 can't be judged yet, though you insist on trying to. So lets look back from 2004-2009:

2008:
Mayo, Wheatley, Crable, O'Connell, Wilhite, Slater, Ruud, SD 2nd Rnd pick in 2009.

Mayo is a starter. Wheatley was played well until he injured his left wrist when he landed wrong after being upended on a play. Wilhite came in and played well at the end of the year earning a few starts. Slater was a regular on special teams. Crable the jury is still out on. O'Connell is still a work in progress as the back-up QB, but showed enough to make Gutierrez expendable. You remember Gutierrez, right? The one you claimed would have a better career than Cassel. Ruud was IRed and has since been let go.

2007:
Meriweather, Kareem Brown, Moss, Welker, Rogers, Richardson, Hairston, Hilliard, Oldenberg, Lua, Elgin.

Most people look at this draft and ignore the acquisitions of Moss and Welker. But you can't. Simply for the fact that draft picks were used to acquire them.

Meriweather is a starter. Brown made it out of camp, but was let go due to injuries elsewhere on the roster. The Pats tried to stash Rogers on the PS, but the Cowboys claimed him and he's a special teams Ace for them now. Richardson is entering his 3rd camp and has an uphill battle due to the Pats drafting 3 CBs in the last 2 years as well as the acquisitions of Bodden and Springs. Hilliard, Oldenburg and Elgin have been floating around the league on other teams practice squads. Lua is gone after a year on the IR. Hairston was let go with an injury settlement during camp.

Overall, if you ignore Moss and Welker, it would seem to be a poor draft. But one thing most people overlook is that the Pats, pretty much, had their final roster before the draft. So, there weren't many, if any Roster spots to be had.

2006:
Maroney, Jackson, Thomas, Mills, Gostkowski, O'Callaghan, Mincey, Stevenson, LK Smith, Andrews

People claim this was a bad draft, but it wasn't. It was actually very good. Jackson's career got de-railed due to a torn ACL in the 2006 Championship game and he couldn't get back on the field in 2007 and then couldn't earn Brady's trust in 2008. Maroney has been good when healthy and has tried to play through injuries to his shoulder, to no avail. Gostkowski has quickly become a top 10 (possibly top 5) kicker in the league. O'Callaghan moved past Britt to earn the starting job when Kaczur was out. However, injuries and concussions have de-railed him the last two years. Mills, the Pats tried to stash on the PS only to have Brad Childress swipe him. Mills continues to play for the Vikings. Willie Andrews was a top Special Teamer for 3 years before off-field incidents landed him out of the league. LK Smith has seen more and more time each year. Mincey didn't give it his all in camp because he "thought he'd have a year to learn the defense" and was cut. He's now seeing time with Jacksonville.

2005:
Mankins, Hobbs, Kaczur, Sanders, Claridge, Cassel, Stokes

Outside of Claridge and Stokes, this draft produced 5 starting caliber players. That's a home run.

2004:
Wilfork, Watson, Hill, Scott, Reid, Cobbs, Sam, Morton

Wilfork is one of the best in the league. Watson, has had his ups and downs, but has been above average overall. Hill, according to BB and his teammates, was the consummate teammate and it was only the dept of the D-line that prevented him from being an impact on the field. Scott got de-railed by an ACL injury in camp after he signed. Reid was brought in to be a special teamer. Cobbs, Sam and Morton were projects. BTW, Morton is still kicking around the league.

Even if I was being cynical and ignoring the additions of Welker and Moss in 2007, its one below average draft in 5. And the 2007 draft was one of the weakest in history. But, anyways..

What you think and what is reality are two different things. And you have no way of proving that the players you think they should have taken would have worked out for the Patriots.

Heres a lil take on Burgess to the Patriots via a NFL.com chat with Vic Carruci

mike, toronto
12:27 PM ET
With the recent addition of derrick burgess, what impact will this have on the patroits defence? Does this make them a top 5 defence?
Carucci_small
Vic Carucci, Senior Columnist, NFL.com
It should have a major impact. Burgess is a talented pass-rusher, and I think, in the Patriots' scheme, he'll have ample opportunity to make a difference. The Patriots already were a strong Super Bowl contender, but this addition clearly makes them stronger because it fills the most serious hole that they had.

NFL Live Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday