PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp- Tuesday August 16th

Ok . Let's do both.. with dax hill and karlaftis looking really good, did we over invest in Cole strange ? If strange is performing close to Zion or Kenyon green.

It's still early but Thornton has been killing it in camp, so is Marcus Jones . Nothing is being heard about strange . It's not negative but seems muted .
It's always so hard to fight through confirmation bias, especially when there is only fragmentary information...

That's a really tough call between Nixon and Wilkerson. They've both been very good and flashed potential.
But I agree Nixon has the slight edge.
Hopefully Wilkerson makes it to PS, but I doubt it this year.

With McDaniels in LVR, there's a strong chance of Wilkerson being snagged by them. But there could be other teams as well.

The longer nothing happens with Flowers the more it indicates that this fan meme is somehow way wrong.
I don't know about a fan meme...I'm a fan and hope he signs. He tweeted that 12 days ago.

With McDaniels in LVR, there's a strong chance of Wilkerson being snagged by them. But there could be other teams as well.
Also could be Agholor going to LV with him having his best season there.

Odd conclusion to draw IMO, for two reasons:

1. Going on IR is no longer guaranteed to be season ending, right?

2. Are we sure Butler is going to be a meaningful contributor? Seems Mills, Jones, Jones are all ahead of him, and Mitchell is even or ahead. By the end of the season I wouldn’t be surprised if Jack Jones has passed him on the depth chart, so barring injuries, Butler was looking, at best, to be the team’s 4th or 5th CB; he could ultimately be as low as their 6th, on the merit of others.
1) Being put on IR prior to the cut down to 53 DOES end your season. So Both Williams and Butler are done.
2) No, we're not sure that Butler was going to be a contributor.

Ok . Let's do both.. with dax hill and karlaftis looking really good, did we over invest in Cole strange ? If strange is performing close to Zion or Kenyon green.

It's still early but Thornton has been killing it in camp, so is Marcus Jones . Nothing is being heard about strange . It's not negative but seems muted .

I think I read that strange had a rep against big dt brown and held his own!

Ps: I really thought bb was going to take Dax hill in the draft.

It's always so hard to fight through confirmation bias, especially when there is only fragmentary information...
There's been plenty reported on Strange. Reports from basically every practice.

Back from my first Patriots Training Camp. It was a fun, interesting experience. It was neat to see how they turn drills into concepts and those concepts into plays. I was sitting with some Panthers fans and they were excited since our seats were in the first row and nearest to the Panthers bench.

Apparently there was a big fight that I didn't see (more on that in the next paragraph) and a couple of players got tossed from practice. I mostly saw the Pats defense which looked pretty good. I can't say much about the offense but they did make some good plays in the scrimmage part of the practice.

The thing I didn't like (but I understand why they did it this way) was that the Pats starters, especially the offensive players, were on the second of the two fields...away from the main Pats fans bench area. I had some binoculars which helped things. But I didn't get a good look at what I was really there to see. It was set up this way so that, presumably, there would be fewer distractions for the players. I get it...I just wish I had known that when racing to get what I thought would be a prime seat.

Still, it was cool to see. I don't know if I'd go again...maybe armed with the information I have about seating now, it would be more fun (the people who had standing room seats seemed to have a better view of the action).

...By the end of the season I wouldn’t be surprised if Jack Jones has passed him on the depth chart, so barring injuries, Butler was looking, at best, to be the team’s 4th or 5th CB; he could ultimately be as low as their 6th, on the merit of others.

You just questioned your own answer why injuries to Malcolm & even SloJuan aren't good... Firstly, less-worthy CBs are moved up the depth chart undeservedly; and secondly, those that are ahead of them might be forced to play snaps that would've gone to Butler & Willies, thereby increasing the odds of those guys being injured too...

Did the Panthers observers give completion numbers for their QBs? I’d be curious to see that.
I didn't see it the thread I read, sorry. (link if u have the curiosity: Patriots Joint Practice Day 1)

70% completion rate isn't bad. I'm not too worried about what the Panthers thought. Everyone is looking at it from their team is a contender right now.
This pretty much summarizes their pov:

"As fans, we should come away feeling good on today's practice. We had a dawg in us, and we were able to put more points on the board, and created way more turnovers. Exactly what the team has been stating they wanted to accomplish this offseason. " - TheCasillas

"Honestly. I kind of like the fights. Shows some toughness. That is that we're not the ones starting them just not backing down." - Floppin

So while I agree with your final 2 sentences, I think 70% of mostly checkdowns and with a lot of fumbles, that's concerning (for practice). I emphisize the fighting bc it's not really like us and maybe they are right about their D frustrating our O

In the end Im good with these reports. Seems like we are winning most individual drills but really we just haven't gell on offense. On to the next TC

I didn't see it the thread I read, sorry. (link if u have the curiosity: Patriots Joint Practice Day 1)

"As fans, we should come away feeling good on today's practice. We had a dawg in us, and we were able to put more points on the board, and created way more turnovers. Exactly what the team has been stating they wanted to accomplish this offseason. " - TheCasillas

"Honestly. I kind of like the fights. Shows some toughness. That is that we're not the ones starting them just not backing down." - Floppin

So while I agree with your final 2 sentences, I think 70% of mostly checkdowns and with a lot of fumbles, that's concerning (for practice). I emphisize the fighting bc it's not really like us and maybe they are right about their D frustrating our O

In the end Im good with these reports. Seems like we are winning most individual drills but really we just haven't gell on offense. On to the next TC
Thanks for finding the Panthers version of events

1660732716802.gif

I'll be sad not to see Butler out there this year for old times' sake. Here's hoping Shaun Wade steps up. He's really the guy they need, since a lot of their corners are on the smaller side besides him.
From "The Butler Did It" to "The Butler's Done" in 7 years.

There are some positive reports out there on Strange and some early negative ones (mainly in the one on one drills vs Barmore, etc). But it's tough to say how good Strange is going to be until we see him in a game against top defenses...unlike Thornton and Jones, who are playing at skill positions, it's easy to see how they are progressing in camp because of the splashy plays they make on the field (e.g., great reception, pass break up, INT, etc). For offensive linemen, as long as you don't hear anything bad about them, it's usually a good sign

The Panthers have one of the better defenses in the league. It’s an important distinction.
So are you saying thats a good or bad completion rate against that defense

Weren't there reports that Mac hit a long TD to Parker? Also didn't Thornton have a long gain? I mean in the grand scheme of most games, you only get a couple of long plays a game usually

You just questioned your own answer why injuries to Malcolm & even SloJuan aren't good... Firstly, less-worthy CBs are moved up the depth chart undeservedly; and secondly, those that are ahead of them might be forced to play snaps that would've gone to Butler & Willies, thereby increasing the odds of those guys being injured too...
IR players also take up room on the salary cap, you can't use their cap space to get replacements. The only "benefit" is the roster spot.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back