PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Tender Jonathan Jones and Josh Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is you can't expend all your resources at one position, especially if you project that JC Jackson is a stud that you will keep. Gilmore + Jackson probably means you'll be filling in with with rookies, 2nd year guys like Duke Dawson, and older vets like McCourty and Rowe.
But jc Jackson hasn’t shown anywhere near enough to say my 2 starters are locked up and don’t need any competition or backup quality, I think.

But jc Jackson hasn’t shown anywhere near enough to say my 2 starters are locked up and don’t need any competition or backup quality, I think.

You're right--one year or even a 1/2 season really of a solid performance does not lock up that position, but you can bet that Jackson is going to be there to start the year rather than Jones. I still don't think you can give Jones what he's going to command next year ($10m) when you have Gilmore at $14.5m and will be looking at Jackson a year or two down the line, if things proceed well with him. I'm also sure the Patriots are going to draft at least one CB early, but they really need to focus on safeties who are getting long in the tooth: McCourty, Chung and Harmon are not for long with the Patriots.

That Tender made me breathe sigh of relief at WR. Edelman and Gordon could carry this Team minus Gronk.
I'm not sure about the relief. Josh still needs to A) be allowed to come back and B) stay clean

Neither one are sure things.

You're right--one year or even a 1/2 season really of a solid performance does not lock up that position, but you can bet that Jackson is going to be there to start the year rather than Jones. I still don't think you can give Jones what he's going to command next year ($10m) when you have Gilmore at $14.5m and will be looking at Jackson a year or two down the line, if things proceed well with him. I'm also sure the Patriots are going to draft at least one CB early, but they really need to focus on safeties who are getting long in the tooth: McCourty, Chung and Harmon are not for long with the Patriots.
Oh god no. 10 mill is ridiculous.
A lot can and will happen in the next 12 months that will change the outlook of the secondary.

The Josh Gordon decision would indicate that the Pats' front office sees him as returning for at least part of next year, and that they have at least some confidence that he can not violate again.

So Gordon gets less time than his previous NFL hiatus which was a 1 year suspension?

He should keep on smoking until hes back to only missing 4 games.

If Jones is a steal, we should have used a 1st rounder tender.

More than likely
At some point we will spend money to keep our own.
Jonathan Jones is a steal at 3 Mill absolute steal.
I could still see a scenario where we do a long term deal with him in the 7 Mill a year range.

Yes, $3-5M is in line with his role, which is why we might have considered a 1st round tender.

7 mill is more than double the average cap hit you can have on your 53. Jones pkayed 49% of the snaps last year and 41 the year before.
20 players played more 24 played 40% or more.
Seems like 3-5 is more in line with his role. IMO.

Compared to what Justin Coleman got, this is fantastic. Jones is better than Coleman. If another team wants to steal him, go right ahead. Patriots have Duke Dawson and Crossen waiting in the wings.

I'm not sure about the relief. Josh still needs to A) be allowed to come back and B) stay clean

Neither one are sure things.

A is already a done deal Goodell likes Gordon and is familiar with him and the situation ... B is the hope.

A is already a done deal Goodell likes Gordon and is familiar with him and the situation ... B is the hope.

How do we know Goodell likes Gordon ?

Changed my position on Jones whom I really like. I hope someone takes him for a 2nd. Having another 2020 2nd pick gives extra trade up ammo in the QB draft next season. Plus, he might well be gone after this season with an end of 4th comp pick in what, 2021?

Changed my position on Jones whom I really like. I hope someone takes him for a 2nd. Having another 2020 2nd pick gives extra trade up ammo in the QB draft next season. Plus, he might well be gone after this season with an end of 4th comp pick in what, 2021?
I believe the deadline to sign a RFA to an offer sheet is prior to the draft so we would get the second rounder this year if someone signs him to an offer sheet and the Pats don't match.
As mentioned, we have Duke Dawson (unproven) and Crossen (who played well at year's end) as well as the possibility JMac comes back. There's also the draft and BB's specialty in picking up UFA DB's.

Are the Pats allowed to do this as a placeholder, while they negotiate a longer term deal with him? I could see them trying to tempt him this year with a 4 year deal, while he's still reasonably cheap.

Yes. The "must sign LTD by July" rule doesn't appear for RFA tenders.

how could Gordon be reinstated by training camp after latest failed test when prior failed tests kept him out indefinitely?

Jones is a sensible tender. He's a core special teamer and okay nickel back. We are covered on the inside with him and Dawson. Just need to find a boundary corner to compete with Jackson.

Personally I would have cut Gordon loose. I sadly don't see him overcoming his addictions and would prefer to find a more secure/long term solution at the spot.

Point being I'd rather have someone take him off our hands and return a second round pick than us getting (maybe) a 4th round pick in 2 years.

I cringe whenever I see an argument like this.

This is the wrong comparison.

The question is not, "Would you rather have a 2 in 2019 or a 3/4 in 2021?"

The correct question is, "Would you rather have a 2 in 2019, or a year of Jones at $3M plus a 3/4 in 2021?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes