PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Tender Jonathan Jones and Josh Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, BTW, there's this lovely treat in the CBA that makes me wonder if the Pats actually would get a 2 for Gordon (yeah, I know, nobody will sign him, etc.).

(c)(ii) Notwithstanding Subsection 2(b)(i) above, in the event that a Prior Club tenders any of its Restricted Free Agents originally selected in a draft round lower than the second round a Qualifying Offer that requires Draft Choice Compensation of one second round selection (the “(c)(ii) Upgraded Tender”), the Prior Club shall only be eligible to receive Draft Choice Compensation of one third round selection for any of its Restricted Free Agents originally selected in the second round of the Draft, unless such Restricted Free Agents have each received a Qualifying Offer of at least the amount of the (c)(ii) Upgraded Tender.

Given the poor drafting of the CBA, I simply am not sure whether or not it applies here (since Jones was undrafted).

But jc Jackson hasn’t shown anywhere near enough to say my 2 starters are locked up and don’t need any competition or backup quality, I think.
In my opinion, cornerback and offensive line are the two areas where you can never really have too much depth.

I cringe whenever I see an argument like this.

This is the wrong comparison.

The question is not, "Would you rather have a 2 in 2019 or a 3/4 in 2021?"

The correct question is, "Would you rather have a 2 in 2019, or a year of Jones at $3M plus a 3/4 in 2021?"

You know then finish reading the damn paragraph you are quoting instead of cringing because it is ALL right there:

Point being I'd rather have someone take him off our hands and return a second round pick than us getting (maybe) a 4th round pick in 2 years. With Brady and the rest of the team being where they are that additional second round pick would be pretty nice. And with Dawson, JCJ and Crossen there is some young depth on the roster.

So, yes, given our young depth I am absolutely fine changing a 2nd rounder now against a year of JJones and a 3/4 in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back