PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Super Bowl week Thread: Practice Notes, Injury Updates, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Flowers is hopefully another Mike Vrabel undervalued by another team and given a chance to bloom in a different environment.

Vrabel had zero starts in 4 years in Pittsburgh, while Flowers had 3 starts in 4 years with the Bengals.

Maybe the Pats like playing the AFC North disrespected you card.

That's an OLB/DE heritage that runs through Nink, too.
Marquis Flowers is no more a DE than I am. He can be effective in what he is able to do, but comparing him in any way to Mike Vrabel is a disservice to Vrabel.

Taking chances on UDFAs & Street FAs? No problem.

Taking chances on crap who haven't done jack sh!t in 3 years, and using one of the teams precious few draft picks to confirm that fact? Problem.
a 5th rounder is no great loss.

I get it. However the same people refuse to acknowledge success is being right a little more than being wrong.

It may be because that's not the actual definition of success. People don't need to accept the same spin on a word (as opposed to its actual definition) that you do, or that I do, or that anyone else does.

And Lord knows that Captain Stone loves him some griping about perceived personnel failures.

Last edited:
Kony Ealy was never given a real (i.e.: regular-season games) chance here.
And I'd still rather have him now than GeeNo Gruesome.
Why would you want a guy who doesn't want to play the role you need him to? That's not how you win.

Grissom has more sacks this year than Ealy. True story.

It may be because that's not the actual definition of success. People don't need to accept the same spin on a word (as opposed to its actual definition) that you do, or that I do, or that anyone else does.

Lord knows that Captain Stone loves him some griping about perceived draft failures.
I think the measurement is a risk/reward.

I think the measurement is a risk/reward.

Sure, and I don't have a problem with your overall take. I'm just saying that others won't come to the same conclusions you do, and that's alright too, because we're dealing with an imprecision (explanation of success in this particular context).

And arguing about the in between (i.e. "what is enough to be success?" in this instance) is where the fun is. ;)

In the business of NFL personnel evaluation and team-building, if you do not take risks you cannot succeed.

Some of those risks that you take will turn out to be unwise choices and some will turn out to be wise (or even brilliant) choices.

BB is way up on the positive side of the balance sheet, so arguing about entries in the negative side, or arguing that there should be no entries there at all, is pretty silly.

In the business of NFL personnel evaluation and team-building, if you do not take risks you cannot succeed.

Some of those risks that you take will turn out to be unwise choices and some will turn out to be wise (or even brilliant) choices.

BB is way up on the positive side of the balance sheet, so arguing about entries in the negative side, or arguing that there should be no entries there at all, is pretty silly.

How so?

He has taken enough draft /free agent /trade gambles that worked out well or even brilliantly (like drafting Gronk where he did despite his injury history in college, Moss trade, Welker trade) that the inevitable draft /free agent /trade misses have been manageable.

Kony Ealy was never given a real (i.e.: regular-season games) chance here.
And I'd still rather have him now than GeeNo Gruesome.

Take a guess at which one has had more sacks this season (so far).

Taking chances on UDFAs & Street FAs? No problem.

Taking chances on crap who haven't done jack sh!t in 3 years, and using one of the teams precious few draft picks to confirm that fact? Problem.

Well, what college prospect has ever done jacksh!t in the NFL before he was drafted?

He has taken enough draft /free agent /trade gambles that worked out well or even brilliantly (like drafting Gronk where he did despite his injury history in college, Moss trade, Welker trade) that the inevitable draft /free agent /trade misses have been manageable.

Ok, so it's your baseline opinion on the matter. That's absolutely fair enough, but it doesn't really mesh well with

arguing about entries in the negative side, or arguing that there should be no entries there at all, is pretty silly.

It's easy to make a reasonable argument for either side of the ledger, even as the team's been winning SBs. That's one of the beauties of the BB/TB combination, when it comes to discussion fodder.

Also, he got Gronk by trading out of Rd1 in 2009, taking Chung with the Cassel compensation, and then traded IN FRONT of OzzieNewsome for Gronk, while Ozzie took Dennis Pitta instead. LOL

I mean, talk about an exhibition of personnel wizardry there, where it still pays dividends to this very day.

If you look the 2009/2010 yields, it was this:

Chung, Vollmer, Edelman, (Hoyer/undrafted), Gronk, McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes