PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign QB Kessler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Hoyer?

The difference is that Stidham is still taking the practice reps as a QB2 whereas with Hoyer he would have mostly run the scout team. Add in a certain difference in pay between Hoyer and Kessler and there you go.

Kessler's a former 3rd round pick, is 26, and has NFL experience.

I don't think this is a one-week rental.

The difference is that Stidham is still taking the practice reps as a QB2 whereas with Hoyer he would have mostly run the scout team. Add in a certain difference in pay between Hoyer and Kessler and there you go.
The Patriots have run with 2 QBs for too many seasons for this to be accurate.

Stidham's not ready.

BB just signed a QB to stop us and media talking about AB. How are you guys missing that ? :D:rolleyes:

Stidham was good enough in preseason to beat out a trusted back up in Hoyer...then all of a sudden with one bad pass he is not ready? I dont buy it. Not sure why they signed Kessler but would agree with other folks that TB12 willl get a rest during the week.

He was not better than Hoyer in the preseason.

But given enough experience through reps and film review the staff (i.e. McD/BB) must have felt comfortable that Stidham would be competent enough by November or December to at least guide them through a game or two.

So they took the risk that Tom won't get injured and misses 2-4 games until then which is the only scenario where you really would have wanted Hoyer.

Brady to be suspended for his angry "let them play" tweets questioning the league's refs?;)

Your thoughts on our latest acquisition?

Kessler's a former 3rd round pick, is 26, and has NFL experience.

I don't think this is a one-week rental.
Kessler should really try hard to stick for one year

If he plays his cards right, he might become a Back-Up QB in the league for at least 5 years

The Patriots have run with 2 QBs for too many seasons for this to be accurate.

Stidham's not ready.

Of course he is not ready. If he was projected to be NFL ready as a rookie in September he would have been picked in the top 10.

But the added reps will help with his development and he will look entirely different maybe already in November/December.

Hopefully we won't have to see him on the field until next August.

Kessler should really try hard to stick for one year

If he plays his cards right, he might become a Back-Up QB in the league for at least 5 years
Check out his numbers with the Browns. Other than the W-L, they're not terrible at all. And that was as a rookie.

Cody Kessler Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I like that completion percentage, particularly.

Of course he is not ready. If he was projected to be NFL ready as a rookie in September he would have been picked in the top 10.

But the added reps will help with his development and he will look entirely different maybe already in November/December.

I have the sneaking suspicion Kessler might be here to stay.

what argument is that?

Dak was a 4th round pick and played well as a rookie.

If this signing was solely about running scout team, I would think they’d have just added a practice squad QB to do so. Etling last year being just one example.

I have the sneaking suspicion Kessler might be here to stay.

Based on what ? A garbage time rookie mistake ?

Don't get me wrong but the way people where overreacting to how he looked at against preseason roster players, some are now overreacting to that pick 6.

@SBLIII You really sold on Stidham after just a little Pre-season. His first time on the NFL field he was ghastly. Now it is true that Brett Farve's first NFL pass was a pick 6. (Same for Sam Darnold I beleive)

But Stidham is not gonna be the heir. You don't strike lightening like that twice. Brady is an anomaly.

Next Pat QB somehow needs to be a top pick in my opinion

Based on what ? A garbage time rookie mistake ?

Don't get me wrong but the way people where overreacting to how he looked at against preseason roster players, some are now overreacting to that pick 6.
It's not just the Pick 6. That was just one of many, many overthrows on easy throws he had in the preseason, that were ignored because Meyers and Gunner were fighting to make the team.

I've been pretty consistent, he's not ready, I was dumbfounded that they let Hoyer walk, and my guess was, as you were, that they'd let him develop, and hoped he'd "get it". Looked like the same mistakes to me.

@SBLIII You really sold on Stidham after just a little Pre-season. His first time on the NFL field he was ghastly. Now it is true that Brett Farve's first NFL pass was a pick 6. (Same for Sam Darnold I beleive)

But Stidham is not gonna be the heir. You don't strike lightening like that twice. Brady is an anomaly.

Next Pat QB somehow needs to be a top pick in my opinion

Not sold and I agree with you that the next starting QB is unlikely to be Stidham. However I don't draw a conclusion from this signing that Stidham isn't ready nor from his couple of snaps against NYJ.

Stidham was good enough in preseason to beat out a trusted back up in Hoyer...then all of a sudden with one bad pass he is not ready? I dont buy it. Not sure why they signed Kessler but would agree with other folks that TB12 willl get a rest during the week.
Maybe trading Hoyer was a bad move. We don't know yet. He did just sign a QB after Stidham looked awful. Hoyer did not get beat out in pre-season I don't think. They just kept the back up they "hoped" could be the heir.

Maybe they are not too sure about it now. It's just a message board anyway. No GMs in here.

what argument is that?

Dak was a 4th round pick and played well as a rookie.

So what is your point ? That people in some cases misevaluate players and they get drafted later than they should have been ? Congrats on that realisation.

Nobody projected Prescott to be ready and he only got a chance behind one of the best OL in NFL history and Zeke having a great rookie season because Romo got injured.

It was obvious during preseason that Stidham wasn't there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes