PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots sign OT Chukwuma Okorafor

He signed two more contracts with the the Vikings, “bad” players don’t sign a second contract you said… so wrong again.
Don't be obtuse. A 2nd contract means with the team that drafted him. Otherwise you're a FA, but you know this. In fact, no one drafted in the top 3 rounds signed a 2nd contract w/ NE since like 2013 or something.

Don't be obtuse. A 2nd contract means with the team that drafted him. Otherwise you're a FA, but you know this. In fact, no one drafted in the top 3 rounds signed a 2nd contract w/ NE since like 2013 or something.

"Obtuse" is used far too infrequently around here.

Every dime spent on bad players is money not spent on good players. They already have a good backup swingman in McDermott, they have a good project who might be close to competing in Wheatley. This is just dead money as far as I can see.

There are very few bad players in the NFL, just like there are very few excellent ones. One of the essential components of success is creating competition among the mediocre, to get the best out of them. That's 75% of any NFL roster.

Having three or four OT's who have been average or less, and who need next year to be better than last in order to keep their jobs, is a good thing. That's particularly true given that most teams only have one good OT.

He signed two more contracts with the the Vikings, “bad” players don’t sign a second contract you said… so wrong again.

Are you really comparing someone signing a $950,000 deal with someone signing for almost $10m per year?

He’s got a $2million signing bonus, guaranteed, a base salary of $1.25m, and the rest is playing time incentives.

For a big vet tackle who is young, durable, and has started 54 games in the NFL.

I very much approve of this move.
McDermott is better, signed through 2024, and is owed 1.1M with no signing bonus.

Obtuse is claiming that "player-X signed another contract, therefore he's good."

Tim Tebow was brought in by multiple teams, was he good? JC Jackson signed an 82.5 million dollar contract, ask the Chargers if he was worth it? How about Russell Wilson in Denver?

Again... why are you people so aghast at another fan pointing out that player-X isn't good?

Is this some sort of course correction, the big meanie at the top is gone so we have to protect Wolf/Mayo from the slings and arrows and be hypersensitive? Sounds like something a BB hater would engage in.

If Okarafor plays well, I'll be the first one here saying I was wrong, if he plays like crap... none of you people will be here saying "Wozzy was right." I don't give a rat's razz about your feelings or anyone else's, I call it like I see it.

A 32 yr old career backup. That’s all he is.
That's right, a professional backup who knows his role.

Look, I'm not trying to overreact to this signing, it's nothing in the big picture if they take real steps to fix the massive hole they have at OT. If they do that, this is a big nothing burger. But if this is their answer at RT we're screwed.

The only reason I spent this amount of time on Okorafor is you people taking my calling him a "jag" so personally. Again... are you guys related to the guy?

That's right, a professional backup who knows his role.

Look, I'm not trying to overreact to this signing, it's nothing in the big picture if they take real steps to fix the massive hole they have at OT. If they do that, this is a big nothing burger. But if this is their answer at RT we're screwed.

The only reason I spent this amount of time on Okorafor is you people taking my calling him a "jag" so personally. Again... are you guys related to the guy?
Chuk will be 27 in 2024… McDermott will be 32. Chuk has already started and played more games than McDermott. Why you holding on to the old past? Let it go. Embrace the yoots movement.

Chuk will be 27 in 2024… McDermott will be 32. Chuk has already started and played more games than McDermott. Why you holding on to the old past? Let it go. Embrace the yoots movement.
I'm done talking about Chukwuma.

I'll embrace the yoots, and pray they don't see this as a solution.

How many... you bring 90 guys to camp and whittle it down to 53?

Yup, and given how it is one of the most difficult positions to fill with competent bodies, 6-8 of them will be OT's. That's the right thing to do. They can't (and shouldn't) all be $10M+ players.

No, he isn’t. This is a good move. Get over it.
People told me Marshall Newhouse was “a good move” when I said he wasn’t… they didn’t come back later on to tell me I was correct. But I’m sure you’re different…

Last edited:
People told me Marshall Newhouse was “a good move” when I said he wasn’t… they didn’t come back later on to tell me I was correct. But I’m sure you’re different…
Who is Marshall Newhouse?

People told me Marshall Newhouse was a good move when I said he wasn’t good… they didn’t come back later on to tell me I was correct. But I’m sure you’re different…
Ah so you’re the ol guru everyone is talking about?! Everything makes sense now.

Who is Marshall Newhouse?
He’s the OT they signed in 2019 when Cannon got hurt, who started a lot of games also, got paid under two million per season and got Tom Brady hurt after making him run for his life.

I heard a lot of “this is a good move” then also. It wasn’t… but at least it was in the middle of the season due to desperation and with limited options available. This signing was at the very start of free agency with all options on the table.

Wolf needs to do better…

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back