PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots sign Malcom Butler

Glad he's back I guess, but does anyone have any insight of what to expect from him this year?

We lost our top 2 corners and replaced him with a guy who wasn't in the league.

Sure, it's a bit hyperbole but come on this isn't a good look.
Too early to say who is replacing whom.

CB depth was a problem last year so from that perspective this signing makes sense. Obviously, I agree with you that they still need CB1-level talent at the position.

I don't hate it. He had a decent year in 2020. The Cards were high on him last year when they signed him. I am hopeful that for one year that Belichick can get him close to what he was before his last year in his first stint with the Patriots.

Camp fodder. Gawd, what a horrible signing. We are screwed if this is indicative of our bottom feeding acquisitions.

I like Butler, but we cannot be done. We need faster corners. Jonathan Jones is the only cb with raw speed and he is coming off of injury. Diggs, Waddle, and Hill is a stupid amount of speed we will have to deal with. I shiver at the idea of Bentley trying to play zone even for a single play and attempting to catch these jet engines.

Malcolm Butler was legitimately good in 2020. He’s familiar with the system & plays with an edge that’ll be good for any rookie learning from him.

Pats have 3 NFL caliber CBs before the draft. Draft a rookie and they should have better depth than last year.

I like Butler, but we cannot be done. We need faster corners. Jonathan Jones is the only cb with raw speed and he is coming off of injury. Diggs, Waddle, and Hill is a stupid amount of speed we will have to deal with. I shiver at the idea of Bentley trying to play zone even for a single play and attempting to catch these jet engines.
Q) Is Butler better than Williams?

If the answer is "yes", this is a fine signing.

I expect us to draft a CB with our first pick.

Malcolm Butler was legitimately good in 2020. He’s familiar with the system & plays with an edge that’ll be good for any rookie learning from him.

Pats have 3 NFL caliber CBs before the draft. Draft a rookie and they should have better depth than last year.
Butler will be 2 years older than in 2020 and hasn’t played for a year I except his performance to be in the same ball park as Hightower this year.

A rookie, Butler, Mitchell, Mills, Williams doesn’t inspire confidence in me

Could be huge. Could be just this side of meaningless.

It's worth the gamble, IMO.
Think you go fishing for one more CB Cousin?.
I will get booed for this one but one CB is a former first rounder that just got cut. Trae Waynes.
"Minnesota selected him in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft and the team was hoping he would develop into their next great cornerback.

Waynes was solid in his tenure with the Vikings. But he was still really never able to live up to the expectations that came with being drafted in the first round".
This kid will be cheap. The Bengals cut him. He took a covid year. That did not help his cause. He signed a three year 42 million dollar contract with the Bengals and he did not perform even after the wasted covid year.
Could be a typical BB reclamation project. Mills was probabaly is the comp. He has the skills of a first rounder and the mind of a camp free agent. He's only 29. 4.31 speed. In his 5 years with the Vikes, 247 tackles, 7 ints and 42 PDs.

DW Toys

Draft one high and now he might not have to immediately start and you still have Starters in Mills, Butler, and Jones. Our safeties our solid so even without JC I expect this Secondary to work. If Butler just can't get it back then you rely on the kid you drafted. Boom done move onto the next position.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back