PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign DE Keionta Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, is Davis going to go straight onto PUP list ?

I would think the bulging disk likely could still be an issue for contact at this point, but have no clue when occurred or how long such an injury takes to heal.

Would certainly be nice to see what he can do before they have to obligate a spot to keep him. But if they can stash him til the usual injury casualties occur, that is good too.

I've been waiting for this! Davis was in a lot of my mock drafts, and I talked about him several times in my pre-draft "If I were GM" type post as a target for the 5th - 7th round territory. He has some coaching connections with the Patriots, so I had a strong hunch that he would end up here, and I really liked his game as a powerful base end. He physically dominates people--or at least he did at his level of competition--and he had some good showings against higher level of competition. I was surprised he went undrafted until I learned about the back injury. I've actually checked on his recovery several times over the last few months to see when he's healthy and ready to play.

Proof: here's a screengrab of my Google history for Keionta Davis. I searched for him again just two weeks ago, to read up on his recovery progress. Super happy about this! Officially a training camp binkie.

Glad your searching paid off. Let the binkie journey begin.. Good luck!
__

As you know i liked Dwayne Thomas so this exchange is bittersweet. But there is a log jam at CB and need at DE so hopefully he's good to go.

Last edited:
So, is Davis going to go straight onto PUP list ?

I would think the bulging disk likely could still be an issue for contact at this point, but have no clue when occurred or how long such an injury takes to heal.

Would certainly be nice to see what he can do before they have to obligate a spot to keep him. But if they can stash him til the usual injury casualties occur, that is good too.

Well, technically it would be NFI, but same difference. I was also thinking about this possibility this morning.

The thing about "bulging disks" is that they're not exclusively caused by external trauma, and there are degrees of severity. Davis had no idea that he had this until the Combine medical staff discovered it. Apparently, he never felt any pain or noticed any reduction in range of motion. That would seem pretty low-grade to me.

I don't engage in activities that could cause head or neck trauma. I don't even listen to/read Boston sports commentators. And yet, I had a bulging disk in my neck several years ago that caused severe pain and range-of-motion restriction, and even difficulty swallowing.

The official medical determination of the cause was, "(shrug) **** Happens."

The prescribed treatment was a muscle relaxant, ibuprofen, rest, alternating warm/cold compresses (surgery was never even an option).

The prognosis was that the pain should recede within a week and full range of-motion should return within a few months. And that's what happened. My six-month x-ray/MRI exam revealed a perfectly normal-looking disk.

"Will it come back?, I asked. Again, "(shrug) **** happens, but it usually doesn't."

So, based on exclusively my personal experience, I'd guess that if Davis never noticed any symptoms and his most recent x-ray/MRI exam is clear, he's probably good-to-go.

Well, technically it would be NFI, but same difference. I was also thinking about this possibility this morning.

The thing about "bulging disks" is that they're not exclusively caused by external trauma, and there are degrees of severity. Davis had no idea that he had this until the Combine medical staff discovered it. Apparently, he never felt any pain or noticed any reduction in range of motion. That would seem pretty low-grade to me.

I don't engage in activities that could cause head or neck trauma. I don't even listen to/read Boston sports commentators. And yet, I had a bulging disk in my neck several years ago that caused severe pain and range-of-motion restriction, and even difficulty swallowing.

The official medical determination of the cause was, "(shrug) **** Happens."

The prescribed treatment was a muscle relaxant, ibuprofen, rest, alternating warm/cold compresses (surgery was never even an option).

The prognosis was that the pain should recede within a week and full range of-motion should return within a few months. And that's what happened. My six-month x-ray/MRI exam revealed a perfectly normal-looking disk.

"Will it come back?, I asked. Again, "(shrug) **** happens, but it usually doesn't."

So, based on exclusively my personal experience, I'd guess that if Davis never noticed any symptoms and his most recent x-ray/MRI exam is clear, he's probably good-to-go.

Good info about when diagnosed and your experience, even if just a singular data pt-helps provide context. Thx

Good info about when diagnosed and your experience, even if just a singular data pt-helps provide context. Thx

I think I forgot to mention that, when the difficulty swallow symptom appeared, I really thought I was gonna die on the way to the ER. That was some scary ****.

I doubt they would sign him just to put him on NFI as he would be useless. They need bodies in that position now and they will want to see what he has.

I will put him through a workout to test his reflexes.

I'd love to know what Ealy is thinking right now.

Things usually don't work great for guys like him after getting cut from N.E. in the situation like the one hes in.

Easily the biggest disappointment so far.

This is lot of space for the 90th man on the roster. If he starts the season on IR or PUP, he will likely not every be a contributor, like the whatever number of rookies before him.

I doubt they would sign him just to put him on NFI as he would be useless. They need bodies in that position now and they will want to see what he has.

I agree that they need DE bodies right now, especially with Wise out for at least a week.

OTOH, it's possible that the Pats/BB got word through the grapevine that another team was thinking of signing him and pulled the trigger even though he hadn't been officially cleared by the league (and I don't know that he has been yet).

They could put him on NFI now, and take him off if he clears in the next couple of days. Or, since NFI is essentially another form of PUP, they could leave him there through week-6. He couldn't practice with the team for that time, but he could train and study.

Some good infos on Keionta here. Will be interesting to monitor if they see him as preseason, season or next season move.. If he's healthy could be connected to Flowers..

The Patriots could elect to place Davis on the non-football injury list since he was not previously with a team, has not practiced and suffered his injury in a non-NFL setting.

“We’ve done quite a bit of work on him,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said Monday. “I worked him out at Chattanooga myself in March. I mean, he’s a good player. I don’t think he’s any secret. We were able to add him to our roster. We’ll just go forward with it and see how it goes.”

Davis recorded 31 career sacks at Chattanooga. The 6-foot-3, 271-pound defensive end ran a 4.72-second 40-yard dash with a 7.64-second 3-cone drill, 4.62-second short shuttle, 37.5-inch vertical, 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump and 30 bench press reps of 225 pounds. His 30 bench press reps are impressive for a player with 34-inch arms.

Read more at: Rookie Pass Rusher Keionta Davis Has Been On Patriots’ Radar For A While

It's Twitter and not a published-edited manuscript: "went undrafted partially due to . . ." is clearly what he meant to say. A 2-position word misplacement in the sentence/post.

Still funny, but not a huge literary crime (especially if you consider twitter an extension of the spoken language, versus written).
4 games and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey