PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should have kept Deion Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seattle's #24 (Merriweather) allowed us to be in a position to trade our pick (#28) to SF for their 4th round pick this year (Moss) and their 1st round pick next year.

So without the Branch to Seattle trade we would either have Moss and SF's #1 next year or just Merriweather (or someone else, it has been reported that Philly would have snagged at #26).

That is how Branch = Merriweather, Moss and SF #1 in 08.

I know what you are saying, but one can't suggest that we needed to trade Branch to be able to have the draft picks to sign Moss. There are any number of trade scenarios by which the Patriots could have traded for Moss without the benefit of Seattle's #24

Last edited:
I know what you are saying, but one can't suggest that we needed to trade Branch to be able to have the draft picks to sign Moss. There are any number of trade scenarios by which the Patriots could have traded for Moss without the benefit of Seattle's #24

I didn't suggest that we needed to trade Branch to be able to sign/trade for Moss. All I am saying is that is how it worked out. I am sure they could have conjured up another pick or picks to get Moss. But the Branch trade ended up giving them a lot of options in this past draft and it just ended up the way it did.

What I really don't agree with is the idiot who wrote this article. How can anyone with any common sense come to the conclusion that having Branch is better than having Moss, Stallworth and Welker? Especially when you factor in the cap hits for both situations.

Branch would have been somewhere around $6.5 mil, for the sake of the argument lets toss in Givens at $5.5 mil, that is $12 mil for two receivers who are honestly a great number 2 and a great number 3 and at best are an average number 1 and an average number 2.

Now for $7.5 mil (could be around 10 mil with incentives) you have without question a true number 1 receiver in Moss. A great number 2 who could prove himself to be a true number 1 receiver - if he can stay healthy in Stallworth and a guy who has the potential to be one of the best slot/number 3 receivers in the league.

The only argument that can be made for Branch and Givens is that they had chemistry with Brady and have proven to be productive in this offense. But that isn't worth $4.5 mil more in cap space for one less player and a lot less talent.

Last edited:
Seattle's #24 (Merriweather) allowed us to be in a position to trade our pick (#28) to SF for their 4th round pick this year (Moss) and their 1st round pick next year.

So without the Branch to Seattle trade we would either have Moss and SF's #1 next year or just Merriweather (or someone else, it has been reported that Philly would have snagged at #26).

That is how Branch = Merriweather, Moss and SF #1 in 08.

That still doesn't work though, if the Pats kept Branch they could have either drafted someone else if not Merriweather as well. You can't just ignore the fact that the Pats still would have had the 28th pick in the first round. While they may not have gotten Merriweather at the #28, they could have gotten another player or done the SF and Moss trades. If you want to extrapolate it out based on the available players at 28 then you should include someone like Joe Staley and then it would be:

Branch
Staley

vs.

Merriweather
Moss
SF #1

But you can't take away the Pats #1 pick when seeing what the Pats would have had if they didn't trade Branch. It obviously put them into a stronger position to move the pick but they still could have traded their only #1 pick to SF if they wanted to. Really it comes down to Branch vs. Merriweather.

We should have kept Branch; really, gee thanks for the enlightening comment.

He was under contract, did not want to honor it, forced the Patriots hand and got his wish. It's not like the contract was up like the Givens situation and the Patriots decided to let Branch walk.

Keeping him once he had it in his head he was unhappy with the contract was not an option; why is that so friggin hard for people to understand.

Guys like him are priceless; they sign a deal and then when they exceed expectations, they don't want to honor the deal. If he was a bust, would he have given all of his money back; what a country.

That still doesn't work though, if the Pats kept Branch they could have either drafted someone else if not Merriweather as well. You can't just ignore the fact that the Pats still would have had the 28th pick in the first round. While they may not have gotten Merriweather at the #28, they could have gotten another player or done the SF and Moss trades.

That is exactly what I wrote. My whole point was they either would have SF's #1 pick and Moss or they would have whoever they picked up at #28 and Moss as Joe pointed out that Moss could have been traded for a different pick(s). Either way they wouldn't have a #1 pick this year (Merriweather), SF's 08 1st rounder and Moss - without trading Branch to Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes