PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots select DB Marcus Jones at 85

This is interesting. I hadn’t seen anything being float around by anyone else about having him play safety at some point.. This DB group is full of diversity, whether that translates to the field with mixed coverages and all that, I don’t know. Hope it does. If Butler makes the team, he’s got one side locked down I’m guessing. Hobbs will start at the other outside spot, maybe even split time depending on matchup with Jon Jones. McCourty and Dug will hold down the other safety spots. Then you work in the young guys where you can I guess. The defensive backfield got a lot more athletic, and a helluva lot smaller. Not exactly ideal, but it is what it is. A great way to cover any of the deficiencies would be generating a better pass rush without sending the blitz. That’s more of a concern to me.

Hobbs??? Do you mean MILLS?? Who was lights out between his two injuries...

Jones isn’t all that much smaller than Ellis Hobbs. Hobbs was never a great CB, but he was a serviceable starter for a couple of seasons. From what I can tell, Jones is a much better athlete than Hobbs.
Hobbs was 5'9 - 192 lbs. Jones is 5'8 -174 lbs. However Jones does not have ANY Pro-Day/Combine numbers because of the surgeries to both shoulders that he is recovering from. He DID have a medical re-check just prior to the draft.

I think that you're right in that he's probably a better athlete than Hobbs. Which is saying a lot considering how good of a kick return man Hobbs was.

There's a Hobbs that will start at corner this season? No kidding...man am I out of touch...
Holy ****. :rofl: That is 100% your fault!! Mills… I meant Mills lol.

This is a worry for me as well. Dudes are gonna be bigger and faster in the league. Not to mention because of his height, he’s probably going to be jumping and diving a lot more. From everything I’ve read and seen, he plays like a dog.
Tyrann Mathieu, doesn’t play like a dog but like a badger, dropped to 3rd round because of same reasons you mentioned. And he plays a more physical style/position than M Jones will be asked to play. But yeah it’s still a concern. I just think it’s too soon to say Im worried.

Okay, that's hilarious. The starting CBs for the 2009 Rutgers team were Devin McCourty and David Rowe, who was Jones' DB coach at Houston.

Okay, that's hilarious. The starting CBs for the 2009 Rutgers team were Devin McCourty and David Rowe, who was Jones' DB coach at Houston.
That’s some good journalism by Lazar.

I knew Jones won the Paul Hornung Award last year. What I didn't realise was the type of company that put him in. Previous 8 winners: DeVonta Smith, Lynn Bowden, Rondale Moore, Saquon Barkley, Jabrill Peppers, Christian McCaffrey, Shaq Thompson, Odell Beckham.

Who are the best 5'8 CBs of the last 10-12 years? Is someone like Robey-Coleman a good comp?

I'm just wondering about his size at DB. What do you think of his potential as a true slot receiver? Or is he best suited as a defender?
Looking at this thread and missed this. I think it'll take some time before he really finds himself at WR. We've been using him in motion a little to get free releases, quick outs/screens. I think it'll take a little time for that to really happen. With some luck a good year or two. It's an uphill battle to become a true WR but he obviously has the athleticism to make an impact.

Couple things he really has going for him though ... A) he's got great route recognition (which matters for a few reasons - efficient with his steps, familiar with certain parts of field, good feel for space) and B) overall awareness, especially in the MOF is on point bc of the above plus his return experience is clutch. Navigating through bodies, feeling out - finding space. Really good vision. So he's got some natural traits.

I'd say Jones has been our ROY, than Jones.

Last edited:
Versatile DB with return skills and ball skills.

Love is movements. I'm always big on movements and he stands out. Quick twitch, instant acceleration and suddenness. Fluid and smooth change of direction.

Has returned kicks and played some offense. Played slot, outside, box. Outstanding vision in the open field.

His route recognition, anticipation is plus on deep stuff. He runs the route for the WR but again his instincts and anticipation are plus. In-breaking stuff is pretty good but nuanced route runners can give him trouble with intermediate routes.

At times takes uses the sideline as an extra defender.

Back pedal is low, tight to the ground and quick. Body stays compact, balanced.

Most sports are played in a 20 yard box. He's got plus short area movements and speed. Very quick and fast.

No fear run defender that comes up with bad intentions. He makes it a point and wants to set a tone. Efficient steps and wraps up.

Love his potential in zone. Much better with his eyes forward. His athleticism and speed take over. Quick processor when he can see it.

Had a 3rd on him but thought we'd wait a round later bc of his size. On the board as a 4th. Proper value. 2/3 so far.
Not bad.

This secondary might be pretty good if Dugger keeps progressing and the Jones bros keep up their play.

At the time I heard someone say it was our best pick of the draft. Right now I'd say it is to this point.

At the time I heard someone say it was our best pick of the draft. Right now I'd say it is to this point.
There were a few of us. I know @DaBruinz liked him and a few others.

I'd say it's Marcus, Jack by a good margin. Small gap, Zappe, Strange. Small gap, Thornton.

Strong has looked good in limited snaps. We need that speed.

There were a few of us. I know @DaBruinz liked him and a few others.

I'd say it's Marcus, Jack by a good margin. Small gap, Zappe, Strange. Small gap, Thornton.

Strong has looked good in limited snaps. We need that speed.

Strong could challenge him for that best pick label someday. He has the elusiveness and breakaway speed.

Good freaking draft from the early looks, we’ll see if that keeps up. It would be At least one good takeaway from this season plus the emergence of uche and onwenu

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back