PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release All-Dynasty team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots have unveiled their all-dynasty team.

A few minor surprises or at least close calls:

• Graham over Watson
  • Phifer over Mayo is the biggest surprise to me; I don't understand that one
  • Vinatieri over Gostkowski (I think that one is close anyway, especially with longevity as a factor)
  • One-year guys left off. Revis (first team all-pro), Patterson (who was certainly a better KR than Hobbs or Johnson)

I would have rather had them make a 53 man roster that reasonably fits together the normal depth chart. Example: Edelman uses two spots here as a wide receiver and punt returner while Branch and Amendola miss out entirely. There is more depth at some positions (offensive guard, center, defensive line, linebacker) and guys deserving to make it who are snubbed, but then you have Ellis Hobbs and Bethel Johnson on the team, both of whom shouldn't even be mentioned.

2 slots allocated for kickoff returner and 2 slots allocated for long snappers, yet only 3 slots for all of the great defensive linemen over the last 20 years. Come on...

Last edited:
I chuckled a little at the thought of the terms "dynasty team" and "Bethel & Hobbs" being linked together... I'm sure patsans posters old & new could imagine great teams w/o either.

I would choose peak play as the deciding factor in a few of the close calls.

Dion Lewis > James White (Lewis is the superior dual threat but his tenure was shorter and White produced at key moments so I can understand the pick even if I disagree with it)

Jerod Mayo > Roman Phifer (did they hold it against Mayo for no rings?)

Lawyer Milloy > Patrick Chung

Cordarelle Patterson should have been the KR as well.

Obviously the murderer would be there if he wasn't a murderer.

I would choose peak play as the deciding factor in a few of the close calls.

Dion Lewis > James White (Lewis is the superior dual threat but his tenure was shorter and White produced at key moments so I can understand the pick even if I disagree with it)

Jerod Mayo > Roman Phifer (did they hold it against Mayo for no rings?)

Lawyer Milloy > Patrick Chung

Cordarelle Patterson should have been the KR as well.

Obviously the murderer would be there if he wasn't a murderer.
The tenure for Lewis is the deal breaker for me

Missing two honorable mentions:

Bryan Cox - just for the hit on Pathon that set the tone for the rest of 2001

Mo Lewis - just for the hit that catapulted TB12 into the starting tole

I forgot about Brian Waters at guard as well as a contender for the third guard spot. Like Revis vs Asante Samuel.

I chuckled a little at the thought of the terms "dynasty team" and "Bethel & Hobbs" being linked together... I'm sure patsans posters old & new could imagine great teams w/o either.

100% agree.

But, boy, they both had some pretty cool returns.

Love this. Makes me smile, a lot.

Don't understand the doubling up at kickoff returner, special teamer, and long snapper.

Patriots have unveiled their all-dynasty team.

A few minor surprises or at least close calls:

• Graham over Watson
  • Phifer over Mayo is the biggest surprise to me; I don't understand that one
  • Vinatieri over Gostkowski (I think that one is close anyway, especially with longevity as a factor)
  • One-year guys left off. Revis (first team all-pro), Patterson (who was certainly a better KR than Hobbs or Johnson)

I would have rather had them make a 53 man roster that reasonably fits together the normal depth chart. Example: Edelman uses two spots here as a wide receiver and punt returner while Branch and Amendola miss out entirely. There is more depth at some positions (offensive guard, center, defensive line, linebacker) and guys deserving to make it who are snubbed, but then you have Ellis Hobbs and Bethel Johnson on the team, both of whom shouldn't even be mentioned.

2 slots allocated for kickoff returner and 2 slots allocated for long snappers, yet only 3 slots for all of the great defensive linemen over the last 20 years. Come on...

100% agree with the Dynasty roster

Graham absolutely over Watson. Graham was a lynchpin on the LOS and a solid contributor in the passing attack. Watson's game never matched his athleticism.
Mayo was a very productive tackler but never a difference maker. Phifer flashed and was an amazing all-around LB during his brief time in NE.
Adam checks all my boxes and has ownership of the franchise's 3 most important kicks in history.
The New England Revis was unique....teams wouldn't throw in his direction so he didn't have impressive stats. Should he receive elevated credit for reputation, not actual play? I have no problem dropping 1 year Revis.
Unlike mercenary Revis, semi-mercenary Corey Dillon actually delivered big numbers.
Wish they slotted a 5th WR so Branch could get some love. The three mini slot WRs definitely deserve this recognition based on their sheer volume of receptions and the fact that each was/is the foundation of NE's passing game. No explanation required for Mr. Cash Money.

I am surprised Mount Washington was left of the Honorable Mention list

I liked Roman Phifer

The thing is, there was plenty of room to fit guys who were snubbed.

Reduce the Long Snapper to one slot. Remove Kickoff Returners, Special Teamers, and Punt Returner since they aren't actual positions. That gives you six more slots.

Removed Slater, Izzo, Cardona, Johnnson, Hobbs, and duplicate Edelman (as a punt returner - he stays on at WR even though he would be the punt returner...taking two slots makes no sense.)

Wide Receiver (+2)
Add Matthew Slater back because he is a WR technically and should be on the team for his special teams excellence and you have your ST ace.

Add Deion Branch or Danny Amendola, depending on which one you like more. I see them as pretty equal. If you really wanted this to be like a real team, you could consider adding Cordarelle Patterson instead since he adds the kick return excellence, though I wouldn't.

Inside Linebacker (+1)
Add Jerod Mayo, the list's most surprising snub

Safety (+1)
Add Lawyer Milloy

Last Slots (+2)

My opinion here might not be well received, but I would have both Vinatieri and Stephen Gostowski on the team, since both had historic success, and this is about an honor and isn't an actual team...I just think is a clear rule-breaking situation even if it looks weird.

But my opinion aside, you could also pick a lot of other guys here: Antowain Smith, Dion Lewis, Marcus Cannon, Stephen Neal, David Andrews, Ben Watson, Shaq Mason, Kyle Van Noy, Chandler Jones, Trey Flowers. There are also the one-year guys who you might think belong because they made a big impact in a short time: Darrelle Revis, Ted Washington, Bryan Cox.

I don't think any of the players listed as final two slot candidates are clear and obvious must-haves on the team but they also won't make you go "what!?" like Hobbs, Johnson, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye