PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Practice Squad and IR Moves Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pars have 51 on roster plus 2 from practice squad total 53 thus only need to deactivate 5

When Jeff Howe announced Gunner had had a "setback," I knew this was coming. At least it sounds like he'll be back in the near future.
He went to IR so he's gone for at least the first three games. Not sure what "near future" means in this context.

Call it a loophole if you want, but it has been a common practice over the years for teams to wait and sign vested veterans after game one for just this reason. Now, with the ability to promote two players per game from the practice squad, both players will be able to play in the game and receive their full veteran minimum weekly pay. As #luuked pointed out earlier, Folk and Williams both freely signed a practice squad contract knowing this was a possibility if not a certainty.
The difference is the two vets will be active for game 1 and will get their vet pay for that one game but will not be guaranteed a year's pay like they would have in the past. Sure, it's a deal they're willing to make, but it's a step back for them.

If we're being honest, if it was any other year, Folk would most likely be on the full roster and would be getting a year's guaranteed pay because BB needs a kicker and Rohrwasser isn't ready to be a NFL kicker just yet. Now he has both kickers under a degree of control since any team signing them off practice squad needs to be willing to put them on their 53 man squad and yet he can cut either guy any time without paying them long term.

Feckin Thanksdad again, Bill? Seriously? You should've re-signed Corey Levin, who is Infinity times better than that feckin weak-ass lightweight stiff...Feckin disgraceful...But I should not have been surprised; this is the same dude who has not just one but two of his kids on the staff...

You should've re-signed Corey Levin, who is Infinity times better than that feckin weak-ass lightweight stiff...

I would think that Froholdt was chosen over Levin purely based on his ability to back up the center position. Froholdt has played center in college. Levin has no experience there and yet he is listed as the back-up center on the "official" depth chart. Maybe Andrews is having trouble getting back up to speed or maybe he faded during the game last week so there may be some concern? We won't be told.

Feckin Thanksdad again, Bill? Seriously? You should've re-signed Corey Levin, who is Infinity times better than that feckin weak-ass lightweight stiff...Feckin disgraceful...But I should not have been surprised; this is the same dude who has not just one but two of his kids on the staff...
Do you think Stephen is a good coach?

Tall, rangy, rugged good looks, WHITE qb....the maniac Pats hating press will make this a cold war spy novel by the end of the year. I can hear ColostomyBag Felger now..."Cam infuriated that the Pats get a bigger guy..team imploding!"

I would think that Froholdt was chosen over Levin purely based on his ability to back up the center position. Froholdt has played center in college. Levin has no experience there and yet he is listed as the back-up center on the "official" depth chart. Maybe Andrews is having trouble getting back up to speed or maybe he faded during the game last week so there may be some concern? We won't be told.
Can’t really read anything about starters into a practice squad move.

Do you think Stephen is a good coach?

Do you think Ferentz is worthy of a practice squad spot? I know we're talking about the least consequential part of a roster but there's absolutely no redeeming qualities to this particular player. He's one of the worst offensive linemen I've ever seen play in the NFL and is 31 years old. If his dad weren't a highly visible college coach, I guarantee he wouldn't have made it more than 2-3 years into his career. Even if he provides some kind of intangible "wisdom" as a member of the scout team (which is itself a questionable premise), why not just bring him in to help the coaching staff? He's not an NFL player and he's occupying a spot that should belong to one.

Do you think Ferentz is worthy of a practice squad spot? I know we're talking about the least consequential part of a roster but there's absolutely no redeeming qualities to this particular player. He's one of the worst offensive linemen I've ever seen play in the NFL and is 31 years old. If his dad weren't a highly visible college coach, I guarantee he wouldn't have made it more than 2-3 years into his career. Even if he provides some kind of intangible "wisdom" as a member of the scout team (which is itself a questionable premise), why not just bring him in to help the coaching staff? He's not an NFL player and he's occupying a spot that should belong to one.

I swear that Bill makes these wacko moves to relieve the everyday boredom of GMing so he can enjoy folks like our Captain's predictable reaction!

Last edited:
I don't think I'm a good enough scout to tell you wether or not he is better and more prepared than some young kid we would usually have on the P.S. I think it would be hard to expect veteran linemen who are actually somewhat talented to be available for the P.S.

I assume the decision probably comes down to some kid who might have future upside and someone who Bill feels he can actually use in an emergency. Maybe he uses the extra P.S. spots for vets differently in the future this year he chose a linemen who's been around our team for years.

If you want to assume the only reason is nepotism than that's your choice.

Even if he provides some kind of intangible "wisdom" as a member of the scout team (which is itself a questionable premise), why not just bring him in to help the coaching staff? He's not an NFL player and he's occupying a spot that should belong to one.

I have seen this argument with Hoyer and I don't get it. Do you seriously think that a coach can just put on some pads and participate in practices as part of the scout team ? You are essentially suggesting circumventing the salary cap and the roster size limit. Guess how many picks would be taken by the league for that ?

Bottomline is that they clearly like Ferentz as a scout team member because he can follow instructions very well and does exactly what they want. What exactly is the issue with having that kind of player at a rate of 12K a week ?

And I couldn't disagree more with the assessment that he is occupying some spot. Not everyone on the PS is supposed to be some developmental prospect and that's fine. Some are just there to do their job getting the starters prepared for various looks the next opponent will give them. You don't need to be able to run things at NFL speed to do that, but at the same time you have to understand what you are asked to do when one of your coaches pulls out a card with a specific play the scout team is supposed to simulate.

Time is of the essence when it comes to practice and if the son of a coach is someone who does this well and those sessions run smooth then so be it.

Do you think Ferentz is worthy of a practice squad spot?.

This concept is truly amazing. Belichick thinks that Ferentz is useful as the 12 PS member. I'm fine with that. Having said this, I suspect he has a better chance (and a small one) of being an active backup at center. As far as practice, I have no issue with him practicing at center, rather than making Froholdt take all the reps. On the second team, I would prefer Froholdt practice as guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes