PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots practice 8/22/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
Great news about Gesicki, Strong and MonTy. In time to be considered good for week 1.

Real unsettling news that Strange, J Jones, McDermott and TT are still out today - in order of importance.

Most concerning is Onwenu not getting off PUP yet.

With MonTy back, it seems that they won't be able to carry everyone on the first 53. So, that means the old Fox-Flu for TT.

Can you put Thornton on IR so he can't play till week eight and have room on the 53 for Boutte? Or does Thornton have to be on the 53 BEFORE he goes on IR.

BTW- One thing to remember is that in EVERY NFL camp there is a guy just like Boutte (low draft pick or UDFA) who is "opening eyes" and just about EVERY team is worried that someone will take that kid on cut down day. So just because Boutte is suddenly playing well, it doesn't mean someone else will grab him. Remember every other team in the league is grappling over how to fit all the players they WANT into the roster they are required to have.

Last edited:

Strange, Jo. Jones, Onwenu…that’s a problem. As long as they are back 1-2 weeks before the Eagles it might be ok.

McDermott, Anderson however IMO need the snaps. I’m worried about Anderson’s health…it has to be a serious illness I think…hope he’s ok. Flowers can take his time.

Real unsettling news that Strange, J Jones, McDermott and TT are still out today - in order of importance.

Most concerning is Onwenu not getting off PUP yet.
The Strange injury is REALLY curious. When it occurred it seemed like nothing. A day or two at most. He didn't even go into the training room after it happened. Now it's over 3 weeks and he's still a no show. It's more than unsettling, J.

Now wasn't it reported a week or so ago that Strange was seen on the practise field doing some work? It could just be a figment of my imagination or just wishful thinking, but I thought it was written and it was why I was so expectant to see him this week.

Can you put Thornton on IR so he can't play till week eight and have room on the 53 for Boutte? Or does Thornton have to be on the 53 BEFORE he goes on IR.

BTW- One thing to remember is that in EVERY NFL camp there is a guy just like Boutte (low draft pick or UDFA who is "opening eyes" and just about EVERY team is worried that someone will take that kid on cut down day. So just because Boutte is suddenly playing well, it doesn't mean someone else will grab him. Remember every other team in the league is grappling over how to fit all the players they WANT into the roster they are required to have.
But Boutte is a former surefire 1st rounder prospect who is flashing his 1st round potential now and is a wide receiver . And his stock has been just on upswing . He will not cross waivers .

BTW- One thing to remember is that in EVERY NFL camp there is a guy just like Boutte (low draft pick or UDFA) who is "opening eyes" and just about EVERY team is worried that someone will take that kid on cut down day. So just because Boutte is suddenly playing well, it doesn't mean someone else will grab him. Remember every other team in the league is grappling over how to fit all the players they WANT into the roster they are required to have.
He has to be on the 53 and then go on IR the next day to be eligible to return. If he’s on IR before cutdowns, he’s out all year

He has to be on the 53 and then go on IR the next day to be eligible to return. If he’s on IR before cutdowns, he’s out all year
Going to have to be some wink and nod cuts.
I swear if we lose Boutte to keep a Jag at OL that you couldn’t pay a team to take.
Cutdown maybe more stressful than the draft.

Going to have to be some wink and nod cuts.
I swear if we lose Boutte to keep a Jag at OL that you couldn’t pay a team to take.
Cutdown maybe more stressful than the draft.

I will have a problem for sure. I’ll have to step away for a few days.

It is stressful, but in all the years I can only remember less than a handful of young players we lost.

The linebacker from Philly a while ago was the best, and there were a few CBs (Roberts to the Jets), but really most found their way back to the practice squad.

Oh yeah the WR who had a wild training camp and is still somewhere, but never played a game it seemed.

It is stressful, but in all the years I can only remember less than a handful of young players we lost.

The linebacker from Philly a while ago was the best, and there were a few CBs (Roberts to the Jets), but really most found their way back to the practice squad.

Oh yeah the WR who had a wild training camp and is still somewhere, but never played a game it seemed.
Darius Butler, Roberts I had high hopes for, the DB the who became an all pro with the Colts but said he was miserable here.
Braxton Berrios, Jacob Hollister cut after Brady raved about him in fact.
Not retaining Danny Woodhead, letting Dominique Easley was better with the Rams than here.
I think the worst loss from a talent perspective was the DB who went to the Colts.
We also had a DB leave here and get in Pitts starting rotation I believe.
Boutte could end of being the biggest loss if we make that mistake.

Darius Butler, Roberts I had high hopes for, the DB the who became an all pro with the Colts but said he was miserable here.
Not retaining Danny Woodhead, letting Dominique Easley was better with the Rams than here.
I think the worst loss from a talent perspective was the DB who went to the Colts.

Hadn't all those guys except Roberts and Berrios been around a little while? Even they were second year players.

There was a CB who went to the Bears and Kamu Grugier-Hill.

They matched Woodhead's offer from the Chargers but he said "God" told him to go to the Chargers.

How about a simple slant to Boutte? I’d think anything that gets him the ball in open space could be dangerous.

Boutee has really good flexibility in his hips that allows him to run those slants in a clean way that doesn’t really require cutting. He does it very deceptively and at speed. That’s how he creates space without giving any hints to DB’s.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back