PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots opponent you respect the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean10mm

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Random preseason topic: Looking back, what Patriots opponent do you respect the most?

For a single game I'm going to say the 2017 Eagles. Looking back on it, what stands out about that team compared to other Patriots opponents is how the Eagles approached the game - they just went absolutely balls-out and threw everything at us. They were in maximum attack mode from start to finish. Losing that game sucked, but the Eagles did everything to earn the win - it didn't have the garbage fluke quality of the losses to the Giants. Doug Pederson might end up being a one hit wonder as a head coach, but that one hit was legit.

It was also just a really good team that year, which seems weirdly overlooked. 13-3 record, #1 in SRS, #3 in points scored, #4 in points allowed. "Super Bowl Quarterback Nick Foles" seemed like a weird thing to say at the time, but you can't fault how he played on that run AT ALL: 3 games, 6 TD passing, 1 TD receiving, 1 INT, no game with a passer rating below 100.

Honorable mention to the 2014 Seahawks, who were scary as hell and had just humiliated Peyton Manning's record-setting Broncos the year before. I loved hating that team more than any other Patriots Super Bowl opponent. Lost a ton of respect for them in the last 1:06 of that one though.

Non-Super Bowl opponent might be the 2018 Chiefs. That team just scared the hell out of me with Mahomes, because you could do everything right and he could still throw a touchdown simply because he was a human cheat code. The Ravens had a run from like 2009-2014 where they went back and for with us in the playoffs, but psychologically it just wasn't the same as watching Mahomes decide he was going to alter reality to suit himself, and both the regular season game and the AFCCG were utterly absurd games.

I respect every team the pats play....other than the jetes, because on any game day, **** can happen, and players have to respect that things can go wrong through no fault of their own.

I've always respected the Ravens a great deal even though their coach is a whiner and I still don't think the field goal was good in 2012 week 3.

I gotta say the '07 Giants too...sure Eli was fluky lucky....but that D-line wasn't.

2012-13 Ravens during their run to the 2013 SB. They beat the Pats everywhere, humiliating them on both sides of the LOS in the AFCCG.

2012-13 Ravens during their run to the 2013 SB. They beat the Pats everywhere, humiliating them on both sides of the LOS in the AFCCG.

I'd extend to 2011-2014 as they were damn close to beating us at Foxboro in playoffs those years as well.

I respect the Eagles a year ago. The minority of people have believed Foles would be able to handle the pressure,replace Wentz and get the trophy. All in all I like Foles,he seems to be a classy player and the Jags will have a real leader.

what Patriots opponent do you respect the most?
RESPECT?!
CxAR.gif

...the ones who stood up for us in CameraLocationGate and DefameGate

I like the Chiefs. They should be slated as the new rival, given the two big games last year, the way they are beating everyone, and the two whoopings they gave the Pats in recent seasons (2017 opener and "we're on to Cincinnati" game). Plus there was another playoff game in there. Especially now with Peyton in his grave.

Seahawks are neat. They seem to be a pain-in-the-ass to play every time.

I wouldn't have minded being a Saints fan if I grew up in LA and my dad was too.

I liked the 2000's decade version of The Steelers, not sure if they seem all that great now.

Sorta hope that the Texans will finally put it together but it never seems to quite get there.

Next season: Chiefs
Super Bowls: Seattle

Eff the Gints.

Saints. That's it. Chiefs and Seattle I can tolerate in very small doses.

Any team run by Coach Coughlin.

The Giants team that beat us those two years. Great game plans executed to perfection, they played their hearts out and I can respect that, even though those losses still sting to this day.

Fear none, respect all. Except the jeten Jete 'cause jete them they jeten jete and maybe the Stealers cause Tomlin should be a jeten Jete he jetes so jeten bad so yeah jete them too. And probably not the dollyphins since their candy azz owner & Fraudger make sure that group of ladyfish never makes the trek to Foxborough in December anymore. While we're at it probably have to add in the Billdos, cause their fans actually carry around Billdos. Come to think of it the list of inadequate opponents is fairly long...DAMN IT"S GOOD TO BE A PATS FAN!!!

South Beach...every year.

Don't respect anybody less successful than me ;)

I respect Strahan and that front in 07 Still feel slighted by the non call on Ohara which lead to a fluke play. Stings because of that and some of the missed opportunities not capitalized on Pats end.

2nd Giants game grudgingly respect that Manningham throw. It was perfect. Very little respect for that Brady Welker play though. Definitely brings the term “a game of inches” into retrospect.

Philly’s game plan was great, Pats put up a lot of points and they played aggressive throughout. Cane down to who blinked with the turnover and it was a rare thing to see the Pats falter like that. Loss barely stung. It was a well played game except for the illegal td. Didn’t like that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back