PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots OG Dan Connolly Sets NFL Record With 71-Yard Return (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dan Connolly named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week

He turned this game around. We were down by 10 and GB was getting the ball at halftime. And the offense was struggling they barely got it in from a few yards out.

I thought Connolly was going to score there for a bit. On the Arrington interception, I really like the spin move at the 15 yrd. line.

I keep thinking how cool it would have been if he had been able to score. It was GREAT to watch anyway, and a GREAT play for him and the team. It really did start to swing momentum back towards New England.

Good for him!

How many tacklers did Connolly actually elude on that return?

Toward the end of his return, Connolly beat three tacklers -- one with a stiff-arm, then two more with a cutback. But what happened up until he first bounced to the left? I assume there were a couple early on, but I've never puzzled out the details.

Data point: One Packer was quoted self-criticizing, saying he went for the strip when he should have gotten Connolly down.

Last edited:
Re: How many tacklers did Connolly actually elude on that return?

Toward the end of his return, Connolly beat three tacklers -- one with a stiff-arm, then two more with a cutback. But what happened up until he first bounced to the left? I assume there were a couple early on, but I've never puzzled out the details.

Data point: One Packer was quoted self-criticizing, saying he went for the strip when he should have gotten Connolly down.

It was one of the weirdest returns I've ever seen. Somehow, the Patriots and Packers 'collided' to form almost a straight line guiding Connolly to the left, and as Cris Collinsworth pointed out, nobody touched him until after he had reached the open field.

In my opinion, what actually happened was that Connolly was basically running into the pile with both arms wrapped around the ball, such that none of the Green Bay players could see he had it. He didn't look like he was running with the football, nor did he look like a kick returner, so they got confused and assumed someone else had it. Once he got there and realized nobody had tried to tackle him and there was daylight to the outside, he took off. The surprise was the key to the whole play.

This is another interesting aspect of this year's Patriots. I think a similar dynamic is at play with Danny Woodhead. He's so small and low, that he gets lost in the mix of behemoths flying around at high speed. By the time he's located, it's too late because of his speed and quickness and so guys miss.

YouTube - Dan Connolly Run Back makes it so clear my original post was a stupid question. He indeed wasn't touched until the stiff-arm.

Videos I found the first couple days after the game weren't nearly as clear.

Last edited:

YouTube - Dan Connolly Run Back makes it so clear my original post was a stupid question. He indeed wasn't touched until the stiff-arm.

Videos I found the first couple days after the game weren't nearly as clear.

It's like I always tell my son, "There are no stupid question, just stupid answers. You idiot!" Just kidding.;)

It does remind me though of something I was going to post at the time.

What if this is a viable strategy for dealing with those bloop kickoffs if people are indeed trying to kick away from Tate (although I don't know why they would, he hasn't had a big one for some time that I can recall)?

When there is a bloop kickoff, there is inevitably two or three players around the ball. Why not have the three guys quickly converge on the one who catches it and turn around, then immediately break off running like Connolly did. One goes right, one left, and one up the middle. The coverage team would be VERY confused and we could end up with a guy running free or with more blockers than tacklers. At worst, they'd guess right and the guy gets creamed and you still have good field position. Is this a crazy idea?

The stiff arm to #26 was the first contact with any defender, and the tackle was the 2nd (and last). Just amazing how the seas parted there.

He definitely eluded more than Marshawn Lynch on that run last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back