PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots offseason discussion: coaching

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I think it's a lock the Pats will be looking somewhere else for a ST coach. I think Mayo will be moving on too so there's a couple of changes on deck. Not sure about anything else. I think Flores is a pipe dream we're not going to talk him out of not taking a HC role on another team unless Bill unexpectedly retires this winter.

Kingsbury went from COTY candidate to eliminated and probably on the hot seat. Would much rather have KK than Josh as the heir to Bill. If he is fired by the Cardinals I wonder if there's a place for him on the staff in 2022 in the meantime...

Is there someone who's got proven chops as a DC but is available because he couldn't hack it as a HC? Like a Dan Quinn type.

Something like that would be my ideal scenario, but I'm aware there's zero chance they bring someone from outside to be DC.

So many examples of poor coaching:
- OLine getting Mac killed for 6 weeks (and a 2-4 start) with Durant/Herron at RT was idiotic.
- Zero clue or even attempt at getting Jonnu Smith involved. OC thinks Jonnu is Dwayne Allen or a 6th OLine blocker. 0 targets, 1 target, 0 targets the last 3 games.
- Defense kept overplaying crappy players in Godchaux, Bentley, and SloJuan. Although I will say the defense carried this team all year, basically the Defense was the reason they won any games this season. The smoke and mirrors couldn't last due to fundamental flaws in crappy players who must be replaced.
- Special teams punt blocks.
- A lot of dumb penalties and things uncharacteristic of a BB team.

This team had more talent than prior Patriot teams that won it all. It starts with the fact BB's current staff is mediocre and must be fixed starting with the stale and predictable Offensive Coordinator Josh McDaniels.

If McDaniels goes to the raiders, outside of fears, most our remaining coaches are relative youngsters.

ps: I think the defensive line coach went to John Carroll high school in Birmingham alabama. Does that make him part of the John Carroll mafia?

I'd welcome Bill O'Brien back as OC with open arms. Same goes for Joe Judge with the special teams.

If McDaniels goes to the raiders, outside of fears, most our remaining coaches are relative youngsters.

ps: I think the defensive line coach went to John Carroll high school in Birmingham alabama. Does that make him part of the John Carroll mafia?
Lombardi has a very similar background to what OBrien did when he took over running the offense without the OC title.
Im not sure why people feel Mayo is leaving. He has progressed in just 3 years as a coach to being a HC candidate. Being here is good for him.

Lombardi has a very similar background to what OBrien did when he took over running the offense without the OC title.
Im not sure why people feel Mayo is leaving. He has progressed in just 3 years as a coach to being a HC candidate. Being here is good for him.
I am also impressed with Mayo. Sounds like the players have tremendous respect for him as well.

At some point bb has to figure out the team might be better off with one dc and instead of two,

I am also impressed with Mayo. Sounds like the players have tremendous respect for him as well.

At some point bb has to figure out the team might be better off with one dc and instead of two,
I would assume he is better qualified to make than decision than you.

maybe you should rewatch the Buffalo playoff game. Pay close attention to the buffalo punter, you might double your existing football knowledge that way!
Being able to ***** about stuff doesn’t equal football knowledge.
Are you responding that you DO think you are better qualified to make that decision than Belichick?
Perhaps you should take a look at the 30 NFL defenses who performed worse than the patriots this year to begin building your football knowledge.

I would welcome BOB back as OC, Judge (if he is willing) back for ST, Faulk for RBs and Mayo as DC.

I just hope that the new RBs coach job doesn't go to another ****ing Slappy... or Amanda...

Flores back as DC - maybe if no HC offer this year
Judge back as STs - less likely because it's perceived as more of a step down
Cole Popovich back as OL assuming he's had Covid now that the NFL & CDC have embraced a century of immunological science
BOB as OC - was positive on this until reading Ivan's et. al. posts about BOB the man
Anything other than BB's lacrosse daughter or worse yet, DKF as OC will probably fly with me

Cole Popovich back as OL assuming he's had Covid now that the NFL & CDC have embraced a century of immunological science
BOB as OC - was positive on this until reading Ivan's et. al. posts about BOB the man
Anything other than BB's lacrosse daughter or worse yet, DKF as OC will probably fly with me
Cole had his pic on the team website all year and now it's gone. I bet hes going to LV.

Love your coaching projections.

I prefer in this order...

GM - Wolf
OC - O'Shea, Weis, O'Brian, Lombardi
DC - Mayo, Flores, Fat Matt, Steven B.
RB - Faulk, Sunseri
ST - Judge, Achord

Cole had his pic on the team website all year and now it's gone. I bet hes going to LV.

Love your coaching projections.
How could I have forgotten about Faulk as RB coach? Senior moment again.

I assume Flores isn’t coming back as DC now…

Plus Troy Brown as WRs coach & Kevin Faulk as RBs coach... Don't know why some people are pimping Cousin Vinnie as a potential RBs coach when he played Safety in college & the NFL...

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back