PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots hire former Vikings DL coach Brendan Daly as Defensive Assistant Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumor: Pats have hired Brendan Daly - was DL coach for Vikings and Rams

I hope this is a sign that the Pats will put a lot of emphasis on the DL in the offseason.

What I'd like to see:

1. Cut Wilfork and sign Linval Joseph. As much as VW has been great for us, I can't see him coming back from his injury next year, and if that's the case he would be a huge albatross if the team kept him.
2. Draft a quality DE to work in a rotation with Jones and Ninkovich. Trent Murphy is my favorite. Aaron Lynch has upside physical tools and upside, but questions. I think a UFA DE (Michael Johnson, Greg Hardy) will be too expensive.
3. Draft some athletic playmakers like Marcus Smith and/or Christian Jones who can play in space in the LB position, but also pass rush. Especially if we 1 gap more, I want attackers from the second level. Depending on who we got, Dont'a Hightower might be used on the line more, as well as at MLB. Either would be a more effective us of him than playing him at WLB like we did this year.
4. Ideally, a playmaking DT like Timmy Jernigan or Ra'Shede Hageman.

Mayo - Why do you believe it is far-fetched for Wilfork to come back? People have said he was "over-weight" but I didn't see that when I saw him on the sidelines. I saw the NORMAL VW there. And, it should be noted that Brent Grimes came back and was damn near stellar after his Achilles injury. And he was someone teams shied away from and that allowed the Phins to get him for a steal.

I could easily see VW being given an extension with a huge reduction in Salary and a signing bonus or guaranteed money to off-set the change.

Is Linval Joseph really a 0/1-Tech Guy? Or is he more of a 3-Tech?

Why do you discount the potential of Michael Buchanan becoming a potential guy opposite Chandler Jones? Are Murphy or Lynch really an upgrade over a guy who has been in the system for a year with NFL game experience?

The Pats played a 4-3 Under system with a 4-2 Under Nickel package, primarily. In that, you have a 0, 3 tech for your DTs and your DEs play either 5 or 7 tech.

I agree that the Pats need someone to replace VW in the long run. I'd love someone who could play either the NT or DT position. The question is whether or not they can get that type of player. I also agree that they need someone who can be more of a coverage guy so that they can pull Mayo and Hightower off the field on passing downs.

I think that DT/NT is the primary need (be it the draft or FA). That is followed by CB, OC, OG, DE, LB.

Mayo - Why do you believe it is far-fetched for Wilfork to come back? People have said he was "over-weight" but I didn't see that when I saw him on the sidelines. I saw the NORMAL VW there. And, it should be noted that Brent Grimes came back and was damn near stellar after his Achilles injury. And he was someone teams shied away from and that allowed the Phins to get him for a steal.

I could easily see VW being given an extension with a huge reduction in Salary and a signing bonus or guaranteed money to off-set the change.

As I wrote in another thread:

Wilfork ruptured his Achilles tendon. It's the largest and strongest tendon in the body, and is responsible for all efforts involving "pushing off" with the foot. Age and obesity are both risk factors for Achilles tendon rupture, and most occur as non-contact injuries in athletes. The most common age for injury is between 30 and 40 - when circulation begins to become compromised at the micro-vascular level, but when athletes are still trying to perform at an elite level.

We'll never know, but I strongly suspect that Wilfork's "foot injury" listed on the injury report earlier this season was tendonitis of his Achilles tendon, and that he tried to play through it. It would account for why he had no power pushing off and was pushed around by Vlad Ducasse in the first Jets game. It would also be consistent with the tendon finally rupturing completely 2 games later against Atlanta.

Players have come back from Achilles' injuries, even those requiring surgery. Terrell Suggs took only 5 months last year. It's arguable whether he's been the same player he was before the injury. Isaiah Thomas was never the same after his Achilles' rupture. There aren't a lot of case reports of 325+lb. (conservatively) 32 year old defensive tackles coming back from such an injury. Wilfork's entire game involves anchoring and pushing off against 300+lb. NFL linemen, and I personally doubt that he'll ever have the same power or explosiveness that he did prior to the injury.

The other factor to keep in mind is that both of Wilfork's parents had diabetes. While Wilfork himself hasn't been diagnosed with diabetes, his strong family history could suggest that he may have some degree of micro-circulatory compromise, which could affect healing and recovery. His weight will most certainly be a factor.

Add it all up, and I'm very dubious that we'll ever see the 2004-2012 vintage Wilfork or anything close to it, and I would be surprised if he is able to play with any significant effectiveness in 2014.

Should the Patriots find some way to "take care" of Wilfork and reward him for his immense contributions to the team? Certainly. But to do so under the salary cap would be extremely risky. Any attempt to "restructure" Wilfork probably just means moving money further out into the future for a player who is unlikely to play again at a meaningful level. I doubt it's the money that's the issue; it's the direction of the team, and the ability under the cap to move in another direction.

It's a horrible situation. I understand the sentiment. But personally, I think you have to move on from Wilfork as a player, and find another way to take care of him or reward him for past contributions.

I'm a physician with 20+ years clinical practice, but I'm not an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports injuries (I'm an anesthesiologist). I've spent the bulk of my career specializing in trauma, so I'm very familiar with musculoskeletal injuries, and I have discussed this with some orthopedic colleagues specializing in traumatic injuries. I don't think anyone can predict for certain whether Wilfork can come back form this, but you have to factor in the magnitude of the injury, his weight, his family history of diabetes, and his age against the fact that he is extremely motivated, both financially and by pride. I'd personally say the odds are against him, but that doesn't guarantee that he can't beat them. It does, however, factor in to making a decision about how to go forward for the team.

I'm not worried about Wilfork's mobility, I'm worried about his ability to plant off his foot and drive from his lower legs effectively. That's the bread and butter of his business.

Again, no one will no for sure until the experiment actually occurs, but based on my professional experience, I'm skeptical.

I love Wilfork and what he's meant to the team. He's been one of my favorite players for a decade. But I'm very skeptical that we'll see the old Wilfork again, or even anything close.

Is Linval Joseph really a 0/1-Tech Guy? Or is he more of a 3-Tech?

I think Joseph can probably play both to some extent, but I think of him more as a 0/1 tech guy. He's not a "pure" NT, but he has the size and strength to 2-gap and is a monstrous run stopper; but he can also penetrate a bit as well as push the pocket.

Why do you discount the potential of Michael Buchanan becoming a potential guy opposite Chandler Jones? Are Murphy or Lynch really an upgrade over a guy who has been in the system for a year with NFL game experience?

I have hopes for Buchanan developing into a solid sub-rusher and backup RDE, and possibly more, but I certainly don't want to put all my eggs into 1 basket. I don't think Bequette is likely to make a leap at this point. Chandler Jones played 98.1% of the defensive snaps last year and Rob Ninkovich played 95.6% - the two highest snap totals of any DEs in the NFL. We can't count on that kind of workload in the future, and I think playing that many snaps is detrimental in any case to the productivity of the DEs come playoff time. I think having a solid rotation of DEs - and I include Buchanan in that - is equally important as addressing the DT position. Indeed, we have much more depth at DT than we currently have at DE. I think Murphy is an ideal Pats-type player in terms of his toughness, intelligence and versatility, and that he would make a great LDE. Lynch certain has the physical tools, though there are issues. There are others (Taylor Hart, for example) who I think could be good fits. I'm also hoping that Armstead will get some time at LDE as well as at DT, but at this point I think it's premature to make too many assumptions about Armstead's role. I also wouldn't mind seeing Hightower get some time on the line, especially if we get more athletic LBs who can play in space like Jamie Collins.

The Pats played a 4-3 Under system with a 4-2 Under Nickel package, primarily. In that, you have a 0, 3 tech for your DTs and your DEs play either 5 or 7 tech.

I absolutely adore the 4-3 under - it's probably my favorite package, in both base and nickel forms. But I'm not sure that I'd say the Pats' "primarily" played that. They certainly used some under, along with some over in 4 man fronts, and some odd fronts, in various base and nickel packages. "Mutliple" is BB's term, and it fits. If I were planning on a real 4 man under front I'd want a 5 tech kind of player at LDE and a true NT next to him. But given the multiple packages and fronts that I expect the Pats to play, I'm willing to shade those a bit, as long as the players in those roles have the versatility to play in different schemes. I think that Linval Joseph and Trent Murphy both have good size, length and versatility to fit into different fronts and schemes.

I agree that the Pats need someone to replace VW in the long run. I'd love someone who could play either the NT or DT position. The question is whether or not they can get that type of player. I also agree that they need someone who can be more of a coverage guy so that they can pull Mayo and Hightower off the field on passing downs.

I think that DT/NT is the primary need (be it the draft or FA). That is followed by CB, OC, OG, DE, LB.

I'm very much hoping that we sign Talib long term, addressing the CB position. I'd also like to sign a veteran UFA interior offensive lineman and an in-line TE for depth in free agency, if at all possible, as well as figure out the situation with Wilfork or find a replacement. That would allow us to really load up on some talent on both sides of the ball in this incredibly deep and strong draft.

I'd be okay with him bringing Kevin Williams with him.

(Jared Allen too, but it seems like he's destined to be a Buc.)

I'd be okay with him bringing Kevin Williams with him.

(Jared Allen too, but it seems like he's destined to be a Buc.)

As someone who lives in Minneapolis, I have to say this "destined to be a Buc" stuff is patently absurd. The Bucs SUCK. They have, as a defensive coordinator of their awful team, a coach who was fired because he was a bad head coach Yes, Frazier was his (overrated) coordinator before that and yes, Allen had his highest sack total with Frazier as head coach. But Allen has publicly said that Frazier being fired has next to no bearing on his decision to return to the Vikings.

Allen is a competitor and a loyal player, so I can see him having loyalty to Frazier to an extent, but if he leaves Minnesota, where he met his wife and started his family, it makes sense he'd want to go to a team that does not need to rebuild.

I'm not saying that team will be the Pats, but I'd put the Bucs in, at best, the bottom half of teams he would be likely to want to play for next season.

Also, I won't quote the post by Mayoclinic that is two above mine, but that is one of the finest posts I've read on Patsfans. It's extraordinarily informative, and diverse. Well played, Doc.

As I wrote in another thread:

I love Wilfork and what he's meant to the team. He's been one of my favorite players for a decade. But I'm very skeptical that we'll see the old Wilfork again, or even anything close.

I think Joseph can probably play both to some extent, but I think of him more as a 0/1 tech guy. He's not a "pure" NT, but he has the size and strength to 2-gap and is a monstrous run stopper; but he can also penetrate a bit as well as push the pocket.

I have hopes for Buchanan developing into a solid sub-rusher and backup RDE, and possibly more, but I certainly don't want to put all my eggs into 1 basket. I don't think Bequette is likely to make a leap at this point. Chandler Jones played 98.1% of the defensive snaps last year and Rob Ninkovich played 95.6% - the two highest snap totals of any DEs in the NFL. We can't count on that kind of workload in the future, and I think playing that many snaps is detrimental in any case to the productivity of the DEs come playoff time. I think having a solid rotation of DEs - and I include Buchanan in that - is equally important as addressing the DT position. Indeed, we have much more depth at DT than we currently have at DE. I think Murphy is an ideal Pats-type player in terms of his toughness, intelligence and versatility, and that he would make a great LDE. Lynch certain has the physical tools, though there are issues. There are others (Taylor Hart, for example) who I think could be good fits. I'm also hoping that Armstead will get some time at LDE as well as at DT, but at this point I think it's premature to make too many assumptions about Armstead's role. I also wouldn't mind seeing Hightower get some time on the line, especially if we get more athletic LBs who can play in space like Jamie Collins.

I absolutely adore the 4-3 under - it's probably my favorite package, in both base and nickel forms. But I'm not sure that I'd say the Pats' "primarily" played that. They certainly used some under, along with some over in 4 man fronts, and some odd fronts, in various base and nickel packages. "Mutliple" is BB's term, and it fits. If I were planning on a real 4 man under front I'd want a 5 tech kind of player at LDE and a true NT next to him. But given the multiple packages and fronts that I expect the Pats to play, I'm willing to shade those a bit, as long as the players in those roles have the versatility to play in different schemes. I think that Linval Joseph and Trent Murphy both have good size, length and versatility to fit into different fronts and schemes.

I'm very much hoping that we sign Talib long term, addressing the CB position. I'd also like to sign a veteran UFA interior offensive lineman and an in-line TE for depth in free agency, if at all possible, as well as figure out the situation with Wilfork or find a replacement. That would allow us to really load up on some talent on both sides of the ball in this incredibly deep and strong draft.
How do you feel about Kelly coming back? He tore his ACL

If he can coach people to do this often , I am ok with it.
ibhKrn5cgF8c68.gif

How do you feel about Kelly coming back? He tore his ACL

I don't have access to the medical data, but I'm much more optimistic about Kelly. All ACL tears are not created equal. Kelly's injury has been reported to be his ACL, but it was probably a partial injury or milder tear, as he did not require surgery (he had previously had surgery on the same knee). Logan Mankins played through a mild ACL tear; Kelly obviously hoped it would respond to rest but not surprisingly, it wasn't responding as quickly as he had hoped, so the team shut him down for the season. With a full offseason of rest, there's a good chance that it will be fully healed. Again, I'm reading in-between the lines a bit and don't have full data to make an assessment, but I'm more optimistic.

Linval Joseph is mostly a Nose Guard. He's a hell of a player and won't command a ton of money ($4-6m per year maybe?). That said, I think the Giants will resign him.

As for Arthur Jones, last year Glenn Dorsey signed a 2-year, $6m deal with SF. I think Arthur is better than Dorsey so he will probably get a little bit more per year and more years.

I don't have access to the medical data, but I'm much more optimistic about Kelly. All ACL tears are not created equal. Kelly's injury has been reported to be his ACL, but it was probably a partial injury or milder tear, as he did not require surgery (he had previously had surgery on the same knee). Logan Mankins played through a mild ACL tear; Kelly obviously hoped it would respond to rest but not surprisingly, it wasn't responding as quickly as he had hoped, so the team shut him down for the season. With a full offseason of rest, there's a good chance that it will be fully healed. Again, I'm reading in-between the lines a bit and don't have full data to make an assessment, but I'm more optimistic.
Yeah I was guessing it was partially torn or something along those lines due to him not being placed on IR right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes