PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Have More Trouble With the Officials Than Chiefs In Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not excuse bingo, it's pointing out the obvious. The Patriots had 14 points taken off the scoreboard due to bad officiating. That's a fact. The ensuing drives to get 10 points out of the 14 took game clock that would otherwise been available for potential additional possession. That's not in dispute, that's a fact. Correcting the bad officiating caused us to lose a timeout. This timeout could have provided a final possession to win the game. That's not in dispute, that's a fact.
You seem to be stuck on 'look at this quarter, look at that quarter, look at that play' and are adamantly stating that's the only reason. No. But yes, a very notable contributing factor for the Patriots inability to score more points than the Chiefs was due to a number of poor possessions by the O and the D. Another reason for their inability to score sufficient points for victory was (see above). In a shocking! bit of analysis, it ends up multiple factors can go into a team's inability to score enough points to win o_O
You point out that the Patriots did not score enough points due to multiple factors, citing their poor possessions and awful officiating for the loss. My whole point in earlier posts was that we should not blame the officiating as the primary reason for the loss, with me stating, "The officiating was terrible but I don't think that's what cost the game compared to not playing well." As noted in this earlier quote, I believe poor play was more responsible COMPARED to the officiating. I never said or alluded to poor play being the "only reason" for the loss as you claimed about my post. Either you ignored my post's wording or are attempting to misrepresent what I said.

With all your sarcasm and self-importance in the above quote with things like "shocking!", I would have hoped you would have read my post more carefully and engaged with it in a respectful manner.

Lastly, you dismiss the butterfly effect with "that's a fact." If the Patriots score one of those touchdowns, you suggest everything after that changes for the better. But the Chiefs might get more aggressive on offense, thus meaning longer drives and no additional possession for the Patriots. Maybe the Chiefs score an additional field goal or touchdown in the process. The Patriots might use a timeout in another situation. The point is that there is no "fact" about what would have transpired after one of those bad calls suddenly going our way. More points give the Patriots more of a chance, but claiming that hypothetical likely scenarios are facts is really just smoke and mirrors when it comes to debate.

Last edited:
Simply put, the whistle did not blow on the fumble and it should have been a score by Gilmore and Harry clearly scored..

Officials got BOTH ENDS of the call wrong, one thought Harry stepped out of bounds, the other didn't think he crossed the goal line. They should have asked for a review..

Officiating sucked ....

If the Pats had scored those two TD's, the complexion of the game would have changed, there would be a lot less complaining today..

ELT0VThXUAAwpwc

Then there is this..

Boger’s crew with several misfires casts a shadow over Chiefs-Patriots clash

"Chiefs offensive guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif was correctly penalized for an illegal use of hands foul, but instead of marking off a 10 yard penalty, the crew only penalized Kansas City five yards. Often, referees will misspeak over the microphone and give the wrong penalty yardage, but here, the 2nd and 10 turned into a 2nd and 15, when it should have been 2nd and 20."

Then there is this..

Boger’s crew with several misfires casts a shadow over Chiefs-Patriots clash

"Chiefs offensive guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif was correctly penalized for an illegal use of hands foul, but instead of marking off a 10 yard penalty, the crew only penalized Kansas City five yards. Often, referees will misspeak over the microphone and give the wrong penalty yardage, but here, the 2nd and 10 turned into a 2nd and 15, when it should have been 2nd and 20."

I was just about to post this myself. This is so infuriating

I agree that it is lame to complain if you are making excuses, but come on if you are going to turn a blind eye then you are comatose. What is the point of the connection to the NY Field office if not to set things right, such as that missed touchdown that everyone and his great grandmother saw except, somehow, the officials

I heard that the official who made that call is a Baltimore resident.

Maybe I'm just bitter this morning but when the patriots get a call that's iffy, even in a game where the call didn't come close to helping decide the game, I wake up to all kinds of alerts on my phone from all the sports media sites with headlines making it sound like patriots only won due to bad calls.... No alerts this morning with headlines about yesterday's bad calls.

Maybe I'm just bitter this morning but when the patriots get a call that's iffy, even in a game where the call didn't come close to helping decide the game, I wake up to all kinds of alerts on my phone from all the sports media sites with headlines making it sound like patriots only won due to bad calls.... No alerts this morning with headlines about yesterday's bad calls.
If this had happened in reverse things would be very different in the press today. INstead we get things like:
New England Patriots: Loss to Chiefs doesn't fall on officiating

One thing that isn't new news: everyone (except us) hates the Patriots and wants the dynasty to fall.

Though to be fair there is some decent coverage today. Such as:
The referees actually ... screwed the Patriots? Huh, that’s new

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes