PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots extend offer to Bills RFA RB Mike Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow we are robbing the Bills. I wonder how they feel about this?

Would only have to give up a 5th if the Bills didn't match.

It's kinda hard to give up 40% of your remaining cap space for a backup player in Gillislee.

But it's also hard to swallow that a division rival benefits directly. I mean look how well Hogan has played for us since leaving the Bills?

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | RUNNING BACKS 2016

DVOA is per play, Gillislee had a monsterous 45%. Burkhead was 41.9%, you have to look lower for him as he had under 100 carries. McCoy was #2 behind Gillislee so it wasn't just the RB in Buffalo, it was an overall strong running game.

Notice also his amazing first-ranked "Success Rate" - 66%. Blount's was 44%.

Explanation of the statistic here:
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Introducing Running Back Success Rate

I also guess the Bill's match - but then that eats into their cap some. So either way a win for Belichick.

C6zj4OXWsAALdMD.jpg

Reporter: Bill, you don't have a first or second round draft pick this year. Is that a problem?

BB: No room at the inn.

I think that's why they've done what they've done this year draft pick wise. That and what BB said about wanting to coach players he likes.

From this, looks like there's no reason to select a WR in this draft. That being said, BB will probably take a pair. :)

Assuming the offer is not matched: In a rational (drafting) world, barring a BB "WTF" pick or an OL prospect that's just too good to pass up, there's not really any reason to draft offense.

That'll wrap up Blount's career with the Patriots.
My thought exactly! In addition to the Bills front office gagging , Blount n his agent must b uttering WTF?

The most pissed off Patriot Rex Burkhead
Most pissed off non Patriot player Legarette the soon to be Giant or Packer Blount

Love this move & with 4M the first season, it really puts the pressure on the Bills who would have to give up about 40% of there remaining cap money to retain him.

Most pissed off non Patriot player Legarette the soon to be Giant or Packer Blount

I could be way off on this, but I'm looking at Burkhead as a guy who's going to be given a long look as a potential slot WR moving forward.

Very possible..

Or oft injured Dion Lewis. Remember, to BB, availability is more valuable than talent. I think one of Lewis or White might not be on the final 53 man roster.

Burkhead and Gillislee have complementary skillsets. If anything, Rex is happy he won't be forced to play the part of a 3 down rusher (unless, as many players are wont to do, he believes he's the greatest player ever).

James White could be on the trading block.

That only makes sens, to me, if the team thinks White's going to be a tough signing. All reports indicate that White's one of the so-called Perfect Patriots.

That only makes sens, to me, if the team thinks White's going to be a tough signing. All reports indicate that White's one of the so-called Perfect Patriots.

White is a great receiver. Gillislee, not so much. I don't see how the signing affects Sweet Feet James.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe