PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots cut Edelman(Update- EDELMAN RETIRES)

edleman has bone on bone in his knee......he's done

the pats did him a solid cutting him injured - he's in line for a 2 million dollar injury payment per the CBA.......and i believe that carrie a 1.2 million cap hit with hit

he's. done.

the pats did him a solid cutting him injured - he's in line for a 2 million dollar injury payment per the CBA.......and i believe that carrie a 1.2 million cap hit with hit

he's. done.
There are shots that can prolong use of the knee.

he's. done.
Wow! No ****? Thanks for the scoop, bud. We’d be lost without you.

I do wonder if Edelman takes a year off and joins the Bucs. I don't think you can rule it out completely. Reports before his retirement was that he could have played this season but would be limited.

If three phases and postseason was worth a damn to voters, Jules would be a HOF player without question.

11 seasons with 9869 all purpose yards (165th) 620 catches (75th) for 6,822 yards (156th) and 36 touchdowns, 58 rushing attempts for 413 yards, 177 punt returns (63rd) for 1,986 yards (39th) and four touchdowns (21st), 30 kick returns for 626 yards, and six completions on six passing attempts for 128 yards with one score and a perfect 158.3 passer rating.

19 playoff games (89th), 2,049 all purpose postseason yards (4th), 118 postseason catches (2nd), 1442 postseason receiving yards (2nd), 5 postseason receiving TD's, 39 postseason punt returns (1st), 443 postseason punt return yards (1st), Super Bowl MVP

21 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 14 fumble recoveries.

And one of those tackles was pretty memorable for Jeremy Lane:

I do wonder if Edelman takes a year off and joins the Bucs. I don't think you can rule it out completely. Reports before his retirement was that he could have played this season but would be limited.
The guy has bone-on-bone in his knee, says his wheels have come off, lines himself up for a $2M injury settlement, and would be 36 years old on the first day of the 2022-3 season after taking a year off. Why can't we just accept it's over? This is one hot take not worth clinging to, IMO.

Read Curran's piece. The guy just isn't in a good place physically, he tried to correct the problems and the correction didn't take. No surprise given how he went for it on each and every play. Time to let him move on to the next chapter, rather than try to use him as a prop for a hot take.

Last edited:
Edelman must have screwed Florio's wife because he was ranting for 2 plus hours on how Julian was a PEDs cheater and he was using this "retirement" time off to do more PEDs and heal up and play for another team. Seriously, i shut it off and went about my business and tuned back in 2 hrs later and Florio was still *****ing about him. At one point i almost felt sorry for Florio and then his stooge Sims said something stupid (he always agrees with whatever Florio says) and i turned it off. The debate turned into whether Edelman is HoF worthy, which obviously he is not but it seemed to have struck a nerve with Florio.

Love how people like Keyshawn are dismissing Edelman's postseason stats.

I'm not arguing Julian is a HOFer, but I'm laughing at people pointing to Wes Welker as more deserving.

Also, for decades, we've heard that Stanley Morgan isn't in the HOF despite having better numbers than many of his HOF contemporaries, but those guys performed well in the playoffs and were part of championship teams (Lynn Swann, Drew Pearson, etc.). But now they reverse the tables and argue the postseason shouldn't count!! Absurd. They also used to say Stanley was part of so many losing teams.

FACT: In Morgan's first 12 years with the Patriots, the Patriots had only ONE losing season.

The guy has bone-on-bone in his knee, says his wheels have come off, lines himself up for a $2M injury settlement, and would be 36 years old on the first day of the 2022-3 season after taking a year off. Why can't we just accept it's over? This is one hot take not worth clinging to, IMO.

Read Curran's piece. The guy just isn't in a good place physically, he tried to correct the problems and the correction didn't take. No surprise given how he went for it on each and every play. Time to let him move on to the next chapter, rather than try to use him as a prop for a hot take.
It was awfully painful just to watch him be on the field in 2020. Took a brutal beating in a game he got targeted like 25 times. I just kept thinking "Please Jules, just walk away from the game while you still can"

Gronk was traded and he was in much better shape to play than Edelman is with his wonky knee. Edelman at his age adds no value to the Bucs. I believe he really is done.
Those that claim that Gronk did not force his way out of NE are in denial.

1 Gronk ends retirement from Patriots and takes his physical for Tampa Bay.
2 Gronk refuses to play for the Patriots forcing a trade.
3 BB trades Gronk. BB could have played hardball and nixed a trade, but he does not roll that way. BB will not stand in the way of Edelman joining Brady either.

3 BB trades Gronk. BB could have played hardball and nixed a trade, but he does not roll that way. BB will not stand in the way of Edelman joining Brady either.
FWIW, I don't think he could have. GRONK's salary didn't count against the Patriots' cap when he was retired. By the time he was ready to return, the Pats couldn't have taken on his salary, which means the Patriots would have had to release him for nothing. (Also, GRONK has said more than once he doesn't want to play with any other QB than Brady.)

The Squirrel is DONE. Seriously done. Not rekindling his bromance on the field in tamper. Stop it.

Love how people like Keyshawn are dismissing Edelman's postseason stats.

I'm not arguing Julian is a HOFer, but I'm laughing at people pointing to Wes Welker as more deserving.

Also, for decades, we've heard that Stanley Morgan isn't in the HOF despite having better numbers than many of his HOF contemporaries, but those guys performed well in the playoffs and were part of championship teams (Lynn Swann, Drew Pearson, etc.). But now they reverse the tables and argue the postseason shouldn't count!! Absurd. They also used to say Stanley was part of so many losing teams.

FACT: In Morgan's first 12 years with the Patriots, the Patriots had only ONE losing season.
Steamer should be in the HoF.

I wasn't aware that any of those points were debatable until I saw a "disagree" reaction there. Didn't Gronk himself say he wasn't unretiring for anyone but Brady? What am I missing?

Edelman has retired. Word from the media is that his knee was bad and even surgery wasn't going to fix it properly.

Thank you for your many years of service, Julian Edelman.
You were the ultimate pro and the heart of this team. You were an amazing player and a tried and true Patriot.

FWIW, I don't think he could have. GRONK's salary didn't count against the Patriots' cap when he was retired. By the time he was ready to return, the Pats couldn't have taken on his salary, which means the Patriots would have had to release him for nothing. (Also, GRONK has said more than once he doesn't want to play with any other QB than Brady.)
If that is true then Tampa could have simply waited for NE to cut Gronk and they would have got him for free instead of spending a 4th round pick. Quite frankly, that may have been the best course to take because NE might have gotten a 3rd round compensatory pick instead.

There is almost always a way to create more cap space. Its seldom that you see a team in cap hell. The Saints were there a few years ago, but the 2021 Chiefs are making cap room with that bloated whale of the Mahomes contract to deal with.

I wasn't aware that any of those points were debatable until I saw a "disagree" reaction there. Didn't Gronk himself say he wasn't unretiring for anyone but Brady? What am I missing?

Homers dont like the truth?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back