Patriots close to 2-year deal with FB/LB Spencer Larsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP-Logick

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Former Bronco.
Greg A. Bedard ‏ @GregABedard
And the beat goes on and on and on RT @caplannfl: The #Patriots are close to a 2 yr deal with FB Spencer Larsen, a source said.

FB/LB? That's an odd combo to be designated as. I know nothing about this guy, anyone have any insight?

which one is he better at? I'm guessing this guy is a STer and FB mostly

Another former Bronco!

Remember him playing FB for them last season

Not sure when the last time he played linebacker was. Guessing more of FB, though I'm sure Belichick loves his two-way ability.

which one is he better at? I'm guessing this guy is a STer and FB mostly

I think hes a special teamer that has run the Vrabel play on the goal line a few times. Dont remember all that much of him though.

A good friend of mine is a huge Broncos fan and we would watch Denver games he loved Spencer Larsen, this guy is a utility player just fills in where needed and fills in admirably, touch blocker better as pass protection than run blocking can sneak out the backfield run a good route and can make the catch, would be a good wrinkle for us especially near the goal line.

As far as the games he played linebacker I saw a preaseason game where they were playing I believe the Bucs and he did a heck of a job.

That being said I am more excited about hopefully a Castillo signature, but the way I see it the more utility guys we get the more ammo we have to move up and get some pass rush finally.

It's actually not that odd of a Combo since Lousaka Polite was a LB coming out of college as well.

Larsen was a LB from Arizona when he came out in 2008. Some people here wanted him as an ILB for the Pats because we thought we saw some of Tedy in him.

He's the "I'll do whatever it takes to help the team" type of player. Very good special teamer. From the offense's standpoint, Larsen is a leadblocker and decent on blitz pickup. But he's not a regular for catching out of the backfield or short-yardage.

I wouldn't make that assumption if I were you. With Polite and Larsen, the Pats now have 3RBs and 2 FBs and 3TEs. That gives them a lot of flexibility in the event of injuries. And it's clear that Hernandez will be seeing a lot more time split wide and in the backfield as the H-back than he will in the traditional TE position.

we're signing an awful lot of guys who aren't locks to make the team.

(and no, I don't include Branch in that category)

Providing the Pats sign this guy, there will be three players on the roster with "FB" in their job title, two of whom have NFL experience: Larsen, Polite, and Kettani.

It's been a while since the Pats had those kind of numbers at that position, without adding any UDFAs or other camp fodder. Looks almost like FB is going to be a real position on the gameday roster.

we're signing an awful lot of guys who aren't locks to make the team.

(and no, I don't include Branch in that category)

Well I do..... Deion Branch is just another WR trying to make the club.....either that or planning his retirement Press Conference.

As to signing guys that might not make the team, it looks like instead of waiting until June and July to sign the the bottom 20 guy to fill the 80 man roster, BB is being very proactive. The staff must have been working hard identifying the guys they want competing for jobs, rather than wait to see who's left. Looks like we'll have around 70 guys already on the roster by the draft.

I love this approach. It puts everyone on notice that they better come to camp ready, or they'll be looking for work (and with BB they know that this isn't lip service). Its hard to come back fresh after losing a superbowl BB is trying to shake things up.

Its good in the sense that he's giving everyone a chance to see what they are up against to make this roster, and an entire off season to do something about it. He who snoozes.... loses. If you're not getting better....your getting worse Only the strong and very focused are going to survive THIS training camp.

Last edited:
...As to signing guys that might not make the team, it looks like instead of waiting until June and July to sign the the bottom 20 guy to fill the 80 man roster, BB is being very proactive. The staff must have been working hard identifying the guys they want competing for jobs, rather than wait to see who's left. Looks like we'll have around 70 guys already on the roster by the draft....

BB is maneuvering like a man who's not going to worry about trading down for camp bodies in this draft.

BB is maneuvering like a man who's not going to worry about trading down for camp bodies in this draft.

Does anybody really think he trades down in the draft because he's worrying about 'camp bodies'? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes