PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots : best season - worst one

Status
Not open for further replies.
The three Super Bowl winning seasons were all superb in different ways, but if I had to pick just one I would have to say 2001 because finally, after 42 years of futility, we reached the top of the mountain. Both the Snow Bowl and Super Bowl 36 were games which we never expected to win, looked like were about to lose with less than two minutes left, and then snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

As for worst, a lot of people have mentioned the 2-14 and 1-15 seasons, tragedies like what happened to Darrell Stingley and Robert Edwards, and the like. While I agree that all that sucked, for me the worst moments were those were it looked like, finally, at long last we were about to taste success, only to not only be denied, but to be humiliated and embarrassed at the same time:

• The 1985 season when we first made the Super Bowl (who can forget "Squish the Fish", only to not only be absolutely run over on the field, but also to have the newspapers reporting about drug use by Patriots players within a few days of the season ending.
  • Chuck Fairbanks accepting a different job while still coaching the Patriots (with a game left in the regular season IIRC) and then being fired with games still left to be played.
  • Ben Dreith.
  • Parcells negotiating with the Jets (how many phone calls to Hempstead, NY?) during the weeks before SB31, leaking the story to Will McDonough so that it became not only a distraction to him but to the whole team and the fans, then turning his back on the team after losing the game and not even flying home with his, er, THE team.

Last edited:
upstater1 said:
Millen, McPherson, Rust, Kiam, Hodson, ugh.

1981. I don't know how Erhardt and that team lost 14 games, but without even going back to look at the scores, I bet we lost about 8 or 9 of those games by a score or less. That team could have easily been 10-6. The most unlucky team in Patriots history.

Millen could be (do you agree) the worst qb we ever had...

concerning 1981 you are totally right ! i noted and it is possible only to confirm what you said.

Fanfrom1960 said:
Pat, yes, I imagine you would like the Steve Grogan avatar!

yes Fanfrom1960. Why not ?

But also Hannah, Cunningham, Stanley Morgan 'sounds' fine

italianpatthepatriot said:
Millen could be (do you agree) the worst qb we ever had...

concerning 1981 you are totally right ! i noted and it is possible only to confirm what you said.

We've had worse.

Mike Taliaferro, (sorry, Paisan:D ), Joe Kapp, (great competitor, but I could throw better than him).

Greatest = 2001. Just a once in a lifetime miracle season.

Troy Brown stealing a playoff game from Pitt on special teams!!:eek:

Also, the wild card playoff run in 1985. The Jets, Dolphs and Raiders were the cream of the league after Chicago. Thrilling.

Low point. There were many, but realizing Clive Rush was actually the coach was disheartening.

From the Black Power defense to almost electrocuting himself, the team turned from wacky to the twilight zone.

Best season, the 2001 was a special season in its own right, but the best team no doubt was the 2003/2004 .. Here is how I rate them

Best teams
1 2003
2 2004
3 2001
4 1996
5 1976

Worst teams
1 1990- probably the worst in nfl history, worse than the 1980 Aints
2 1992
3 1981
4 1995- I put this team on, because it was a disapoint ment because of the yr before and the expectations this team had...

I will always have a soft spot for the 2001 team , it was a magical season, but if we are talking best teams, the 2003 and 2004 team were the best teams...

My favorite year was 1976 because they were good, real good and came from nowhere. Yes how it ended hurt but I still love that season.
Worst 1978, I thought they had their best team with a great OL, Grogan hit those long bombs and good defence. Fairbanks/Sullivan fiasco ruined it.

Pats Fanatic said:
My favorite year was 1976 because they were good, real good and came from nowhere. Yes how it ended hurt but I still love that season.
Worst 1978, I thought they had their best team with a great OL, Grogan hit those long bombs and good defence. Fairbanks/Sullivan fiasco ruined it.

in that period we could have reached and probably win a Super Bowl...
sad and bad not happened...

i would like to see the 1976 play-off game @ Oak...

is there a chance ?

vhs or dvd...

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back