Patriots : best season - worst one

Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The best season for me was without a doubt 2001.
Finally, finally, finally we reached the top after an emotional game ! Super Bowl Champs !
I was so excited when AV made the winning FG, players running on the field, confetti and then Robert Kraft bringing the Vince Lombardi ! Amazing ! Beautiful ! The best moment for me in sports ever.
We arrived at the top after more then 40 years history.
I do not think we will ever reach that kind of emotions - first time is always 1st time !

The 2nd best is for me 1959 when we borned (Boston Patriots) ! Thks to the Sullivans for it and thks to Phil Bissell too for creating Pat Patriot logo.

The worst one i consider the Orthwein time...1992-1993 i think. we were so near to become Saint Louis Patriots...But then Mr Kraft arrived and kept the franchise where he must be.

But do you imagine if the framchise was leaving ? Good that it did NOT happened !

Last edited:
yeah...2001 was nice...but 2003/2004 was my preference--because the whole league could see it coming and nobody could do a damned thing about it, including rule changes and stacking the schedule...21 games straight, undefeated at the new stadium, back to back lombardis and 17-2 seasons...

worst? pick'em...hugh millen at the helm...Billy Sullivan getting decked...Darryl Stingley...1-15...locker room scandals...Victor Kiam... :bricks:

The best is a ground ball, 2001 coming out of nowhere. Starting out 0-2, franchise QB gets knocked out and well we all know the rest.

I think the worst is I think it was 1981. They were 2-14 so soon after those teams of the late 70's.

yes...probably since 1959 the worst moments are more then the best moments but, as fans, who cares ?

real fans are present also when the things are not running so well.

anyway we are actually living the best moment ever of the New England Patriots.

and let's hope it will contine for a very long time.

and with BB, SP + Brady + Seymour the future should be bright

My Best and Worst

There are 3 Best Patriot Moments for me. The first is the 3rd Superbbowl Win. The patriots were so dominant. There was so much hype about Eagles. Would T.O. play?, Westbrooke was starting to peak. You never heard our Pats say a thing. We just showed up and kicked there butt! ...PERIOD.... My second Best Patriot Moment was last season, Seeing Ben Watson run down Champ Bailey at the 1 yard line in the playoffs. That was probably one of the best hustles, and hardest hits ever made in the open field. If you get a chance check it out at http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=nflfilmclips it's listed as #6 vs. Denver Broncos. That hit made me so proud of our Pats. They never quit in that game. You that man Ben, you the man! My third Best Patriot Moment was seeing Tedy Bruschi return, I'mnot gonna lie. I teared up, and got goose bumps! Now that's Patriots Fan's Patriot!

My Worst Pats Moment was hearing Tedy Bruschi had a stroke. He is not only a key player to the Pats. But he is a Dad and a Husband. I am glad he has recovered and is back. More for his family and him than for the team.

that Ben Watson play @ DEN will be never forget by me...

and it seems that many Pats fans remember it very well (i have read that when people meet Watson they give the compliments for that play)

it was amazing !

The Best season: 2001- Just everything was on our side and just fell into place

Best Moment: Adam kicking the game tying field goal in the snow, easily a moment I will never forget

Worst Season: I believe it was 1991 (correct me if I am wrong) where we went 1-15

Worst Moment: Sex Scandal, Robert edwards injury during a flag football game!!!

italianpatthepatriot said:
that Ben Watson play @ DEN will be never forget by me...

and it seems that many Pats fans remember it very well (i have read that when people meet Watson they give the compliments for that play)

it was amazing !

Except if maybe Watson had not missed his block after the snap, then Brady does not have a guy in his face and is not forced to throw the ball up for grabs??

patsfan2113 said:
The Best season: 2001- Just everything was on our side and just fell into place

Best Moment: Adam kicking the game tying field goal in the snow, easily a moment I will never forget

Worst Season: I believe it was 1991 (correct me if I am wrong) where we went 1-15

Worst Moment: Sex Scandal, Robert edwards injury during a flag football game!!!

the injury at # 47 (am i correct ?) Robert Edwards was really a bad new,i agree...he had a very good first Nfl Season with us running (am i correct again?) more then 1000 yards

he substituted quite well Curtis Martin

yes. the best moment i agree also with you: the 45 yards kick in the snow from AV

The best season for me was without a doubt 2001.
Finally, finally, finally we reached the top after an emotional game ! Super Bowl Champs !
I was so excited when AV made the winning FG, players running on the field, confetti and then Robert Kraft bringing the Vince Lombardi ! Amazing ! Beautiful ! The best moment for me in sports ever.
We arrived at the top after more then 40 years history.
I do not think we will ever reach that kind of emotions - first time is always 1st time !

The 2nd best is for me 1959 when we borned (Boston Patriots) ! Thks to the Sullivans for it and thks to Phil Bissell too for creating Pat Patriot logo.

The worst one i consider the Orthwein time...1992-1993 i think. we were so near to become Saint Louis Patriots...But then Mr Kraft arrived and kept the franchise where he must be.

But do you imagine if the framchise was leaving ? Good that it did NOT happened !
Minor correction: the first season in which the Patriots played was in 1960, when the league was formed and other original AFL teams also played first.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf/histories/patriots/

Worst for me was when a new, decent stadium was nowhere in sight and there was talk about moving to Birmingham, Alabama! Best was Super Bowl XXXVI and the 48 yeard field goal by this guy from North Dakota splitting the uprights perfectly as time ran out.

Best was 2004, hopefully next year will be similar. Worst, for me, was 2002. Team couldn't stop the run, lost that horrid game at home to NYJ, and missed the playoffs.

Very therapeutic thread!!...my 2 cents:

most "exciting" season: '01 or '03...team in ascendancy...edge has to go to '01, but those were two of the most intense rides in league history. Only knock against '01 is they had ZERO pressure and ZERO expectations to do anything (still the greatest Cinderella team in League history). IMO, Snow Bowl will always be the "greatest" game in Pats history --followed closely by SB-38 (IMO, greatest SB ever).

crown jewel: "The Streak" was fun but for me it's the '04 playoffs: 2nd half of Colts game and 1st half of Steelers game were the most perfect and dominant 60 minutes of football I've ever seen...team at its absolute peak -- like a 3-game coronation -- thoroughly embarrassing the most stubborn naysayers and erasing all doubts as to the greatness of this team (except of course within Colts circles). And yet they aspire for more.:rocker:

As forgettable as '05 and '02 were, they were full of heartstopping twists and turns -- in fact, '05 had the potential to trump them all. Last year there were 4 fourth quarter comeback victories -- three on the road...toughest schedule in the league...taking everyone's best shots...setting the injury record...with other head coaches expressing sympathy for us and prognosticating the end...the media (and yes, much of the fanbase) writing them off after the Indy game and leaving them for dead...all while aiming for an "impossible" 3-peat.

That team made me, and any other hardcore fan, extremely proud.

Anyone who thinks their success is finished is under the heavy influence of wishful thinking. dynasties don't just materialize overnight, and they sure as heck don't die overnight either...the Niners went years between their titles and most consider that the most sustained run of success in modern league history.

as for "the worst," that's been covered pretty well in prior posts.

Last edited:
Ditto...

Flying Fungi said:
yeah...2001 was nice...but 2003/2004 was my preference--because the whole league could see it coming and nobody could do a damned thing about it, including rule changes and stacking the schedule...21 games straight, undefeated at the new stadium, back to back lombardis and 17-2 seasons...

worst? pick'em...hugh millen at the helm...Billy Sullivan getting decked...Darryl Stingley...1-15...locker room scandals...Victor Kiam... :bricks:

ya, and it frustrated the rest of the league because we did it with so few pro-bowlers and it wasn't flashy. It drove my non Patriot friends crazy.

2004-05 was the highlight. It capped an incredible 2 year run that hadn't been seen for about a decade (Cowboys). 1991 was the lowlight. Millen, McPherson, Rust, Kiam, Hodson, ugh.

1981. I don't know how Erhardt and that team lost 14 games, but without even going back to look at the scores, I bet we lost about 8 or 9 of those games by a score or less. That team could have easily been 10-6. The most unlucky team in Patriots history.

Fanfrom1960 said:
Minor correction: the first season in which the Patriots played was in 1960, when the league was formed and other original AFL teams also played first.

i thought too that it was 1960 (i have bought also a throwback jacket some years ago with pat patriot and 'since 1960') but from 'Tales from The Patriots sideline' there was written ''the Boston Patriots came into the world in 1959''.

Worst moment next time we are eliminated Best moment next time we hoist the lombardi....everything else is but bitter and sweet memories

upstater1 said:
2004-05 was the highlight. It capped an incredible 2 year run that hadn't been seen for about a decade (Cowboys). 1991 was the lowlight. Millen, McPherson, Rust, Kiam, Hodson, ugh.

1981. I don't know how Erhardt and that team lost 14 games, but without even going back to look at the scores, I bet we lost about 8 or 9 of those games by a score or less. That team could have easily been 10-6. The most unlucky team in Patriots history.
http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/results.nsf/Teams/1981-ne
My God, you're right, check out all the close losses!

i thought too that it was 1960 (i have bought also a throwback jacket some years ago with pat patriot and 'since 1960') but from 'Tales from The Patriots sideline' there was written ''the Boston Patriots came into the world in 1959''.
Pat, you're right in that 1959 would have been the year when the planning for the new league was completed, and the Boston Patriots were identified as one of the teams that would start playing in 1960. The AFL really was considered somewhat of a "minor league", or at least inferior to the NFL, until the Jets upset the Baltimore Colts in SB III. However, it was really a fun league because some of the offenses were so high powered (or the defenses were so bad). Look at the scores in 1961, for example.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/results.nsf/Teams/1961-bos

Fanfrom1960 said:
Pat, you're right in that 1959 would have been the year when the planning for the new league was completed, and the Boston Patriots were identified as one of the teams that would start playing in 1960. The AFL really was considered somewhat of a "minor league", or at least inferior to the NFL, until the Jets upset the Baltimore Colts in SB III. However, it was really a fun league because some of the offenses were so high powered (or the defenses were so bad). Look at the scores in 1961, for example.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/results.nsf/Teams/1961-bos

fanfrom1960: you have a beautiful avatar !
ps = not bad 1961 game: Patriots 52 - Bills 21...

fanfrom1960: you have a beautiful avatar !
ps = not bad 1961 game: Patriots 52 - Bills 21...
Pat, yes, I imagine you would like the Steve Grogan avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back