PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots acquire Marquis Flowers from Cincinnati for a 7th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I was going to post something similar except that 2 guys with the same name on defense has to deceptive and an unfair advantage. Rule changes and suspensions incoming.

I think we have two Butlers as well. Between all these Butlers and Flowers, the defense is going to be downright FANCY.

Two Flowers and two Butlers.

This feels like a move to support a move which will support another move.

Okay... then Flowers...

...wait for it...

d67e3cbc8bcf224c3aa743e497687d04d7a2e8f0_hq.gif

...is just a pawn. :)

Okay... then...

...wait for it...

...Flowers...

d67e3cbc8bcf224c3aa743e497687d04d7a2e8f0_hq.gif

...is just a pawn. :)

Well, nothing against Flowers but hes a STer and they need help there badly.

With that said, the dude has speed and quite frankly, they don't have a lot of sideline to sideline speed or a lot of cover guys at LB. He has it but I have no idea what his coverage skills are. As a fmr safety I'm guessing they are ok but since he put on 20 lbs since college so who knows.

By no means is a player who is filling in for Nink, Sheard, etc at EDGE

This feels like Jonathan Casillas.

FWIW:

Marquis Flowers, OLB/ST, Arizona ...
6025/235 (now listed at 245-250)
4.51/40 ...1.58/19yd ...24 reps ... 37.5 vert/116 long ... 4.32 shuttle/7.06 3-cone

College stats:
2010 (DB) - 11 total tackles
2011 (DB) - 68 tt ... 1.0 sacks ... 1 int/3 pd ... 1 fr
2012 (LB) - 100 tt .. 5.5 sacks ... 3 int ... [2nd on team in tt, 1st in sacks & int]
2013 (LB) - 94 tt ... 1.0 sacks ... 1 int/2 pd ... 2 fr

This sucks. With that 7th round pick we could have picked our own no-name linebacker who would only see limited time on special teams before we cut him.

Or a wide receiver like julian edelman

Beside the Brown Branch, which would make a lovely Valentine.
Omg, I forgot them... that's too funny. Makes me think of a novel or something.

"The swordsman walked along the twisting Rivers, using a Brown Branch as a walking stick. His partner, ever the Wise Guy, picked Two Flowers from the riverbed to give to his Valentine, whom they are on a quest to rescue from the Hightower, locked up by the evil Coal Man. But before they can save her and live in Harmon-y once more, they must defeat his henchmen, the Two Butlers. Will our heroes prevail?"

Part of me feels like a big reason the Pats trade away 7th round picks is for value. Other teams value the pick and frankly I wonder if they are worth having. What is the difference between most 7th round picks and UDFAs?

One is you get an extra year on the draft pick in the contract but the contract is actually substantially bigger per year.

And UDFA makes right now 1.65M over 3 years so an average of .55M and also just .465M the first year. That is the same for any position even premier ones. It is much easier to move on from such a player very quickly were as a draft pick even a late one might cost you a decent chunk of change to move on from for a player who was so high risk in the first place.

A 7th round picks makes 2.4-3M depending on position with signing bonuses typically over 60K. That is about .75M a year with more real money at risk if you cut them. You don't really get to choose those numbers much but with UDFA you can negotiate signing bonuses more.

When you think about it a team may be better off taking their 7th round pick and trading it for a bag of peanuts and getting another UDFA. I mean that literally.

In the 4th preseason game, I wonder if BB will punt on 1st/2nd downs to give extra work for his special team and back end of defense units.

I made this joke before but: Do you want to make flowers today!? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday