PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2020 Draft Class Grades

JerseyShore99

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
How do we feel about NE's class as a whole and each pick individually?

Amateur opinion: This draft gets a B from me.
  • S Kyle Dugger: B. I admit I was not looking at Kyle Dugger before the draft started. Based on scouting reports, I think this is a good pick. Dugger can be Patrick Chung's replacement. Last season, Chung was injured frequently, and Terrence Brooks was meh. Because of his athleticism, I think he will have the versatility to cover TEs, RBs out of the backfield, or even WRs. He's a good tackler, unlike Grant Delpit. The problem is that he played in D2. He has to prove (beyond Senior Bowl) that his production can carry over to the higher competition.
  • LB Josh Uche: A-. Versatility is key, here. Josh Uche has Jamie Collins potential, capable of doing it all due to his athleticism. He can rush the passer or drop into coverage. I like this pick. I don't think he's ready to start immediately, though. Maybe after a year of development. For now, he is probably going to be used as a 3rd down pass rusher.
  • DE/OLB Anfernee Jennings: C+. Not the biggest fan of this pick. Lack of elite athleticism lowers his ceiling. He's going to be a good backup or possibly become as good as Rob Ninkovich.
  • TE Devin Asiasi: B+. Patriots spent two picks on TEs this draft, and I would like to think Asiasi is the (poor man's) Gronk of the two. Gronk was obviously bigger, but Asiasi still has decent size. He has the body and athleticism to play in-line or outside. He can run a seam route. I read somewhere that he has only one drop in his final season in college. On the other hand, he's raw, and needs a lot of clean up on his technique. We need long-term solutions at TE, and I think it's a worthy gamble to take Asiasi here. I absolutely think he has more potential than Cole Kmet (but lower floor, as well).
  • TE Dalton Keene: B. If Asiasi is the mold of Gronk, then Keene is in the mold of Aaron Hernandez. The major difference is that Hernandez was productive in college, whereas Keene was underused. That said, Keene plays with a nasty edge and has YAC potential. He's not going to be as good as Asiasi at their peaks, but I think Keene will have a role in the NFL (basically, he's not going to bust).
  • K Justin Rohrwasser: ???. I don't know how to rate kickers, but Rohrwasser has a good leg, and is supposedly super clutch. That's good enough for me, I guess.
That's as far as I can go. The rest of the players I just don't know enough. However, I have heard nothing but good things about Michael Onwenu. I think he or one of the other guards we drafted will make the team, for sure.

Overall, this was a decent draft. Getting more speed/athleticism into the team is always a good thing. I am disappointed that we did not grab a speedy WR in the draft, even considering Belichick's shoddy records at drafting WR. Our top WRs next year are going to be N'Keal Harry, Julian Edelman, Mohammed Sanu, or Jakobi Meyers, not a single big-play option from these four. Sure, New England never relied on big plays after Randy Moss, but it's still a necessary option to have, especially with Stidham starting at QB, not Brady.

With all those picks, we couldn’t have gotten speed on the perimeter on offense? Two years in a row. That’s my biggest gripe.

Last year an example was Terry McLaurin. This year it’s Denzel Mims, the player we wish we had in last year’s first-rounder. Mims would have made perfect sense at 37 for us.

Minor issues is the UCLA TE needed to be an inch or two taller to nab ahead of Dayton’s Trautman.

And speaking of lack of height, what gives with Uche at 60? Stay put and Baun is there at 71. We better put Josh in platforms next to Joejuan so he doesn’t look like his little brother.

But at least this year Bill didn’t get the short end of the stick moving back up.

I am inclined to be FedEx on the Div II player. He’s effectively our first-rounder. I am absolutely, positively going to wait it out on him. He’s intriguing.

Gotta make Stevie look good, though.

Last edited:
Dalton Keene will be fun to watch if he stays healthy. And the kicker has a bad tattoo. Isn’t that redundant?

Onwenu is the real deal. He’s the MOAB at the buffet table.

If we can starve him down to 335-340, he’ll start over Mason.

Fat chance of that happening.

A very minor note on Uche. I remember a play in PSU game where UM got spread out and Uche got stuck covering Hamler. He ran a deep post and Uche took a very deep drop running just behind. Kinda like what Cover 2 asks in their MLB. Get as deep as possible.

I like the draft but don't love it. Absolutely love Uche and think he could prove a steal in the late 2nd. Would have preferred McKinney if we could have somehow traded up but am very intrigued by Dugger. And I like Asiasi too. Keene and Jennings feel like slight reaches who perhaps could have been had later but no problem with them as picks. The kicker surely could have been had as a priority free agent. Good to get the o-line depth later.

Will give it a B at this point. I'm not sure we got that wow player who is going to come in and start from day 1, although I can see Uche making an impact on 3rd down.

With all those picks, we couldn’t have gotten speed on the perimeter on offense? Two years in a row. That’s my biggest gripe.

Last year an example was Terry McLaurin. This year it’s Denzel Mims, the player we wish we had in last year’s first-rounder. Mims would have made perfect sense at 37 for us.

Minor issues is the UCLA TE needed to be an inch or two taller to nab ahead of Dayton’s Trautman.

And speaking of lack of height, what gives with Uche at 60? Stay put and Baun is there at 71. We better put Josh in platforms next to Joejuan so he doesn’t look like his little brother.

But at least this year Bill didn’t get the short end of the stick moving back up.

I am inclined to be FedEx on the Div II player. He’s effectively our first-rounder. I am absolutely, positively going to wait it out on him. He’s intriguing.

Gotta make Stevie look good, though.
Don't have a problem with Uche over Baun, both good prospects rated simlarly

Typically, I'd be disgusted with a Day 2 pick from "Lenoir-Rhyne", but Dugger's versatilty and athleticism are very intriguing...a little older (24), but curious to see how and when he is used

I was preparing myself for BB to not take a WR, even a KJ Hill seems to be a Day 3 steal or a Peoples-Jones, but nothing...interesting, you really saw the WR class fall off and fall off pretty hard by the end of Day 2

Interesting, Mason is a top 10 or so G, so doubtful for this year, but I do like Onwenu, he has the most potential of the 3 developmental OL we took
A very minor note on Uche. I remember a play in PSU game where UM got spread out and Uche got stuck covering Hamler. He ran a deep post and Uche took a very deep drop running just behind. Kinda like what Cover 2 asks in their MLB. Get as deep as possible.
I saw that as well, Uche is super verssatile...He's absolutely gonna take the KVN role...seems he may be able to cover better

• S Kyle Dugger: Like this pick, don't love it, don't hate it...Interesting versatile and athletic S...I see this as getting Pat Chung's successor as the SS, curious how NE uses him...seems he could move around the formation quite a bit...Ratings jumped after a good Senior Bowl and Combine, wonder if he's inactive to begin his career like Jamie Collins...Bonus: he returns punts and kicks...Biggest knock for me is his level of competition...Was a slight reach, but not as big a reach as some think
  • LB Josh Uche: Like this pick and prospect a lot, perfect fit in NE's D, think he can start right away where KVN played...Can rush the passer, play the run, even cover, and has experience inside as well, super interesting prospect...I think he turns out to be the best of this bunch, hopefully develops well
  • DE/OLB Anfernee Jennings: Like this prospect as well...Very productive edge rusher at Alabama, a leader of their D...at the very least he seems to be a situational rusher and hopefully when he reaches his ceiling he can play a role similar to Nink...Also has experience inside which is interesting
  • TE Devin Asiasi: Interesting TE prospect, maybe a slight reach...Raw and athletic, solid blocker, decent hands...He'll play the 87 role in this O as he can block and contribute in the pass game...Don't even want to call him a poor man's 87, but he'll likely be TE1 in September
  • TE Dalton Keene: Another interesting TE prospect, also a bit of a reach...very raw, but very athletic...never thought we would see BB target a TE hybrid in the mold of Hernandez again after years of neglecting to do so, but here we are...Expect him to move around TE/WR/FB like AH did, very curious about his ceiling...Not the best blocker, but has room to improve
  • K Justin Rohrwasser: Didn't even know the name, but has experience in bad weather and almost perfect in college, perhaps the next franchise K if the Globe doesn't force a release...Knew a K was coming in R5
  • G Michael Onwenu: The best of the 3 developmental OL that NE took, very interesting OG prospect, adds depth behind Thuney and Mason with Froholdt
  • OT Justin Herron: The least inspiring of the 3 developmental OL taken by NE...Seems like he has to move inside already, but we'll see
  • LB Cassh Maluia: Very bland LB, doesn't do anything that stands out, I assume this pick was a pure STer
  • C Dustin Woodard: Actually see some promise in Woodard, think he can develop into a solid backup at the minimum, can play all over the interior
* A handful of UDFAs have already signed, some of which very interesting, one of which paid like a roster lock (LB Scooter Harris)

In sum, NE prioritized and added versatility and athleticism all over, can't complain about that...While I didn't absolutely love any of their picks (I rarely do), I have the most hope for Uche and Jennings to contribute and live up to their selection...Dugger I'm skeptical about, but solely because of the lack of competition he faced, his athleticism is substancial...the 2 TEs were interesting as well, needed the position revamped and now it is, hopefully got a franchise K now as well and 3 interesting developmental OL

I refrain from giving any class a letter grade the day after the Draft, but I like NE's class...don't love it...Certainly don't dislike it...Hopefully this class and the last class (Which was one of my favorite NE drafts in recent memory) develop well and have the roster in a good place going forward

As with every draft, one never knows how each player will materialize. I also wouldn't give any letter grades. But, with that said, I am not unhappy with the picks. I am glad they got Uche and Onwenu, but I am a biased Michigan fan. I just hope the majority can help at some point, and some immediately. Looking forward to the season, sans Brady.

F...as in F you Bill...

Worst. Day 3. Ever.

I watched a replay of PSU/UM game. Owen we was very good. You’re right about weight. He said he played 360+. He handled Windsor and a junior Shelton who has benched 455.
He looked aware in pass blocking. Passed guys off and helped T. On one play, late in game he passed Windsor off and went out and knocked Shaqa Toney on his butt. Stayed at home(maybe because of his lack of movement ability) and picked up a couple of stunts. Long arms 34 3/8. Thuney is 32 1/4 and Mason 32 1/8. Weight control will be the key.

Uche hardly played. Baffling. Made a couple of plays when he did. One bad. Allowed Clifford to pickup a key 3rd and 8 inside red zone. Looks like an off ball LB. More in Jamie Collins role. Not really an edge player. I think big tackles will engulf him. Had a sack on a nice play he eyed up Clifford and showed good closing speed. Also, good depth on pass drop where he helped out on Hamler on previously mentioned play.

I watched a replay of PSU/UM game. Owen we was very good. You’re right about weight. He said he played 360+. He handled Windsor and a junior Shelton who has benched 455.
He looked aware in pass blocking. Passed guys off and helped T. On one play, late in game he passed Windsor off and went out and knocked Shaqa Toney on his butt. Stayed at home(maybe because of his lack of movement ability) and picked up a couple of stunts. Long arms 34 3/8. Thuney is 32 1/4 and Mason 32 1/8. Weight control will be the key.
If we could combine OneMenu's arm length, hand size & wingspan with Herron's height (inadequate for an OT as it is), vertical/broad jumps & short-shuttle (his 3-cone is disgraceful), we might actually have an OT who could possibly have an NFL career for a few years; but we can't, so...

And what the feck happened to Bill's mantra of Versatility Uber Alles? OneMenu is a RG, and a RG ONLY...He's never played Center or OT (i.e. the positions on the OL where we need help the most), and is obviously completely Incapable of helping anywhere on the Left side...

Uche hardly played. Baffling. Made a couple of plays when he did. One bad. Allowed Clifford to pickup a key 3rd and 8 inside red zone. Looks like an off ball LB. More in Jamie Collins role. Not really an edge player. I think big tackles will engulf him. Had a sack on a nice play he eyed up Clifford and showed good closing speed. Also, good depth on pass drop where he helped out on Hamler on previously mentioned play.
What a Terrible idea to sacrifice draft position to trade up for this feckin midget when Little Billy could've just stayed put and almost certainly have taken him at #71 anyway...or better still, Zach Baun...or Even Better Still, Joshua Jones....

Last edited:
If we could combine OneMenu's arm length, hand size & wingspan with Herron's height (inadequate for an OT as it is), vertical/broad jumps & short-shuttle (his 3-cone is disgraceful), we might actually have an OT who could possibly have an NFL career for a few years; but we can't, so...
And what the feck happened to Bill's mantra of Versatility Uber Alles? OneMenu is a RG, and a RG ONLY...He's never played Center or OT (i.e. the positions on the OL where we need help the most), and is obviously completely Incapable of helping anywhere on the Left side...

What a Terrible idea to sacrifice draft position to trade up for this feckin midget when Little Billy could've just stayed put and almost certainly have taken him at #71 anyway...or better still, Zach Baun...or Even Better Still, Joshua Jones....[/QUOTE]

OneMenu:eek: I'm dying. In the 6th round, I'm ok with a one-trick pony. I think Uche should
have played more. They were going with some yutes. Maybe, he pissed off Lord Harbaugh. I think he might be decent after watching him at ILB during pre-season. Want to see him diagnose
plays. Gonna have to do that to be successful in NFL.

p.s. OneMenu might be your best

I give the draft a B. I like the Oche pick I like the Dugger pick. I think Belichick solidified the run on safeties when he chose Dugger 2nd S off the board. I can see the argument that he was a slight reach but I don't think he would have lasted to 71. Its clear Bill wanted him and selected him. Uche was a trade up so he was the target. the kid bends the edge and has amazing speed to finish plays. I don't know how well it will translate when playing against NFL Tackles but he has speed and athleticism which will give him the opportunity to succeed. Jennings I think was a reach, I would like to see more athleticism but he is solid and tough and I am sure coming from Alabama that Bill has the complete book on him and knows what he is getting. The TE's Asiasi seemed to be a late riser on a lot of mock drafts and the Keene kid was all over the NE Patriots mock drafts so many saw a fit. For the most part I am good with What Belichick does in the first rounds. 2nd thru 7th I am usually disappointed because I become jaded during the couple months leading up to the draft and reviewing what the draft experts tell me should be the picks and where they should be going. I get annoyed with the reaches, guys no one has ever heard of no tape or film on the guy etc. I don't like the kickers in the 5th round or long snappers etc. even though these players are vital in assembling a quality football team but it just doesn't have the same thrill of getting the guy who has fallen two rounds or the WR who has 4.35 speed but is blind and scored a 2 on the wonderlic test. Anyway the guy is successful and wins games. its tough to argue with that.

OneMenu is funny for the big boy. You’re right, Captain Stone, about his lack of versatility.

Kyle Dugger
Hope for: Rodney Harrison - if he has the brains to read offenses
Could be: Obi Melifonwu - if he lacks instincts beyond what's required for special teams

Josh Uche
Hope for: Jamie Collins - if he develops the strength and awareness to allow for rush/cover flexibility
Could be: Shawn Crable - if body never develops enough to cover TEs and handle NFL O-linemen

Anfernee Jennings
Hope for: Rob Ninkovich - if he is strong enough to set the edge and becomes the workman DE/OLB hybrid
Could be: Jake Bequette - if he's not strong enough to win 1:1 against OTs and not fast enough to cover RBs on outlet routes

Devin Asiasi
Hope for: Baby Gronk - if he's a strong enough blocker with speed and hands to at least beat LBs in simple routes
Could be: Michael Hoomanawanui - if he's a big body that doesn't develop technique or hands

Dalton Keene:
Hope for: Aaron Hernandez - if he has the quickness and recklessness to make plays in the open field
Could be: Matt LaCosse - if he shows sloppy route running and poor hands that never makes him a legit option

Last edited:
S Kyle Dugger
Could be: Obi Melifonwu - if he lacks instincts beyond what's required for special teams

Josh Uche
Hope for: Jamie Collins - if he develops the strength and awareness to allow for rush/cover flexibility
Could be: Shawn Crable - if body never develops enough to cover TEs and handle NFL O-linemen

Anfernee Jennings
Hope for: Rob Ninkovich - if he is strong enough to set the edge and becomes the workman DE/OLB hybrid
Could be: Jake Bequette - if he's not strong enough to win 1:1 against OTs and not fast enough to cover RBs on outlet routes

Devin Asiasi
Hope for: Baby Gronk - if he's a strong enough blocker with speed and hands to at least beat LBs in simple routes
Could be: Michael Hoomanawanui - if he's a big body that doesn't develop technique or hands

Dalton Keene:
Hope for: Aaron Hernandez - if he has the quickness and recklessness to make plays in the open field
Could be: Matt LaCosse - if he shows sloppy route running and poor hands that never makes him a legit option
A simplistic, yet excellent post...For the most part, I expect these guys to fall in between

Kyle Dugger

Josh Uche

Anfernee Jennings

Devin Asiasi

Dalton Keene:

A simplistic, yet excellent post...For the most part, I expect these guys to fall in between
Yeah I like these comparisons too...both the best-case and the worst-case scenarios.

I know this won't sit well with PATS fans, as I have been one for over 30 years. I would give this draft an F.

Prior to the draft they Franchise OL Thuney for almost 14 million. No money left for free agents. There wasn't a free agent OL, they could have signed for 7-10 million?
After what they selected after trading down, I wish they had stayed at 23. At 23 they could have gotten an immediate impact starter: Kenneth Murray, LB, Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Xavier McKinney, S.
Then they could have traded back into the second round and gotten another starter.
I don't see where they improved. The safety comes from Division II. Who knows? He probably won't play except on special teams.
The linebacker from LB Josh Uche might be good but could have gotten starter in round 1.
As for the other players, two of them will be starters by default, K & TE.
What about WR? Last year slow as molasses. Couldn't get separation.
What about backup QB? Hoyer? Really?

I predict they will finish third or last in division. Tough schedule. Lost key starters. Little improvement on offense and defense.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back