PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots’ 2020 Rookies Are ‘Further Behind’ Than Ever, Bill Belichick Says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes some rookies with no preseason and limited training camp should beat out two veteran players who have had time in the system. Yeah, ok....:rolleyes:

Are you not aware that the TE position is the hardest position to learn after QB in the Pats offense? Brady has said this. Someone recently pointed this out. Let's wait it out.

Again, our offense is complicated, it's not easy for wide receivers either.
Oh that's right....yet Cam Newton who was newly signed, coming off of an injury, limited training camp and no preseason beat out two guys "who have had time in the system". If you're better then the other guy, you'll beat him out. Asasi and Keene have been virtually non existent to Izzo who is regarded as one of the worst TE's in the game. We are in week 6 now, they've had plenty of time to at least make us think they are still on the team. :rofl: I see Asasi out there every once in a while, but there's a search party out for Keene.
Harry, to date, has not been able to get open on those deeper and intermediate routes. He can’t even beat single coverage on those routes, let alone when there’s a deep safety shaded to his side. 9 yards per reception on his career. That’s... not good.
We know he's not running by anybody. But his calling card is going up for 50/50 balls which he drew a flag late in the Seattle game. I want to see more plays giving him a shot in the intermediate part of the field - doesn't have to be deep. You're just not going to get much out of him throwing him 1-2 yard passes and making a big lumbering WR immediately start dodging quick DB's. And at the very worst, use him in the damn red zone! They finally did against KC and what do you know? He caught a TD.

Harry, to date, has not been able to get open on those deeper and intermediate routes. He can’t even beat single coverage on those routes, let alone when there’s a deep safety shaded to his side. 9 yards per reception on his career. That’s... not good.

That's... not good and,... not bad either.

I think everyone forgot that Thuney fit right in his rookie year. But Cajuste and Froholdt can not get on the field while Onwenu and Herron are playing. One of my last posts was, "Underachievers usually continue to underachieve". That post applies to guys in the league for a few years, not rookies. We always say it takes awhile, see Edelman and SweetFeet, but then loose patience 4 games into their rookie year. Maybe we missed on Cajuste or Froholdt, but hit on Omwenu and Herron? That is what happens. Be happy with the HITS, and stop experiencing heart burn over the MISSES.

Have you forgotten the steady improvement of Adam Butler? Did you notice that Cowart's improved play in his 2nd year? Edelman's progression? White's progression? Although Winovich was OK as a rookie, he is much better as a sophomore. BB will cut ties quickly with guys that have no chance, i.e. Sanu, so let's show some patience, if BB has not cut ties.

@TheRainMaker thinks we should design some plays to fit Harry's skill set instead of being patient and watching how Harry fits into the Patriots system over the next few years. I disagree completely. The system is more important than any WR or any 1st round draft pick, and Harry is improved this year. Think long-term not short-term. Harry will be greatly improved later this year and next year. I am so glad that Newton has embraced Harry - he sees the talent and is fostering it, not trying to design plays to force Harry's involvement. I have no idea what to say to people that think the talent is more important than the system - after 20 years have you learned nothing????????

We had a bunch of players leave in free agency, then more left because of COVID, we are eating a lot of cap space, and still we are in a competitive situation. RELAX. Everything is good!!! The system is working and we are doing extremely well. Enjoy the ride :)

Oh that's right....yet Cam Newton who was newly signed, coming off of an injury, limited training camp and no preseason beat out two guys "who have had time in the system". If you're better then the other guy, you'll beat him out. Asasi and Keene have been virtually non existent to Izzo who is regarded as one of the worst TE's in the game. We are in week 6 now, they've had plenty of time to at least make us think they are still on the team. :rofl: I see Asasi out there every once in a while, but there's a search party out for Keene.
Are you stupid or something? Cam Newton has been in the league for like 10 years now. Grow a brain!

@TheRainMaker thinks we should design some plays to fit Harry's skill set instead of being patient and watching how Harry fits into the Patriots system over the next few years. I disagree completely.
Sure make a guy do something he's not good at. :thumbsup:

The system is more important than any WR or any 1st round draft pick
So with that being said, should they just not design plays for Cam and tell him to run the same offense Brady had because no player is more important than the system? Nope, that hasn't been the case as the offense is not the same as we've seen with Brady.

Don't see why they can't design plays to make Harry more effective.

That's... not good and,... not bad either.
That's actually really bad in this era, but I blame that on the 1-2 yards per attempt.

Last edited:
Even more impressive and amazing that Onwenu is playing like a pro bowl OLine guard.

The TEs have been the most disappointing group.

McDaniels has never shown any ability to develop tight ends. He inherited Gronk and Edelman, from O'Brien. McDaniels has not developed any Patriot TEs or receivers from 2012 to now, nor between 2005-2009 before he left to go win 0.100 of his games for a bit in Denver and St Louis.

Sure make a guy do something he's not good at. :thumbsup:

So with that being said, should they just not design plays for Cam and tell him to run the same offense Brady had because no player is more important than the system? Nope, that hasn't been the case as the offense is not the same as we've seen with Brady.

Don't see why they can't design plays to make Harry more effective.

That's actually really bad in this era, but I blame that on the 1-2 yards per attempt.

We will have to agree to disagree. I am confident that Harry can adjust to the system, he has natural talent. I think it would be a mistake to design plays for his supposed skillset. Not the same as Newton.

What "huge edge"?

We have received NOTHING from ANY drafted WRs & TEs for quite awhile now, and have lost football games (including PO games) because of them...And which of those with whom we have shown patience has worked out anyway?

Asiasi & especially Keene were over-drafted and what's worse were over-drafted after Bill traded UP for both of them when there were better prospects still available without having to trade up for them at all...

Scouting & player development staffs, including the TEs & WRs coaches, need a Complete Overhaul.

More of your complete and utter BS regarding WRs and TEs and Belichick drafting in general.

Your claims that Asiasi and Keene were over-drafted shows, yet again, that you don't know wtf you are talking about. Both were rated as 3rd round picks. Your claims that there were "better prospects" still available is complete BS and revisionist on your part.

What football games have we lost because of our WR and TE draft picks? Please give actual examples.. Not putrid speculation with "ifs", "couldas", and "wouldas". If you aren't willing to do that, then you know everything you just spewed is garbage.

Kind of expected when you take two of them in a bad draft for TEs. I’m looking forward to watching Caserio work his “magic” with Houston.
Actually wasn’t a bad draft for TEs, it might just be we drafted bad TEs. We won’t know until 2022 when they finally know the offense and are allowed on the field.

What if he summarily executed people at the 50 yard line?
Really depends on the people.
If it was certain people, I'd nominate him for God-hood.

At least he did something in the Chiefs game, unlike Julian Dropman that pretty much cost any slight chance the Pats still had in that game.

But yes go ahead and tell me how Stidham blah blah blah even though Dropman's 2 hands touched the ball
The fact that anyone on a Patriots message board would refer to Edelman as "Dropman" speaks volumes about how far this board has sunk into the morass of both specific unappreciative idiocy and general football stupidity. Moron...

The fact that anyone on a Patriots message board would refer to Edelman as "Dropman" speaks volumes about how far this board has sunk into the morass of both specific unappreciative idiocy and general football stupidity. Moron...
Yeah. Don’t they remember that’s a trademark owned by Amendola?

I am very ignorant so before someone tells me I don't know **** about football for saying this, just know I agree.

I don't know why it's so hard for rookies to catch on. Other than becoming a professional and all the other side things that being paid to play football brings, how much different is the principle? Learn the playbook, learn your job. Is that really so hard that rookies need a whole damn year to pick it up? Do they really need months upon months of offseason workouts that bad to know "when this play is called, I do this." I just don't really get it
The college game and the pro game are radically different in this sport. It isn’t basketball where it’s basically the same. Think of how often the greatest college players completely fail at the pro level. Heisman Trophy winners - who are the best college players on any given season - fail in the pros as often as succeed.

Clearly you haven't been paying attention. For all of Edelman's catches, he led the league in dropped passes last year and he's not exactly been the epitome of reliable this year. The only two people worse than Edelman in terms of Catch % are Taylor (1/2) and Izzo (3/8).

I love Edelman and he's been a GOD in previous years, but he's not the reliable guy he once was.

Saying he is a player that has come up clutch a lot of times and acknowledging he is also dropping a fair share of passes is not mutually exclusive.

I'm not the most knowledgeable on these things either. But, for what it's worth, a link to an old Pats playbook was posted once. I looked at it for about 5 minutes before my head almost exploded. I think it gets far more complex than college, and not only do the players have to learn it, but they have to learn it so well that there is no hesitation or false steps once they are on the field. Then there's the physical development aspect where some rookies need to get stronger, adjust to the speed of the game, wrs/cbs need to learn the finer points of route running and hand fighting, I imagine TEs have a ton on their plate with routes and blocking schemes to learn, etc.
I think the complexity of it is the most daunting part for the rookies. Some teams simplify the route running. For some, it is " run a 7 route" or run a "9" (go) and they perfect that aspect while the Patriots offense ( I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is predicated on recognizing the defense Cover-2, man, a blitz and adjusting the route accordingly. Some rookies 'get it '' right away like Deion Branch, Malcolm Mitchell or Jabar Gaffney, a street free agent. Others, even seasoned veterans couldn't adapt even if they had success elsewhere like Ocho Cinco or Joey Galloway.
I compare it to going from high school chemistry to organic chemistry.... mind numbing for most...

New England Patriots Offense (2003) - Charlie Weis

Last edited:
Saying he is a player that has come up clutch a lot of times and acknowledging he is also dropping a fair share of passes is not mutually exclusive.
Anowledging recent dropped passes and denigratingly referring to a guy like Edelman as "Dropman" aren't the same. But, perhaps that's just me.

Clearly you haven't been paying attention. For all of Edelman's catches, he led the league in dropped passes last year and he's not exactly been the epitome of reliable this year. The only two people worse than Edelman in terms of Catch % are Taylor (1/2) and Izzo (3/8).

I love Edelman and he's been a GOD in previous years, but he's not the reliable guy he once was.
Clear!y you're an unappreciative Johnny-come-lately.

Anowledging recent dropped passes and denigratingly referring to a guy like Edelman as "Dropman" aren't the same. But, perhaps that's just me.

What do you mean recent ? It has been a problem throughout most of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes