PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

If Niners want to rid of JimmyG, BillB should just wait till he gets cut. Do not trade and save the draft capital.

BillB still needs to draft a QB. Just not a Newman or Mond. IMO

I dunno. Can’t talk for others, but I rated him “solid QB who knows the system and has had success”. He’s not Brady.

Question : how many current QBs are better than Jimmy ?
Well, better is a slightly different question than valuable. While I think OLD Matt Ryan is better currently, I also think he's less valuable.

In terms of value, I put 18 guys ahead of Jimmy.

Well, better is a slightly different question than valuable. While I think OLD Matt Ryan is better currently, I also think he's less valuable.

Jimmy vs guys we can realistically get?
Honestly based on what we are seeing in trades the Colts stole Wentz.
Who can we get that could help us win more games over the next day 2 seasons than Jimmy G?

I'm gutted we didn't take the opportunity not to at least move to 6. Having a QB drop or to take Chase or Pitts was a great position to be had.. also could have stopped the 49er deal as that could have happened only if Miami got back up to 6!

If Niners want to rid of JimmyG, BillB should just wait till he gets cut. Do not trade and save the draft capital.

BillB still needs to draft a QB. Just not a Newman or Mond. IMO
I'm not sure anymore that BB needs to draft a QB.

There is simply no way we're going to trade into the spots we need to, given what we've already seen.

The assets needed to get up to 7 are now pretty much known, 2 firsts and an extra pick later, but that's only going to get you Mac Jones, no one better, and I wouldn't even take him with our pick at 15.

I don't know how the Patriots feel about the other QBs but given the fact that people are all over the map on them (some have athletic abilities but appear to be blockheads, like Mills, whereas others can dissect a defense but they have weak arms and they move like Dan Marino after he's been petrified, like Trask) makes me think it's OK to pass on a QB this year given the incredible amount of assets people are using to trade up to get them (49ers). And as for Jimmy G, it is telling that his team gave up 3 1st rounders + to move into a position for Trey Lance or Fields. So, sure we can all laugh at the 49ers for overpaying, but there is no denying that they have made their feelings known about Jimmy G. If they believed Jimmy could guide them to a Super Bowl victory, there is no way they would have given up that many picks yesterday.

If the 49ers are expecting a premium pick from the Patriots, I hope Belichick waits them out and doesn't do it. Jimmy has some warts and he's also 30 years old, and he also has a massive contract.

Last edited:
Jimmy vs guys we can realistically get?
Honestly based on what we are seeing in trades the Colts stole Wentz.
Who can we get that could help us win more games over the next day 2 seasons than Jimmy G?

That wasn't the question.

And I totally disagree that the Colts stole Wentz.

There's a valuation that needs to happen here.

Stafford is worth it because he's a top notch QB. Wentz and Jimmy are not because they're not.

It's just like what's happening in the draft. If you're sold and Fields and Lance, then giving up multiple first rounders is worth it. But that doesn't mean you give up much to trade up for Mac Jones. There's a cut off point between the elite and the ordinary.

I would not give up a premium pick for Jimmy, and if BB does it, he will have been fleeced. In fact, he would have been rooked, because it would have made more sense at that point to trade up into the #6 spot for a guy like Lance given all the salary cap space a rookie QB will give you for the next 4 years.

I'm gutted we didn't take the opportunity not to at least move to 6. Having a QB drop or to take Chase or Pitts was a great position to be had.. also could have stopped the 49er deal as that could have happened only if Miami got back up to 6!

Miami may be jumping back up to take Penei Sewell. We can't assume they're going for a QB. All 4 top QBs may be gone by #6.

I'm not sure anymore that BB needs to draft a QB.

There is simply no way we're going to trade into the spots we need to, given what we've already seen.

The assets needed to get up to 7 are now pretty much known, 2 firsts and an extra pick later, but that's only going to get you Mac Jones, no one better, and I wouldn't even take him with our pick at 15.

I don't know how the Patriots feel about the other QBs but given the fact that people are all over the map on them (some have athletic abilities but appear to be blockheads, like Mills, whereas others can dissect a defense but they have weak arms and they move like Dan Marino after he's been petrified, like Trask) makes me think it's OK to pass on a this year given the incredible amount of assets people are using to trade up to get them (49ers). And as for Jimmy G, it is telling that his team gave up 3 1st rounders + to move into a position for Trey Lance or Fields. So, sure we can all laugh at the 49ers for overpaying, but there is no denying that they have made their feelings known about Jimmy G. If they believed Jimmy could guide them to a Super Bowl victory, there is no way they would have given up that many picks yesterday.

If the 49ers are expecting a premium pick from the Patriots, I hope Belichick waits them out and doesn't do it. Jimmy has some warts and he's also 30 years old, and he also has a massive contract.

I think Jimmy is the most realistic option right now. The trades yesterday blew up the draft board If the Patriots we're enamored with a Fields etc.

I think you are going to get Jimmy for cheaper than he'd making now and for less than what the niners are saying.

Right now they have to play the game of saying he's their guy. Teams know Jimmy G is gone in a year at the latest which gives the niners less leverage. Their argument to the niners is "you can cut this guy in a year or take our 2nd or 3rd now"

Mike florio says the niners most likely will ask Jimmy to take a pay cut. Not sure how it will go over but imagine being told to take a pay cut and train your replacement.

It's kind of funny too we talk about Jimmy being 30. Granted he hasn't been durable but the guy in tampa is 43 and the guy in green bay will be 39

I’d be more interested in “better” than “better value”. I do not think Ryan is better, straight up. Jimmy wins, Ryan loses. And for those who say Jimmy’s team props him up : you need only check out SF’s record w and w/o him...

On average, I think each division has one QB better than Jimmy. What record would NE end with this year with competent QB play ? 11-6 ?

Yep, that indicates a bit for me the jets are going with Wilson here. But still i found it interesting that philly would like another QB so they are not sold an hurts after only 1 year. That's huge after having a mess o-Line and not good WR. The drop Off is indicated by their actions I agree but the 49ers thought different if they stay at 3 cause they payed a lot for fields/jones/lance.

Lol at "Lolphins" good one @One-If-By-Sea

Lolphins is funny but it is not mine. I saw it on PatsFans with another poster.

Chris Sims, who has been as good as anyone in predicting rookie QB success, thinks Wilson is better than Lawrence. He also thinks Jones is 3, Mond is the 4th best QB, followed by Fields and Lance. He did not put Mills on the list. He has been as accurate as anyone else over the last few years with his predictions. I have no idea about grading QBs, but found that interesting. Chris Simms' Quarterback Rankings for the 2021 NFL Draft

Mike florio says the niners most likely will ask Jimmy to take a pay cut. Not sure how it will go over but imagine being told to take a pay cut and train your replacement.
Unless he's really attached to playing in the Bay Area, I don't see any reason why he'd agree to a pay cut.

Miami went back to 6 because they do not want a QB. Miami traded out of 3 because they think the QBs after Wilson and Lawrence suck. The Eagles agree and traded down to 12. Why are you gutted?

Miami may be jumping back up to take Penei Sewell. We can't assume they're going for a QB. All 4 top QBs may be gone by #6.

Or after Wilson and Lawrence, the next 2 or 4 QBs might come off the board in the late 1st/2nd round.

I think Jimmy is the most realistic option right now. The trades yesterday blew up the draft board If the Patriots we're enamored with a Fields etc.

I think you are going to get Jimmy for cheaper than he'd making now and for less than what the niners are saying.

Right now they have to play the game of saying he's their guy. Teams know Jimmy G is gone in a year at the latest which gives the niners less leverage. Their argument to the niners is "you can cut this guy in a year or take our 2nd or 3rd now"

It's kind of funny too we talk about Jimmy being 30. Granted he hasn't been durable but the guy in tampa is 43 and the guy in green bay will be 39

I agree. Why would JG take a pay cut? Isn't he a FA in 2 years? The 9ers will cut him and he knows he will land in NE and BB will love him. BB took care of him when he traded him. If I was him I would say NO to a pay cut. He has a non trade clause I understand - he is in complete control of the situation.

I’d be more interested in “better” than “better value”. I do not think Ryan is better, straight up. Jimmy wins, Ryan loses. And for those who say Jimmy’s team props him up : you need only check out SF’s record w and w/o him...

On average, I think each division has one QB better than Jimmy. What record would NE end with this year with competent QB play ? 11-6 ?
How does Jimmy win but Ryan lose? They were in the same position in the Super Bowl, and both of them choked.

Ryan makes better throws.

Chris Sims, who has been as good as anyone in predicting rookie QB success, thinks Wilson is better than Lawrence. He also thinks Jones is 3, Mond is the 4th best QB, followed by Fields and Lance. He did not put Mills on the list. He has been as accurate as anyone else over the last few years with his predictions. I have no idea about grading QBs, but found that interesting. Chris Simms' Quarterback Rankings for the 2021 NFL Draft

You are going to listen to the guy who has been saying for the last five or six years that Brady isn't a top ten QB?

He thinks Brady is mediocre too, so there's that.

Me neither. I just hope we get a qb bc newton and Stidham again is nOt the answer.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back