PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Paddy Chung unhappy (possibly fit?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? How do you know? Do you have some sort of special connection to the Belichick injury report that the rest of us don't know about?

Face it, you're speculating just like everyone else.
OK, I will rephrase. Because there is nothing KNOWN that has changed.
Again, you need to check your definiton of speculate.

Well you were the one who inserted yourself into the discussion, so it is appropriate that you set the terms for exiting it.

:confused2:

It's not setting terms. It's realizing what you were up to by the way you avoided answering a very simple question.

Chung is solid against the run, and might be useful in a "big nickel" type of package where he's taking on TE's. However, as a starting safety, he's pretty bad against the pass. He's constantly out of position (which is why he's usually a second or two too late to the play) and isn't useful as a big hitter because of his size and the fact that he's so prone to injury. Though we lose a little against the run with McCourty, we gain that much more against the pass. Keep McCourty and let the front seven handle the run.
But that's my point. Exactly how many safeties in the league ARE good a both run support AND coverage. Not many, maybe a handful at most. Chung clearly isn't in that group, but he probably falls into a much larger category of good run support guys who give you very up and down coverage in the passing game.

If people could only talk about what is factually proven, this message board wouldn't exist, and neither would sports talk radio, or even ESPN. What is the matter about discussing conjecture? Chung tweeted something that raised some eyebrows and then deleted it right away. Do we know for sure what he was trying to say? No. Should that fact alone discourage any type of speculation around the topic? Obviously not. This is pretty much why places like PatsFans exist.
Your comments here support my position. I am saying that it is silly to take a tweet and turn that into proof that he was a healthy scratch and (as was posted) now is last on the depth chart fighting Ebner to be active, with nothing to corroborate it.
Sure, places like this exist in part to speculate, but also for someone to call bs on the speculation. Otherwise it would be a bunch of one post speculation threads.

:confused2:

It's not setting terms. It's realizing what you were up to by the way you avoided answering a very simple question.

The question was irrelevant to the discussion I was having, so I didn't answer it so as to not divert the conversation. If you wish to have a different conversation feel free, but I had not interest in changing the one I was having into something else.
As it stands, Chungs status as a NE Patriot S has everything to do with him in comparison to who else is on the roster at his position.

The question was irrelevant to the discussion I was having, so I didn't answer it so as to not divert the conversation. If you wish to have a different conversation feel free, but I had not interest in changing the one I was having into something else.
As it stands, Chungs status as a NE Patriot S has everything to do with him in comparison to who else is on the roster at his position.

The question of whether Chung is playing well (in your eyes in this particular case) was by no means irrelevant to the discussion.

Last edited:
Chung (Strong Safety)
McCourtey (Free Safety)

But that's my point. Exactly how many safeties in the league ARE good a both run support AND coverage. Not many, maybe a handful at most. Chung clearly isn't in that group, but he probably falls into a much larger category of good run support guys who give you very up and down coverage in the passing game.

If you're asking how many elite safeties there are, then my answer is not many. But if you're talking safeties that are at least decent in both, there are quite a few. Chung is good at run support, bordering at awful against the pass. With McCourty, I believe that it's a better trade. He gets to keep his eyes to the ball and has better ball skills of the two. We lose a little against the run, but the run has mostly been cleaned up by the front seven this year anyway.

With that in mind, the safeties should remain McCourty and Gregory. Chung has had an absolutely horrid season vs. the pass.

I dunno. At least Chung is good against the run. I'm not sure Gregory is good against either.

I dunno. At least Chung is good against the run. I'm not sure Gregory is good against either.

Gregory is no prize, either. That's what many of us were saying prior to the season. But, at least IMO, he's better against the pass than Chung is.

Gregory is no prize, either. That's what many of us were saying prior to the season. But, at least IMO, he's better against the pass than Chung is.

I would say barring injuries i think Chung may have lost his Starting job. I could live with the trio of McCourty - Gregory and Wilson. Chung = Back-up worse case scenario.

Last edited:
The question of whether Chung is playing well (in your eyes in this particular case) was by no means irrelevant to the discussion.
Not really because the discussion is about how he could have lost his job while injured.
Losing yor job requires someone to take it. When he was injured he was the starter, and the guy playing the most safety snaps. That is where his level of play got him. His level of play hasn't changed while he was injured so I'm not sure what it would have to do with his status changing while injured?
If you want to keep having a conversation about not having a conversation, OK, but I think its distracting from the thread so I won't have more to say on the matter.

I would say barring injuries i think Chung may have lost his Starting job. I could live with the trio of McCourty - Gregory and Wilson. Chung = Back-up wrose case scenario.
What would put him behind Gregory and Wilson now when he clearly wasn't when he was healthy?

Because McCourty is now playing Chung's position.
No he isn't. Greagory is playing Chungs position. I think it was Chatham that did a piece on this saying that both players are playing out of position.

No he isn't. Greagory is playing Chungs position. I think it was Chatham that did a piece on this saying that both players are playing out of position.

I must have been mistaken then. I could have sworn that McCourty was lining up at SS and Gregory was lining up at FS.

Not really because the discussion is about how he could have lost his job while injured.

If you think his level of play, regardless of how you think it compares to the alternatives, doesn't enter into that, I don't know what to tell you beyond letting you know that you're wrong, and that you'd normally be the first person to tell someone who made that argument that they were wrong.

Last edited:
I must have been mistaken then. I could have sworn that McCourty was lining up at SS and Gregory was lining up at FS.
Actually we play it mostly as LS and RS, but no, Mccourty is in the spot that resembles free safety, and Gregory in the one that resembles strong safety.

If you think his level of play, regardless of how you think it compares to the alternatives, doesn't enter into that, I don't know what to tell you beyond letting you know that you're wrong, and that you'd normally be the first person to tell someone who made that argument that they were wrong.
Who plays depends on the comparative level of play, suggesting that the other players available are irrelevant to playing time is what is wrong. "Regardless of how it compares to the alternatives' is not a realistic statement. Let me be the first to point that out about your argument. ;)

I remember when he first came here there was so much fanfare and happiness. A lot of chuck norris type quotes.

Now it's almost as if he's being mocked. "butthurt", etc.? Seems a little unseemly. He tries hard, you have to give him that. Not sure about his play in the passing game, I'm not expert enough to know what he's doing wrong.

I hope he gets some good playing time against the jets and dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes